Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hyper-realistic merperson - makeup tips?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    Looks like your choices are pretty cool!
    I really love those sfx teeth! Really awesome looking!

The gills you showed are a little small, I remember seeing a girl wearing some at a renaissance
    festival and you almost barely noticed them.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/83155777...earch_type=all
    These are a bit pricey-er but I think they'll stand out a lot more. Not to mention I like this look xD

WANT!!!!!!
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    While we're on the subject, can I just say that IMO Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies is probably the high water mark (no pun intended) for aquatic-looking merfolk makeup.

Agreed. loved abe, really the only reason i watched hellboy two... well thank and i have a thing for big red guys with horns and guns
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    Looks like your choices are pretty cool!
    I really love those sfx teeth! Really awesome looking!

The gills you showed are a little small, I remember seeing a girl wearing some at a renaissance
    festival and you almost barely noticed them.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/83155777...earch_type=all
    These are a bit pricey-er but I think they'll stand out a lot more. Not to mention I like this look xD

Thank you so much! That is so kind of you to say! And wow! Those are brilliant! Way better! I can't thank you enough, I'll be ordering them tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyna View Post
    Drag queens use a waxy makeup to cover their eyebrows and then apply concealer over top. some concealers would totally handle underwater, but the wax is opaque enough that underwater im sure it would do the trick. if you want to spend the money, there's Kryolan...otherwise there are cheaper brands as well. I'm sure drag queen make-up tutorials on youtube would spill the beans on other brand names.
    Thanks so much, Lyna! I've been recommended the wax before, I just never knew the process/how to use it! I'll be doing my research tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    They took about 3 and a half months. Thing is, they come in spotty. Apparently your eyebrows (well, mine) have clumps of hair every so often, and then they grow long to cover the bald spots. So I had spotty eyebrows for a long time until the hairs got long enough to fill in! ;-) I was so good at hiding it with eyebrow pencil, though, my mom didn't notice until 2 months after I'd shaved them!

It was really frustrating not being able to go out of the house without putting eyebrow pencil on, though. I wouldn't recommend shaving them. XD I've bleached my eyebrows, too, to match a platinum blonde wig, so...apparently my eyebrows have to put up with a lot of abuse from me. ;-P

The costume turned out pretty well, though XP:

Attachment 4381
    That looks absolutely amazing! I love it so much! Thank you for sharing! Glad to hear they grew back though! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Aurora View Post
    Wow, this project sounds really cool! you gotta show us the pictures once you're done!
    absolutely! we're aiming to shoot it in late August, and it will probably be published in September or October. I'll be to sure to post photos (at least behind the scenes ones) as soon as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    While we're on the subject, can I just say that IMO Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies is probably the high water mark (no pun intended) for aquatic-looking merfolk makeup.

I've never seen this movie, but that makeup is brilliant! Thank you so much for showing me!

I actually enjoyed the second Hellboy movie for the Fairy Marketplace Well, I guess the fairy world period. The prince and princess, etc. I thought it was cool to see the world a little darker than usual

kris, I'm very excited to see your progress! Keep us posted!

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merboy78xy View Post
    I actually enjoyed the second Hellboy movie for the Fairy Marketplace Well, I guess the fairy world period. The prince and princess, etc. I thought it was cool to see the world a little darker than usual
    I think Guillermo Del Toro's movies are the best argument that CGI is being overused in movies nowadays. Obviously his movies have a fair share of CGI too, but I think they use a lot more costuming and puppetry than most other movies (certainly other movies with as much fantasy), and it really shows. Other filmmakers could learn something.

I absolutely agree! It's one of the reasons why I love the Underworld movie (at least the first one)-- it showed SO MUCH ingenuity using puppetry, wire-work ,etc. Not the CGI stuff that everyone falls back on. I LOVE when Lucien runs faster than their car! They actually dragged a runway behind the speeding car and had the actor run on the platform! So, in essence he WAS running faster! I just get so pissed when I see a movie like the first bunch of spiderman films when it was all so fake looking. I was like: If there was EVER a time to do WIRE WORK, THIS IS IT!!! hehehe

Also, Kris... here's some cool ideas on the baldcap I found. You could latex apply some Scales, etc maybe a bit like this!:
    Name:  resize scales.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  56.4 KB
    Name:  resize scales 2.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  151.8 KB

kris, I'm very excited to see your progress! Keep us posted!
    Thanks so much! I definitely will! This site is so rad!

