Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Flippers more Mermaidy

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod

Lightbulb Making Flippers more Mermaidy

For one of my friends tails, I am going to be using flippers instead of the RAPID because of it's price tag. Now, I don't really like the look of flipper just put together. For me it looks...square and boxy. What I plan on doing, to give these flippers a more mermaid-y look is this.....

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 1103
Size:  67.0 KB

Thanks to theoceanblue's thread about her wave monofin, duck tape and and an old binder I came up with flippers with duck tape and an old binder
    Do you mers think it will hold up? I am really excited to try this out and I think it will look amazing!
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Chesapeake Pod
    Name:  009.JPG
Views: 1127
Size:  69.1 KB
    A colored picture
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Thats a great idea Let me know how it works out.

Chesapeake Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
    Thats a great idea Let me know how it works out.

Most certainly will we are ordering on thursday?

Member Pod of Cali
    Pod of The South
    Awww! Thanks for the shout-out! I think it will hold up! Just use a LOT of duct tape!
    Our Purpose in Life Is Not to be Happy, but to Serve God. Through Serving God, we Find Happiness.

Chesapeake Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by theoceanblue View Post
    Awww! Thanks for the shout-out! I think it will hold up! Just use a LOT of duct tape!

Ur welcome! I'm going to be using glue as well, E6000, to make sure it stays exactly where it should
    Last edited by Mermaid Saphira; 07-16-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Chesapeake Pod
    Last edited by Mermaid Saphira; 07-16-2012 at 06:35 PM.

I thought about this method, but then I ordered my monofin. I'd be interested to find out how well it works though. I might build a tail for my sister and I know she won't have the money for a monofin. The flippers/binders/duct tape would be a much more economical result for her.

Chesapeake Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelia View Post
    I thought about this method, but then I ordered my monofin. I'd be interested to find out how well it works though. I might build a tail for my sister and I know she won't have the money for a monofin. The flippers/binders/duct tape would be a much more economical result for her.

Exactly why I came up with this idea my friend can't afforded a rapid and the flippers are a good price!

Chesapeake Pod
    we ordered the fins yesterday! They should be heere soon

Chesapeake Pod
    The fins are currently in OHIO!!!

Chesapeake Pod
    we got Sarah's flipper to day! I am currenly working on a video tutorial so all of you who can't afford a monofin can still get a mermaid-y fin :3

How about these?

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  52.8 KB
    [I][B]What happens underwater, stays underwater...[/B][/I]

Chesapeake Pod
    ^ I love those LOL

Chesapeake Pod
    I am trying to upload the video so I can edit it, but I am having a little trouble with this darn SD card! It may be awhile..sorry

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    i hope you dont kick any one with those under water

good luck. I used flippers in a fabric tail before. The thing I found challenging was that the space between the two meant they'd keep shifting and overlap in some places. I wonder if it worked if you could bolt them on to hard plastic or something?

yeah this does look like a neat idea! hope it all works out for u!
    I Believe

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    good luck. I used flippers in a fabric tail before. The thing I found challenging was that the space between the two meant they'd keep shifting and overlap in some places. I wonder if it worked if you could bolt them on to hard plastic or something?
    Hi AniaR, You might find this page interesting http://www.otterbaysuits.com/Goals.htm They make the mermaid flukes for their mermaid wetsuit out of two Cressi ProSport fins, and drill small holes near the foot pockets and use those platic pull ties to hold them tight together. They also add a small metal frame at the ends of the blades to hold the fins rigidly.

I also like the idea of adding weight at the fins so the tail sits naturally down in the water instead of floating and lifting you too high in the tail.

They make an interesting point that having the ankles together instead of separated like most monofins do looks more "mermaidy"

If you'd like to see their fluke system in action, here is Mermaid Linden swimming in the Otter Bay mermaid wetsuit

Last edited by AptaMer; 12-29-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    interesting......