Thread: Bad outfit making experience (tail and bra)

Junior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Evangeline's Avatar

Bad outfit making experience (tail and bra)

**I am low on cash, and in a rush to get my outfit done by the 16th for a party... Which is why I didnt run to the store to go buy anything besides silicon.

Yesterday, I had decided to paint my tail... It was totally painted, but I didnt like how it looked, so I found a spray bottle in the car, emptied out what was in it, and replaced it with paint... and started spraying... the front side...
    It looked almost perfect for a spray bottle... Infact, I was pretty happy with it... I love the spray look... Makes it look more natural. And the bottle, well... it helped a lot...
    Anyways, so that was done... went to the back side, and the spray bottle broke.... I sat there, and realized... when you swim, people see the back side, when you are laying in a pool, people see the back side, most of the time while modeling, people see the back side....
    UGH!! I did not want to run to the store at 8 at night, or the next day (since I was supposed to go somewhere but ended up not going) I did the best I could, but ended up not liking it at all....
    I also realized, after I was finished with it, that I didnt like the colors.... Maybe if I had gotten metallic paint, it would have been a lot better. I sprayed it down with waterproof spray, and put it away. I also painted the dorsal and decided I didnt like it,... luckily the paint wasnt waterproof, and I didnt waterproof it... so It should wash off...

Bra:
    Ok, got my old bra, and fabric... glued it on there, and went downstairs to sew it on... Got one part sewed on... well, 1/4 I should say.... and than my needle broke... So, I went upstairs to get another needle... As soon as I got back downstairs... the power had gone out... =/ So I ended up sewing the thing by hand... Well... ok, that wasnt too bad... So than I cut it, went outside, and cut open the silicon... Well I didnt have anything to push it out of the bottle, but as I usually did, got the handle of the scissors and pushed down... POP! The bottom cap poped into the container, and splattered onto my face... Great. So I was scooping it out, and onto the bra. Mess was everywhere. (Luckily I was doing this outside) I than realized my clay mold I had made,.... a month ago, was soft... (I never baked it because I realized after so long, it actually does harden on its own) I had sprayed it with silicon unstick, waterproofer stuff... Did it make my mold soft? Well, it was more of a stamp than an actual mold... How are you supposed to make sure that your silicon doesnt stick, and glues itself to the mold?! Cooking spray? >.> So my mold had gotten soft,... power was out so I couldnt bake my mold... I had already put the silicon onto my top when I realized that the mold was soft... I couldnt wait THAT long for the power to kick back on... So I tried to see if it'd work... was still really firm... But as soon as I layed it down, and tried to pick it back up, it just fell apart into a bunch of pieces...
    I was so sad... I had made it look like actual scales... Kinda like mermaid Raven's tails...
    Thats ok... I'll just MAKE the prints onto the bra... Yea,... no... the silicon (of course) just stuck to the object, and made it look stupid... So I just made everything look pretty, and than.... 'oh, whats this fishnet thing doing in this container?' So I tried that,... the silicon was already too dry, and just made it look stupid... I had already washed my hands, and didnt feel like putting on another coat to smooth everything out again, not to mention, I only had a tiny bit left.

As soon as I did some sort of finishing rough touches.... The power came back on...
    Last edited by Evangeline; 06-08-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    User previously known as "Bellatrix".

Tumblr
    Mermaid Facebook
    Etsy (Mermaid items soon to come)

Oh you poor dear! You just seem to have been having a barrel of problems. :<
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Yup... If I had the money, tools, and time, I could make things perfectly... Luckily, there is always next time n.n

Tumblr
    Mermaid Facebook

Aww geeze that sounds like what happens to me sometimes xD
    Sorry about all the back luck, sometimes it just catches up with you @_@
    Either way, at least now you have some learning experience. You'll probably remember to
    check twice on everything before you start and stuff like that.

Hope you make your deadline~
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Wow, what a fiasco. When it rains, it pours hu? Maybe that just means all your bad luck is run out so next time all that won't get in your way! Here's hoping!

Lol, yes, but thats how it always works, one thing goes wrong, they alll go wrong. I have so much extra fabric, and clay, so I'm going to see if I could make that mold again, and actually bake it, and see how that works. Has anyone actually used a mold (not like wires, or net) do I need to let the silicon harden slightly before putting the mold on? Or leave the mold there till the silicon is fully dry?

Tumblr
    Mermaid Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Visit MermaidMermeron(Cameron)'s Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidHaru View Post
    That's horrible! I'm so so sorry!