Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Monofin Jump!

I'm actually training for this. In a 4 meters deep pool, I breach the water just above my knees. Already proud of that achievement. After I complete my freedive training I hope to be able to dive deeper so I can attain more speed before I breach.

I have a Subgear Trygons competitor monofin, in case anyone was wondering. With my fabric tail (which has a hydra monofin), I breach just above my hips.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLyara View Post
    I'm actually training for this. In a 4 meters deep pool, I breach the water just above my knees. Already proud of that achievement. After I complete my freedive training I hope to be able to dive deeper so I can attain more speed before I breach.

I have a Subgear Trygons competitor monofin, in case anyone was wondering. With my fabric tail (which has a hydra monofin), I breach just above my hips.
    Wow, that sounds exciting! I can't wait to hear how your training goes! Best of luck!
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

^Thanks I will post my progress in this topic.

Training for this jump with a competitor monofin is SO MUCH FUN!

Has anyone succeeded? I have not yet.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I can do the jump in a 2m depth pool. But you gotta make those abs work to get really high! Even though I don't clear the water like Monofin Jump Guy, its still fun and will get ya a bunch of looks.
    Formerly known as ireneho

carefull guys! This is how I broke my Mono... The blade takes on a lot of stress if you don't completely clear it out of the water

I made a video recording my attempt at doing a jump in a tail. I wasn't as successful as I wanted to be since the mahina is very floppy and the pool was only 12ft deep. I was only able to make it out of the water to mid-thigh (and I can do that without fins!) I'll have to try again when I get a stronger monofin and access to deeper water.

I tried it again later during swim practice with a foil monofin but that monofin was too weak for my kick. The monofin fit my feet pretty well. It was pretty tight (which is how I like my fins) but the rubber straps on the heels were very thin. The force of my kick actually stretched the heel rubber far enough that the monofin would fly off my feet! I couldn't even kick 3 meters (off the wall or from the bottom of the pool) without the monofin flying off!
    Mermaid Sagittaria

Gonna try it with my Waterway when I get the chance
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    I attempted a shallow breach in a 4ft pool (hotel) via keeping my momentum going right to the buildup so I don't burn energy getting started. It worked somewhat to get a more fluid surface movement similar to porpoising with the added momentum, so I wonder if that might make it easier for the mers able to access the deeper pools to attempt by doing a smooth arc than stopping at the bottom and starting from a standstill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocoree View Post
    I attempted a shallow breach in a 4ft pool (hotel) via keeping my momentum going right to the buildup so I don't burn energy getting started. It worked somewhat to get a more fluid surface movement similar to porpoising with the added momentum, so I wonder if that might make it easier for the mers able to access the deeper pools to attempt by doing a smooth arc than stopping at the bottom and starting from a standstill.
    You're right. It probably would be easier to do in a deeper pool. When we do flip turns in a race, turning around and redirecting your momentum efficently is always important. Turns are more efficent when you have a lot of speed going into them. You don't get stuck at the wall, you move quicker, and if your turn is really good, you actually have more speed coming off the wall than you did going into it. I'd imagine swimming fast enough to be able to breach the surface is pretty similar.

My attempt was in a 12ft (3 1/2 meters) deep pool. It normally takes me about 10-15 meters to reach my max speed while swimming (or kicking underwater). Trying it in deeper water (with a stronger monofin) would probably be more successful.
    Mermaid Sagittaria

Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by TybeeMermaid View Post
    You're right. It probably would be easier to do in a deeper pool. When we do flip turns in a race, turning around and redirecting your momentum efficently is always important. Turns are more efficent when you have a lot of speed going into them. You don't get stuck at the wall, you move quicker, and if your turn is really good, you actually have more speed coming off the wall than you did going into it. I'd imagine swimming fast enough to be able to breach the surface is pretty similar.

My attempt was in a 12ft (3 1/2 meters) deep pool. It normally takes me about 10-15 meters to reach my max speed while swimming (or kicking underwater). Trying it in deeper water (with a stronger monofin) would probably be more successful.
    I had noticed that movement in the olympic races I've seen, and sometimes it's faster than you can register! My observation was mostly from watching a few mers stopping at the bottom and reorienting before pushing off into a sprint for the surface. The bay at my folks' island is maybe 15-25 ft in most areas with a silt bottom. I may give it a try there if there aren't too many moon jellyfish lurking around in the summer. Only problem is the visibility is terrible at 3-5ft :/ Yay for Maine coastline XP

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    I had noticed that movement in the olympic races I've seen, and sometimes it's faster than you can register! My observation was mostly from watching a few mers stopping at the bottom and reorienting before pushing off into a sprint for the surface. The bay at my folks' island is maybe 15-25 ft in most areas with a silt bottom. I may give it a try there if there aren't too many moon jellyfish lurking around in the summer. Only problem is the visibility is terrible at 3-5ft :/ Yay for Maine coastline XP
    Moon jellys? Hell yeah, count me in! xD

Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Moon jellys? Hell yeah, count me in! xD
    Lol, I remember one summer you couldn't kayak five feet without hitting a swarm 2 ft thick in our bay. So many poor jellies got torn up by propellers that season :C It was fascinating seeing white, cream, blue, green, and pink jellies floating around.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    . So many poor jellies got torn up by propellers that season :C It was fascinating seeing white, cream, blue, green, and pink jellies floating around.
    Thats awful. Poor things are just trying to live, and unfortunately so are we.

This thing looks difficult. Doubt I can do something like this but would like to try...
    Though, recently I'm more deep kind fish, like slow sweemeng toching the bottom.