Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mer-Care for Mer-Hair

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I started using Sukin Purifying Shampoo and Conditioner, not a 2 in 1 btw, just too lazy to type it twice! My hair feels nice and soft now. No longer feeling the crunchy hair, even when I didn't go for a swim. I think it was the shampoo I had previously used that made my hair go all funny. Yet to use it at the pool after my swim, I put it into two small bottles so I have the same shampoo and conditioner, and not using two different brands for after swims and at home hair care. And I got Shea Butter Whip Cream Leave in Conditioner.

The Sukin and Shea butter brands are paraben, sulfate and chemical free.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I found this product line in a beauty supply store. Has anyone every tired it?

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1445611936635.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  79.2 KB

I also picked some up, but my hair isn't water damaged really, so I wouldn't know if it helped. Maybe next summer haha.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina Suds View Post
    I found this product line in a beauty supply store. Has anyone every tired it?

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1445611936635.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  79.2 KB

I also picked some up, but my hair isn't water damaged really, so I wouldn't know if it helped. Maybe next summer haha.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

YES! I love it! It's the only one I found that was definitely sulfate free, and I like that it's vegan and cruelty free too. It smells heavenly, and my hair feels like silk after. I only have the shampoo - I wanted to test it out before buying it all, but I'll be ordering the conditioner as well.

They have another line for people dealing with hard water. I wish I'd found it years ago, but the swimmers wellness will also work for that. At least it is for me.

Junior Member Euro Pod

Visit Mermaid Inokw's Youtube Channel
    Thank you so much!This helped me a lot!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    sorry for the repost, trying to put this everywhere as a resource for people

here's my vlog about wigs, with clips of using it underwater!

As a follow up to something I posted awhile ago: henna. I'd asked about the effects of chlorine on BAQ henna and so far I haven't seen any! I swim 2-3 times a week in a pool with varying levels of chlorination. My hair still gets a little dry, but nothing extreme. The henna has not faded, and has not been bleached out or changed color. For mers who want to stay redheads, you may want to consider henna. Any other henna heads have other experiences?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod KayNS's Avatar
    Follow KayNS On Twitter Add KayNS on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Strega View Post
    As a follow up to something I posted awhile ago: henna. I'd asked about the effects of chlorine on BAQ henna and so far I haven't seen any! I swim 2-3 times a week in a pool with varying levels of chlorination. My hair still gets a little dry, but nothing extreme. The henna has not faded, and has not been bleached out or changed color. For mers who want to stay redheads, you may want to consider henna. Any other henna heads have other experiences?
    Thanks for sharing this. I'm currently rocking what I think is my natural colour (I haven't seen it in about 15 years). If I ever go back to being a redhead (very likely), I was considering henna, so this is great info.

Make sure you only do body art quality henna to avoid any metals and such that might not have such a good response.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod KayNS's Avatar
    Follow KayNS On Twitter Add KayNS on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Strega View Post
    Make sure you only do body art quality henna to avoid any metals and such that might not have such a good response.
    Yes, for sure. I'm a hair-henna veteran. http://hennaforhair.com/is a fantastic resource where I learned a lot! I buy my henna from an Indian grocer and it's the pure green powder meant for body art. The henna that's sold "for hair" is the stuff you have to watch out for, ironically.

Yup exactly! That's my main resource too haha. I always try to mention BAQ just in case someone is new to henna and doesn't know there is a difference.

I'm a henna-head! Been hennaing my hair for at least 5 years now, I think (this reminds me I need to do my roots, haha). You guys beat me to posting about BAQ henna and avoiding the stuff that says it's meant for hair, good to know others are doing this! I also always recommend BAQ henna because not only is it completely permanent--as you can read about on hennaforhair.com, the dye molecule lawsone actually forms a permanent bond with the keratin in your hair--it actually strengthens the hair shaft because of this bond. So it's pretty much the only dye that's actually GOOD for your hair. But it is a commitment, because you can't even bleach it out if you decide you don't like it. Then again, I never even wanted to be a redhead (natural brunette) but I loved the effect of henna so much I've stuck with it. My natural color is dark enough that my hair doesn't look bright red, but the henna gives it an auburn tone that absolutely glows in the sun. I love it. I need to get an updated length shot, too

I did manage to bleach it out once just FYI and I wouldn't recommend it. I used sun in treatment 3 times over the course of a couple weeks. It was pretty rough after. >.< I wanted to go back to my natural strawberry. That lasted like 3 months and I hennaed again. My hair, and I, are much happier! Do you find your hair grows faster with henna? I'm pretty sure mine does.

Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    The growing faster is probably due to less breakage, since henna makes your hair stronger. I noticed a big difference is how much stronger my hair was after doing a couple of henna/cassia glosses on my head. Thinking of doing another one with more henna this time. Not sure. Still undecided if I want to be more golden or more strawberry.