I absolutely agree! It's one of the reasons why I love the Underworld movie (at least the first one)-- it showed SO MUCH ingenuity using puppetry, wire-work ,etc. Not the CGI stuff that everyone falls back on. I LOVE when Lucien runs faster than their car! They actually dragged a runway behind the speeding car and had the actor run on the platform! So, in essence he WAS running faster! I just get so pissed when I see a movie like the first bunch of spiderman films when it was all so fake looking. I was like: If there was EVER a time to do WIRE WORK, THIS IS IT!!! hehehe

Also, Kris... here's some cool ideas on the baldcap I found. You could latex apply some Scales, etc maybe a bit like this!:
    Name:  resize scales.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  56.4 KB
    Name:  resize scales 2.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  151.8 KB
    This is so brilliant! Thank you again! I love it!

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Here's a recommendation for the webbed hands. Use skin toned stockings, and create a webbed glove from them. This technique had been used in many Mer related films, and looks realistic enough, as though the skin is webbed. The trick is trying to find a pair of stockings to match your shade of skin tone. Though I do like those webbed gloves posted earlier very much.

All these ideas sound wonderfull. I'm looking for to seing the end results be sure to post alot of pictures
    Formerly known as Nordhild Wetzler

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    The blue silicone webbed gloves tend to go slightly translucent underwater. Most mers that buy them never bother with original plans of painting them because of that. if your photos are meant to be slightly blurry then that will help.

The Circle lenses are cool. Just be careful when wearing them underwater and DON'T do so in a chlorinated or heavy salt water pool.
    I wear mine (prescription) with goggles to keep water away from them, but I understand that you can't, so be careful. Eye disease from contacts often leads to damage to the point of blindness and needing a cornea transplant.

If I was brave enough though, I would love to wear a full sclera black contacts to make me look like a seal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCBqf...eature=related

Junior Member Pod of Oceania hay_31's Avatar
    I have not read all the replies, so I may be repeating things. My background is makeup as I am a makeup artist, this is what I would do:

Eye brows: Spirit gum - apply one brow at a time to the length of the eye brow. The using a paddle pop stick and some theatrical wax (Ben Nye is the best) press and smooth over your entire eye brow until even and smooth. repeat these steps on the other eye brow. Also seal this with an eye brow sealer, it will help it to last longer.

Body makeup - use stick foundations and grease colours - because of thier higher oil and wax content water has little impact, jut dont touch or rub it and it will stay, you will just need someone to help you apply it in hard to reach areas. Ben Nye also has good colour choices in the stick and grease colours.

Bald caps are great, esp if you want a hairless look, if you are only wanting to block out the brows spirit gum and wax is a better way to go. I did earlier this year a mermaid makeup for a short fantasy film, she did get wet but didnt swim and her makeup lasted, she had gills on her rib-cage, sea urchin - barnacle - pearls pieces on her jaw, cheek bones and brow. her arms had layers of latex pieces going up that was lie sea weed with pears, spines and shells. her tail was golds and browns, her torso mainly an aqua colour. she had red brown hair and black contacts in. She was ment to look a bit predatory and less Disney.

Name:  Glamour mermaid 1edit.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  301.8 KB

This was the mermaid makeup I mentioned above, and we have filmed a tutorial for this makeup for a makeup channel on youtube so if people are interested they will be able to see how it was done.
    Last edited by hay_31; 11-03-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: wrong wording

hay_31 - do you happen to have the link to the youtube video? I can't seem to find it.

Hi Still water,
    We are launching our tutorial channel next week, but the mermaid wont be ready for a few months, I will be getting the raw footage next week making notes on where I want it cut and the makeup steps of application/tools & products. The tutorial is for the photo of the makeup I did above, so you will just see how she was put together. I had another makeup artist assist me. There will also be a photo of the mermaid in my avatar, and one other past makeup I did. When we have it up, probably wont be until next year I will post a link : )