Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tailmaking from old wetsuits?

Tailmaking from old wetsuits?

Has anyone here tried making a tail from recycled wetsuits? I found a wetsuit at a thrift store, and I've decided to make it my project to turn it into a mermaid tail. (I'm a broke college student, just looking for a cheaper way!)
    I know that Mermaid Kariel makes her tails from recycled wetsuits, but hers look so perfect, and I can't figure out how to do it without showing seams everywhere. Anyone have advice?

Senior Member Pod of The South WavyMermaidy's Avatar
    Good question...I was wondering that myself

I'm not a seamstress but I wold assume there are a few ways, also she covers her's in sequins so I'm sure that helps. Experiment?

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Bellasea's Avatar
    I would just experiment.
    Also, she uses 3D scales, so that probaly covers the seams. I don't think it would be that hard to hide seams. If you are profficant with a sewing machine you should be good. And if not, use paints, sequins, fabric fringes, or what ever to cover them. I would go for it if the wet suit is cheap.
    Tenacity.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod LindseyLu's Avatar
    Gypsymer made a ptchwork mermaid tail from used wetsuits, you can see it in her album here http://mernetwork.com/index/album.php?albumid=79 Turned out pretty cool!

I really don't think Kariel's famous blue tail is as recycled as people are led to believe. For that tail, I think Kariel glued her scales down onto a base neoprene lining and didn't sew it. The scales may be from recycled wetsuits, but the base is not.

I am not sure if I would recommend doing that though, since that would make a tail twice as thick and easier to overheat in.
    But I may just be nitpicking since I'm currently in an extremely tropical and humid place and it's so freaking hot that I'm sweating all the time.
    Swimming doesn't really help since the waters feel only slightly cooler than the general atmosphere.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated on how it works out

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Bellasea's Avatar
    Good luck!
    Tenacity.

Quote Originally Posted by halesloveswhales View Post
    Has anyone here tried making a tail from recycled wetsuits? I found a wetsuit at a thrift store, and I've decided to make it my project to turn it into a mermaid tail. (I'm a broke college student, just looking for a cheaper way!)
    I know that Mermaid Kariel makes her tails from recycled wetsuits, but hers look so perfect, and I can't figure out how to do it without showing seams everywhere. Anyone have advice?
    Lemme know how this works. <3

I was looking to do the same since I acquired a couple old wetsuits. I have an idea of how to do this, but not sure quite yet how it will work. I have to do some experimenting (I actually borrowed a little girl's Barbie doll to try it on so I don't waste as much material). I thought of reconstructing the neoprene by cutting off the top half, taking out the entire inseam then take the measurements needed and stitching the middle (front). It will most likely need a dart. In the back, I would like to use the zipper from the wetsuit and put it down the back. It's reassuring to know that the zipper is made for this use. I figure it will look pieced together so by decorating spandex with a scale design and attaching it to the neoprene, it should hide the flaws underneath. And to cover the zipper, make a nice fin down the back. I'm sure there are many flaws with this plan...but hopefully I can make it work. I'd love to see if you anyone has come up with anything better!

Junior Member Pod of Oceania
    Me too!! I was wondering about that same question, i cant afford a brand new piece of neoprene,so i just bought an old full body wetsuit from ebay. I was wanting to cut it up and paint it- but its black, and im not sure if it will show up, or even cover the seams? So now im thinking about using some sort of sequin, but in new zealand theyre really expensive, and if i buy them online ill have to pay a fortune in shipping!! Really stuck......

Hey I just wanted to say that I'm making one out of some pretty thick neoprene wetsuits as we speak, and it was hard enough to sew it by hand that I had to take it to a tailor to sew it...and even they said "ooh this don't look good" because you can see the seams, plus it has the knee pads, even though I made it to where they are inside.

I love Kariels tails but there is no way she could have made hers from recycled, not at all because I'm using 3xl wetsuits and the seam is on both the body of my tail and the fluke--there's no way to get around the seams unless you were making one for a baby...

just my experience though..

It would probably take a while to patch them all up but I don't see why it's not possible.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Oh, I should probably give you guys an update. I've been really lazy about sewing, so I haven't gotten too far. After I ordered my Fish Butt, I totally slowed down on this project.

Name:  Photo on 2012-06-01 at 16.15.jpg
Views: 2678
Size:  75.4 KB
    This is a two-piece wetsuit that I found at the thrift store for about $20. The neoprene is pretty thin (I don't know the exact measure of it).
    Name:  Photo on 2012-06-01 at 16.18.jpg
Views: 2913
Size:  79.2 KB
    This is my Waterway monofin. For anyone wondering, the Waterway gives you great propulsion in the water. If you plan on purchasing one, be sure to get it a couple sizes bigger than you think. Mine hurts my feet like crazy! But I still recommend it because of its flat surface (no ridges like the Finis Wave), propulsion, and durability.
    Name:  IMG_2883.JPG
Views: 1604
Size:  72.3 KB
    My sewing machine at home is not strong enough, nor does it have the proper functions to sew through neoprene, so I bought some ultra heavy duty thread (Güterman, I think) and began to hand-sew the entire thing. I made up a stitch that sort of looks like a cross-stitch, to allow the neoprene to stretch. To add extra strength, I doubled up the string as I was sewing.
    Name:  Photo on 2012-07-13 at 23.17.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  81.1 KB
    I ripped out the inseam of the legs on the wetsuit and took out the pink shin pads. Then I measured the suit to fit around my legs, and I began sewing. The suit is pretty tight, just the way I hoped it would be. I still have to tighten the waist up a little bit because it's falling down. However, I am very pleased with how this part turned out.

Currently, I am figuring out how to disassemble the top piece of the wetsuit and sew it so that it fits over my massive monofin. I am trying really hard not to have to buy a new wetsuit to finish it. Then I need to find a place to hide a zipper to take out the monofin. After my tail is all patched together, I'm probably going to cover it in sequins (I'm thinking blue/purple/pink), to hide the seams. The seams right now don't look too bad on the legs, but they're going to be horrid on the fluke!

So there's my update. I'll let you know more as I keep sewing. I really hope all of the pictures work. This is my first time uploading pictures on MerNetwork!

Junior Member Pod of Oceania
    Awesome!! Thats exactly how im planning to do my one how long did it take you to hand sew it? Love the colour too

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Hey, cool that you're making progress! Do you have any plans for hiding the seams at all or for painting?

Like others i say decorate it! good luck

Keep the jacket intact!!!! They rarely make them like that anymore!!! Keep the jacket for making the boys drool at the beach!

Capt Nemo: Too late... I was pretty hesitant about taking the jacket apart. I totally felt like 80's Scuba Barbie when I had it on.
    Ivablu: It definitely takes a while. Depending on how precise you are. It took me like an hour to sew a foot or two (I am also not a huge sewer, so I was improvising a lot).
    Shymer: I'm going to cover it all in sequins I think, so that should cover the seams pretty well

Rats!!!!

Do get up here to WI once that tail's complete! We'll shoot!