Thread: My new environmental/sciency blog

My new environmental/sciency blog

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share. I recently started writing a blog, just sort of as a pet project, and I wanted to focus it on the subjects I care the most about: science, conservation, environmentalism, animals. http://enviroplanetarymusings.wordpress.com/

I've just been writing about topics I find interesting or important, and I'm trying to pitch it so it's accessible to both sciencey and non-sciencey people (hopefully people may learn something from it, and I can learn things while writing it!). Anyway, please check it out! I'd love some feedback. I've only shared in on Facebook thus far and I don't have many followers yet. Feel free to suggest ideas.

Thanks

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Oh wow! This is fantastic!

I'm not really one to read blogs, but this is actually very interesting. I really stand by all of your recent articles. Especially the artificial reefs need protection one. My old science teacher helped build some artificial reefs and he shared with us how they did it. It was awesome to watch and still amazes me today.
    And I've always thought the same thing about Zoo's and how they prevent extinction. At the zoo near me. Almost all of the animals in it have medical issues or were injured in the past. Some of the animals would probably not make it in the wild because they need so much support.

Anways bravo! Keep up the good work! I'll be reading!

Thanks, I'm really glad you like it! I'm really hoping more people will eventually start reading and commenting, because I'd love for it to inspire some discussions. Also, I didn't even think to mention the fact that some animals wouldn't survive in the wild due to injuries and whatnot, and thus can live long lives in zoos where they would otherwise just die in the wild. In fact, those animals can often be used for breeding purposes even if they couldn't actually live on their own. So that's an excellent point!

That's also really cool that your teacher helped build artificial reefs. I would love to be involved in a project like that. It was sort of an idea I had in the back of my mind for if I were ever to go back to school and do a PhD (though that sounds...daunting).

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Cool. Keep it up.

Thanks Green52! I have plenty of ideas but always welcome suggestions as well. Hope everyone enjoys reading it.

I've only looked at the first article so far, but I like it. I'll put your blog on my feeds list.

Thanks! Glad you like it. I'm planning a new article that I want to post soon.

New blog post about "artificial" jellyfish, just something I thought was really cool: http://enviroplanetarymusings.wordpr...d-a-jellyfish/

cool fake jellies!

Yeah, I thought that was awesome! Man, this reminds me I gotta update the blog again. I've been really busy the past couple weeks, had to fly out for a job interview, got the job (yay!) and now have to arrange moving out of state and saying goodbye to people and...moving...argh.