Oh! That's probably true actually. I didn't think about that. Personally if you aren't sure I'd go with the lighter choice because you can always henna again to darken it but can't always go lighter.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes The Magic Crafter's Avatar
    Follow The Magic Crafter On Twitter Add The Magic Crafter on Facebook Add The Magic Crafter on Google+
    Visit The Magic Crafter's Youtube Channel
    Okay.. I know this thread is pretty old, but I found something in a magazine that reminded me of all of you chlorine-treading mers (I'm mostly freshwater...! ), and I thought it could prove helpful? Maybe? I have yet to try this... but if anyone is open to experiments... There is a clip in an article that says to mix up a paste out of a Quarter sized amount (U.S.A. Quarter, that is) of a clarifying shampoo (like the Paul Mitchell #3) with 1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda, and apply over wet hair after every couple of swims. And then wash your hair with your regular shampoo.

Sounds like it's supposed to really help work the chlorine out? I'm not sure if it work better than what you all already do or not, but I saw it, and thought it wouldn't hurt to share it. (For citation's sake...It is out of Redbook Magazine's July of 2014 issue, on page 58, and was recommended by Eileen Kantor of "Pompadours Hair Salon.")
    New YouTube Videos Every Week!!
    I can be found at www.TheMagicCrafter.com

This is my tail!
    ~*~ Please call me "Phantom!" ~*~

Yeah I'll use baking soda mixed with my shampoo after I swim if I don't have my swimmer's shampoo. It works. The thing is, the baking soda screws up your scalps ph levels, so it's best to do an apple cider vinegar (diluted) rinse after the baking soda to bring the ph back to where it should be. Also, the ACV rinse leaves your hair shiny and tangle-free. If you can't take the smell (which goes away when your hair dries) then leave the ACV rinse on for a minute or so and rinse with fresh water. I use about 2 tbsp ACV to a cup of filtered water for the rinse, and keep it in a spray bottle in my shower.

Just wanted to share my favorite hair saver: the Tangle Teezer! There are stories about mermaid's hair brushes having magical powers and I think this is the brush they were talking about. Hardly any hair breaks or comes out and it takes me less than 2 mins to detangle my super thick hip high hair after swimming. With regular brushes detangling took forever it was driving me crazy! I always usually french braid my hair when in the water, but when it comes to mermaiding nothing feels or looks better than long a flowing mermaid mane. Now I'm not afraid of the post swim detangle battle. I loved this brush so much I got it for all the girls in my family for Christmas this year (like 20 brushes!) Oh where was this brush when I was a child screaming in tears as my mom yanked her way through my hair?! Find it on ebay for only $10 vs. the $20+ on their website.
    Name:  Tangle-Teezer.png
Views: 4713
Size:  354.1 KB

While the tangle teaser is great for detangling, the way it treats one's hair varies from person to person. People in long hair groups can discuss this at length, haha :P For me it was amazing becuase it didn't pull as many hairs (I have a shedding issue due to chronic health issues) BUT it damaged my ends a lot over time. I hadn't changed anything else about my hair products/routines, just fyi. I had to have 5 inches cut off just to get rid of the worst damage.

Some people say it's like a miracle for their hair, others say it caused a lot of damage and a breakage. Everyone's hair is different. Some people's hair like cones and some don't, some folks their hair doesn't like coconut oil while others rave about it, ect. So just be aware that it could go either way, and to pay attention to what your hair likes and doesn't like

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Aww sorry about your 5 inches! I had to have 6 cut off at the end of one summer and that's when I really started researching long hair health. I've grown back the 6 inches+ now and it's so much healthier! But I still get a lot of split ends. Taking biotin daily and sitting patiently for a few more years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    While the tangle teaser is great for detangling, the way it treats one's hair varies from person to person. People in long hair groups can discuss this at length, haha :P For me it was amazing becuase it didn't pull as many hairs (I have a shedding issue due to chronic health issues) BUT it damaged my ends a lot over time. I hadn't changed anything else about my hair products/routines, just fyi. I had to have 5 inches cut off just to get rid of the worst damage.

Some people say it's like a miracle for their hair, others say it caused a lot of damage and a breakage. Everyone's hair is different. Some people's hair like cones and some don't, some folks their hair doesn't like coconut oil while others rave about it, ect. So just be aware that it could go either way, and to pay attention to what your hair likes and doesn't like
    Ditto this.

I love my tangle teezer, but I also use a wooden wide-tooth comb and a bamboo wooden pin brush. I'll detangle with the comb first and then go through with the tangle teezer usually because I find that I'm tempted to be less gentle with the tangle teezer otherwise.

Anyone used Acure Organics shampoo? I just got the argan oil shampoo because my usual stuff has started to make my scalp break out.