• Lake

41 33.06%
  • Other

25 20.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Public Area Swimming

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Most of the city pools around here have a no swim fins, masks, snorkels, or pool toys policy just because they are so crowded. The exception is the indoor pool at the senior center. They have some hours that are open to the public so that's where I go swimming. I don't have a tail yet, but I just ordered my first monofin. I'm 99% sure they'll let me swim in that, but I'll be sure to talk to the head lifeguard about wearing a tail.

my gym has gotten so used to seeing my tail, they don't blink when I walk in with that huge thing over my shoulder.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Public Area Swimming

Same here, Gem! They usually just smile and say, "You doing a public swim today?" Sometimes I do public meet and greets and other times I go to the competitive pool to swim. They like to know which one I'm doing because some people tend to ask if I'm going to be there when they come in. It's really considerate of the staff to try to make sure I'm not mobbed when I need some swim practice!

I never fully swim in a crowded pool and try to avoid doing anything that appears dangerous, so hopefully I'll be able to continue swimming at my favorite place.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

I'm locked to private pools in the summer, and in the winter, I'll try a hotel pool (If the let me)

The public pool where i'm doing my laps every week won't let me use my tail (out of safety etc) and that's also for any other public pools in my area.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel Starfish View Post
    The public pool where i'm doing my laps every week won't let me use my tail (out of safety etc) and that's also for any other public pools in my area.
    That sucks! I understand safety issues if a pool is crowded, but not if it is almost empty.

Myself, I went to a town hall-regulated pool just down my street, and asked if the use of swimfins was allowed. They said yes, so next time I went with my tail.
    I put it on just by the edge of water, in a place that was empty of people. After a couple of laps one of the staff girls was waiting by the edge, and I thought I was going to be asked to remove the tail. Nope! She just wanted some pictures!! I was so afraid and then I was ecstatic! Most people make nice comments about it.
    I try to keep myself far from people to avoid any incidents though.

But a swim cap is mandatory; googles are optional, but I use them, because I have no possibility of filming underwater, and my eyes are sensitive.

One week ago, after a tough research (8 pools refused me with my tail), i finally found my place. I swim in a public pool which allows monofins. At this moment, i'm the only person using one and as a merman. So far, everybody has been very nice to me and enjoyed watching me swim. They think that i look very cool with my tail. A girl even took a picture with me. Until now, no one even asked if i was gay or straight.

I'm enjoying this pool and i go there three times a week. I intend to try a hotel pool soon. I will keep you updated if i succeed or not.
    Last edited by Merman Arion; 08-26-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    I never fully swim in a crowded pool and try to avoid doing anything that appears dangerous, so hopefully I'll be able to continue swimming at my favorite place.
    I find it impossible to fully tailswim when the pool is too full (like, not even one lane without another swimmer);
    sure can try doing slalom beneath them, but when the traffic's too dense, you can't move at all without being hit by others and I hate that.
    (plus there are always the dudes coming running and leaping in from the sides, those never look whether there's another swimmer UNDER the water, and it's a miracle no one has jumped on me yet.)

I'd love a private pool, or better yet. living in a warmer country with access to a lake or ocean, but we don't have any money for that sort of thing.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    (plus there are always the dudes coming running and leaping in from the sides, those never look whether there's another swimmer UNDER the water, and it's a miracle no one has jumped on me yet.)
    I hear you there! Last week I had a couple of boys jumping on me 3 times (one of them almost hit me once). The mother/care taker was there, and she did not said a word.

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod
    mainly i've been swimming at the river near where i live. also gone swimming in lakes. probably gonna be spending most of my time in pools since its starting to cool off where i live and already the river here never really warmed up still working on my tail so that is a few months away from being used but so far with my monofin have yet to be asked any questions. just wish i had someone to swim with since i tend to get bored when i swim alone in a pool (i hate laps!)

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid_Dominique's Avatar
    Yeah it's public pools for me as well, I went swimming with my monofin for the first time a few weeks ago (I'm new to the mermaiding thing) in the pool opposite my boyfriends house. They didn't say a word and people weren't giving me weird looks or anything which was really pleasant. I hope they react the same once I own a tail .
    ''There's no great reward without great struggle''

I'm so happy that the public indoor pool closest to me doesn't bother with my monofin. There's barely any people there, when I was there last week, I had the whole pool for myself for like 15mins!