Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How not to get water up your nose?

oh, mermaid problems....lol

I've essentially done Drowning's technique, it works in my opinion, but it doesn't
    help you not get water up your nose, it just sort of helps you get used to that
    feeling so when you DO happen to feel the water get in your nose, you won't freak
    out and make it hurt more. If you relax yourself and just let the water go in, you
    get used to it after a while and then you can just ignore it.
    I would like to try that soft pallet thing, though. It sounds legit xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Cool technique!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Caidence's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Caidence's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Drowning View Post
    There's a technique I learned some years ago that works well, but takes a little getting used to. When you begin your swim session, kneel in the shallow end, tilt your head back, and let the water flow into your nose. DO NO EXHALE! Feel it fill up the cavity, which, yes, will be a very uncomfortable experience the first time. Come to the surface without ever having blown the water out. Once on the surface, while you catch your breath, just let the water drain out normally. Then repeat. After 2-3 tries, you will find that you can swim underwater in any position, and though water will enter your nose, you will be desensitized to the unpleasant feeling. After a while, you won't even notice it - for that swim session. Repeat each time, and it will get easier.

It's worked for me, and I'm happy to help anyone willing to try it!
    Thank you so much! This worked great for me. I made my brother be the guinea pig and try it first, but then I tried it and it worked. I'm not sure about getting infections, but to me I think it's worth it. I've never gotten an infection, so I don't think I'll get one. It does hurt a bit the first time, but not nearly as bad as just getting water up your nose. Once again, thank you so much.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Serinessa

I just figured that you should blow bubbles out of your nose when trying tricks. I've been trying it all week

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAliyah View Post
    I just figured that you should blow bubbles out of your nose when trying tricks. I've been trying it all week
    Well some think it looks very un-mermaidy like. You certainly wouldn't want to do that as a pro mermaid. Also if you're doing things like bubble rings (which will certainly get water up your nose) you need that air for the rings, and the extra bubbles could ruin them all together.

I have a flesh colored nose plug.. is metal... with rubber covering... all the clear plastic ones slide of my nose

The soft pallet thing is a really great idea. I had just been pressing my tongue to the roof of my mouth as well, but in all honestly once you figure out the pallet thing it's a lot easier. I will absolutely be working all winter to get mine ready for the spring.

Some freedivers fill their sinus cavities and mask with saline solution so they don't have to equalize on deep dives.

ive always wondered if there are nose plugs that actually go in your nose (sounds awkward but hey) because then, it would either be two individual pieces that fit in your nostrils unseen, or one piece that would connect and look almost like a septum piercing. im not crazy about septums, but i think it would look better than something plugging my nose together like this. anyone know how well they work or if they even exist?

Brianna, they do exist. There's only one guy in the world who does them, and he's in Holland. It's called the TomNose, and basically he does a specialty cast of the inside of your nose and then makes silicone plugs that go up inside. I imagine the casting process could be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Kitty knows more about this and uses them, and she has some info on he site here: http://translate.google.com/translat...ed=0CFYQ7gEwBw

I believe there a few hundred dollars, and of course there's the matter of getting to Holland. I know some people would pay through the nose for these things. I'm hoping maybe someone can hook him in for the next convention.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

DARN IT, THAT IS GENIUS!! if only i had a few hundred dollars and a round trip to holland.
    i wanna visit europe anyways. maybe one day...

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Okay, so I just need to get something absolutely straight in my head.

From what I gather it is impossible to stop water entering your nose without some sort of plug. The nose is an open hole in your head, and when you tilt your head the air trapped in your nose will escape. You can't naturally do anything to stop it entering the nasal cavity, but you can keep that water in your nose by closing the soft palate, which stops it from going down the back of your throat - you just have to get used to the sting of having the water in your nasal cavity.

Can someone more experienced confirm if this is right? Reading this thread kind of gave me mixed ideas and left me wondering over whether I've been doing it wrong all this time xD

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    There's only one guy in the world who does them, and he's in Holland. It's called the TomNose, and basically he does a specialty cast of the inside of your nose and then makes silicone plugs that go up inside. I imagine the casting process could be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Kitty knows more about this and uses them,
    I believe there a few hundred dollars, and of course there's the matter of getting to Holland. I know some people would pay through the nose for these things. I'm hoping maybe someone can hook him in for the next convention.
    I think basically the key is, it's impossible to make one-size-fits-all interior plugs for the nose, or even a range of sizes, since the exact shape is so different for each person, and many people even have different left/right nostril shapes and sizes. It seems to me what Mr. van der Hoff has done is figure out a safe casting technique to make plugs that form a seal without requiring strain on the inside to stay in place. Maybe Kitty Madison can confirm?

The Netherlands Synchronized Swimming site has some info on the TomNose in English, as well as his email address. http://www.synchroswim.nl/tomnose.html

It couldn't hurt for a convention organizeer to contact him to find out what his requirements would be for an overseas trip? Or maybe Kitty Madison could follow up?

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    im a swimmer and ive become desensitized to water in my nose. its rare that it actually hurts now, it just feels sortof tickley its my opinion that you will figure it out after just being in the water enough. You get water up your nose and it hurts and then you do it again and again and it still hurts, but then tada! suddenly you realize that you arent getting water up your nose :o But you actually are, it just doesnt hurt anymore! But keep in mind that i did get a sinus infection last year from the public pool.. I think its worth it personally. *shrug* and if you have to blow bubbles, just try and do less bubbles maybe? idk... hmmmm what if you stuffed those wax ear plugs up your nose? hehe

So I'm not having much luck with keeping water out of my nose with my soft palate :P As far as I can tell, some people do it naturally, some people can learn to do it, and some people just can't do it. I may be one of those people who just can't "plug their nose from the inside". After all everyone's bodies are different. I've gotten to the point where I just let the water go up in my nose for some things. Yeah, it hurts, but I just deal with the pain. Pain for beauty, what else is new?

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Next time I get in a pool I'm going to try to put my tongue to the roof of my mouth and try that. I feel like something is going on when I do it right now, but I really don't know...I'll have to see. I also will try to desensitize myself to it, but I feel like I have a huge mental block with that. xD

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I can confirm the palate technique works.
    Water will go into your nose, but stay there.
    (I had singing training too; very useful for mers in more than one way!)

Note that just like eyes or ears submerged unprotected for a longer period of time, it can lead to an infection.
    I have that problem a lot, especially in chlorinated water.

Nose plugs may be fine and dandy, but methinks they'd be a bit of a hassle to handle, for example when you're out in the ocean. And then I really dislike putting stuff in my ears and nose ;P

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    If you're worried about sinus infections from pool water in your nose, you could always do a neti pot when you get home to flush any nasty water out. Just be sure to use purified water (no tap water! Some very nasty microbes there) and a little sea salt (about a quarter teaspoon). It should taste like tears. Stick the spout in one nostril, breathe through your mouth, and just let it flow through. I usually switch midway to make sure both sides are clear.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    great tip!
    so far I've used a saltwater nosespray, but that doesn't go completely through.

I'm more concerned with my ears though, those are really sensitive and I dare not plug them.
    Could one use a similar thing for rinsing the ears?
    ...darn microbes.