Thread: An addition to my previous thread

Member Pod of The South Raivynn's Avatar

An addition to my previous thread

I just wanted to let everyone know what the current status of my Mertailor tail was. It arrived last Thursday, and I was in love from the moment I opened the box. The paint was EXACTLY how I had asked. There were some imperfections on some of the scales, but since my tail is mainly black, you don't even notice them. The scales all run the same direction, and the fluke was painted in silver like I had asked. He was nice enough to do this for me for free. I immediately took it to the pool, and put it on. It was a bit loose around the hips and waist, but I thought it wouldn't matter too much. Once in the water, the tail became a lot heavier...The fluke didn't fill with water, but as I tried to swim, the tail fell below my butt!! It was baggy enough around my hips and waist that I couldn't swim in it. I contacted Eric shortly after hanging my tail to dry. I had lost a couple inches in the months following my initial order and measurement. I also noticed in the left footpocket, that there was some silicone inside. It actually helped me keep my foot in! The movement of the fluke was breathtaking. I didn't realize JUST how BIG it would really be. I can barely fwap the surface of the water with it. I'm hoping to build some strength in my legs to help me with that.

One thing I keep seeing pop up in recent threads is how his tails smell strongly of vinegar. Mine was very strong -- but it wasn't a major thing. I was prepared for it, so when I opened the box, I got the assault. After swimming in my tail and rinsing it not-so-well (I think), the smell had already begun to dissipate. I didn't notice the smell at all while I was in the pool. Also, when I coated the tail in baby powder to send back to Eric, the smell was completely covered up.

I apologized to Eric for jumping the gun and reporting him to the BBB. While my wait time was excessive, I think I may have failed to read that he does have a 3-5 week additional wait period accounted for in the contract you sign with him. He was being fair, and has been since the whole mess began. I sincerely think he simply had a lot going on, and I am okay with that.

He was polite, and offered to fix my tail for free if I couldn't find a tailor in my area to do it. To be honest, I don't think anyone here would be able to do as good a job, and out of respect for the creator, I would rather he fix it than someone else. I shipped it back Monday. He says that it shouldn't take more than a week to alter, and will ship out promptly. I know for sure I will have my tail back before August, so I can take it with me to Myrtle Beach on my 1st wedding anniversary! He is also paying the return shipping to me.

I am a bit disappointed that my tail has taken so long to be completed and ready to wear, with most of the "summer" now behind me. We still have a couple months of swim season left since I live in Tennessee, but I'm sure the pool here closes Labor Day weekend in September. I have a YMCA in my area that I can swim at, and most likely will in the winter to keep practicing my mermaiding skills.

At this point, after having a product in my hands, I have to say that it has changed my mind on whether or not I will order from Eric again. I really think I would order from him again, knowing now that I will have a longer wait time. I will also ask him to let me know before he ships so I can recheck my measurements and confirm they are still the same. Will I recommend him to others? ... At this point, most people think I am crazy for spending what I did on this tail. I wouldn't recommend him to the kids at the pool, or to their parents. To someone who is a bit more serious I might, but let them know the wait time can be considerable.
    http://www.facebook.com/Mermaid.Misu

What do you call a fish with no eyes?

A fsh.

I'm glad the experience worked out for you! I hope it continues to stay that way
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

I shipped my tail back on July 2. He received it July 6th. It is now August 4th. He stated in an email that it would only take a week to alter. I have emailed several times asking about my tail. The most recent response was sent Thursday, stating the tail would ship "tomorrow" -- aka Friday. I never received a tracking number, so I am pretty sure it didn't ship.

I have lost my entire summer waiting for my Mertailor tail, and I must say I am really disappointed. The tail was great. I just wish the maker would keep his commitments, or let his clients know when he was deviating from them.

A fsh.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Do you have any pictures of your tail?

I have a few on my Mermaid Facebook page. I only wore the Mertailor tail once, and that was to find out it was way too big.

A fsh.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    Well I hope you get it back soon. I am waiting to see how it turns out for you. I am finding that with my (much smaller and simpler) fabric tail business that I have a hard time keeping up with orders with all of my other commitments like my full time "day job", two weekly shows/rehearsals, and school. I never really stop and relax. I know Mertailor has many more orders... but then again, making tails is his full time job. So he should be able to stay on top of it. I hope it comes in soon though. Can't wait to see pics!!!

Follow me on facebook!

Mermaid:
    Mermaid Star

Troup:
    Sea Star Studios

Performer:
    Alexie Star

I think Eric takes on too many orders at one time for one person to handle. I think he is trying to please too many people, and is just so overwhelmed that it takes him more time than he thinks -- or, he could have poor time management skills, I don't know. Right now, I am pretty sure he is focused on Merpalooza. As much as I wanted to go, I do not have the gas money to make it down, even for a day -- I've planned to go to Gulf Shores at the end of August. I am hoping my tail makes it to me in time for that. I am obviously not going to be able to swim in the ocean in it -- I haven't had enough time to practice tailswimming to be confident enough to go too far offshore.

I mean, Eric not a bad guy, really, but ... I guess I don't agree with his business practices. I don't have to, either. I just hope it gets back soon.

A fsh.