Thread: 'Article' on CafeMom about mermaid tails.

'Article' on CafeMom about mermaid tails.

I have keywords on my phone's news app and mermaid is one of them, so that I get all the mermaidy goodness from the web that I can.

This article came up this morning. Sure, the author clearly doesn't get it. She calls the tails mentioned a 'mermaid swimsuit' and seems to think the $245 is expensive for a swimsuit... it would be... for a SWIMSUIT.

(Edit to add, the tails mentioned and shown are from http://3-fins.com/)

Also, using the word 'weird' in this context to me is sad for any kid out there who is having a hard enough time with his or her dream of one day mermaiding, and sees it or has a parent who decides to talk about it while laughing at it. And this is a website for moms.

Another thing, this is under 'Beauty and Style' which I find really odd. I don't think for one minute that anyone, anywhere, expects mermaiding to be a fashion trend or a fad. Or if it is, so what? So fecking what? Heavens, we all know there are worse trends.

Anyway, this is the article.

Mermaid Suit Is Weirdest Beach Fad of the Summer

I don't know if anyone here is a member of CafeMom, I'm not- they're not exactly my parenting paradigm- but if anyone is, maybe you can give a comment from someone who gets it. There is only one mer-positive comment there right now.
    Last edited by deepblue; 07-14-2012 at 03:03 PM.

i just commented. mine was so long i had to split it into two xD
    im really upset about that. she obviously did NO research, and is completely rude about it. its a bit offensive, i think... :/

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    I commented as a guest... dunno if they expected mermen to chime in

"It will cost you a whopping $245...are we taking this whole obsession a little too far?". Was it sexist to ask the author how much she had spent on a favorite outfit, purse, or pair of shoes?
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Brianna View Post
    i just commented. mine was so long i had to split it into two xD
    im really upset about that. she obviously did NO research, and is completely rude about it. its a bit offensive, i think... :/
    I agree, I read it again a couple times, and each time I'm just so irked with how she obviously just saw something and made a snap judgement, then wrote an article.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Æolius View Post
    I commented as a guest... dunno if they expected mermen to chime in

"It will cost you a whopping $245...are we taking this whole obsession a little too far?". Was it sexist to ask the author how much she had spent on a favorite outfit, purse, or pair of shoes?
    ha! I love it. And you know, seeing a merman chime in will be good for her!

I myself ought to comment, but I'm waiting. I've been surlier than usual the last few weeks, I've realized. I need to chill out. haha I don't want to come across wrong.

Seriously I should change my forum name to The Surly Mermaid, like the boat in Finding Nemo.

Just commented as well. What a load of crap this is... Everybody on there is harping about safety. What idiot would give their kid this kind of thing if they KNEW their child couldn't swim? I don't know...I guess the same idiots who can't even be bothered to watch their small children in the pool. And they're also whining about the prices! Jeez! There's this wonderful invention called GOOGLE that can find you lots of similar tails for a cheaper price. I don't know...they just cast the whole thing in a horrible light and it pisses me off. Calling us weird and creepy.

I know, that was so weird itself to me. How on earth is it weird or creepy? I feel sorry for people who think so, what a limited imagination.

I also just left my comment as a guest.

It IS incredibly offensive to merfolk to call this a fad or an obsession. Sure you can decide what your children do but who are you to dictate to grown adults that their hobby, their job, and their dream is weird and creepy? You obviously didn't do the research before writing this biased and offensive article. The mer-community is full of beautiful people, young, old, mermaids, and mermen and you dare call us "infantile grownups?" Do we call you a vapid stereotypical woman because of the fact that you claim to have learned everything from reality tv? No, because we respect your right to do what you want. From now on why don't you just focus on pretty dresses and leave us merfolk alone?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    ^ Well said Raayvhen, well said
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

I commented as a guest.

There's a lot wrong with this article, but I see some others have pointed a few items out already. I'm going to point this out: the NOAA released that statement due to numerous calls after Mermaid: The Body Found was aired. Has nothing to do with merfolk. It was thanks to Animal Planet.

I have to agree, next time you write an article, do some research first. The tails you mention are NOT even swimsuits. This whole article is made of fail.
    This article so has my mer ire up. lol I'm feeling all, "Get me a Mernetwork shir! Save for a tail! Merfolk unite!" lol
    Last edited by deepblue; 07-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.

My initial reaction was to be angry. But after thinking it over, I'm proud. There will always be stupid people who don't do their research and give others a bad name, but I'm proud to be part of a community that immediately jumped in to inform readers of the truth behind mermaiding and to denounce this woman's ignorant article.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    While their total lack of journalism is pretty annoying, looking at their "top stories" kinda puts in perspective what a rag this site is. Its pretty doubtful that anything they post has any quality to it, much less news value or truth.

"Katie & Tom: 8 Most Bizarre Divorce Rumors"

"5 Celebrity Kids With Killer Summer Style"

"'Second-Cheapest Wine' Solves All Your Problems (VIDEO)"

"Debate Over Bikini Waxes for Tweens"

"10 Sexy Robert Pattinson Quotes on Love"

I agree, this is why I put the word 'article' like I did- it's pretty much masquerading as an article. And while the site can be a rag, I also know a lot of people who use the site- it's huge, with a lot of coverage and various kinds of topics.

I wrote a pretty scathing comment. :| I wonder if the author actually reads them.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    yeah that article pissed me off. I made this comment, not sure if it'll get through moderations:

Your article sort of gets a few details wrong. Since, Annette Kellerman first made a mermaid tail over 100 years ago, it's been a rising trend for years and there are MANY tail makers out there with tails of all prices. There's a mermaid convention, mermaid magazines, and mermaid performers, like me. Who perform and speak all over the world about ocean ecology. Who are you to judge someone "taking it too far" when you haven't really even researched it? You're making a huge amount of assumptions, because you saw an already popular link about a mermaid tail etsy account, and were weirded out by it. Take a look at what I do, check out "Hannah Fraser" and perhaps look at the huge pop culture following for mermaids, (hello, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Beyonce?) and then get back to me.

I looked at that page again today... I just LOVE how the comments from us are listed on the second and third pages where nobody will probably look. Shouldn't the newest comments be first?

I find this veeeery offensive.The nerve of some people...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreasure View Post
    I looked at that page again today... I just LOVE how the comments from us are listed on the second and third pages where nobody will probably look. Shouldn't the newest comments be first?
    On my pc, the comments are showing up newest first- from the mer community. On my mobile, they show up opposite. Odd programming. Are you on a mobile or iPad type computer?

On my pc, the comments are showing up newest first- from the mer community. On my mobile, they show up opposite. Odd programming. Are you on a mobile or iPad type computer?
    Nah, I'm on my Macbook Pro. Not sure what the problem is then. I'm glad you can see them - that means others are seeing them first too. That's a relief...