Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scuba tank and tail?!

Scuba tank and tail?!

Will any place you rent tanks allow you to do this? Or am I going to have to buy one of my own. I'm sure it will look absolutely ridiculous being a mermaid in need of scuba gear....but call me crazy, I think it would be the most epic feeling in the world to don my tail and go swim around underwater without having to surface...for lengths at a time just exploring. Has anyone else done this?

I'd love to try it!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    I don't think it would look ridiculous. OtterBay wetsuits makes scuba suits that look like mermaid tails
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I'm going to buy SCUBA gear after I move to LA, and you better believe I'm going diving in a tail.

It would be an awesome feeling... might be cool to arrange a group dive with several other SCUBA-certified merfolk

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Well, not to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't think it will be that great. Have you been scuba diving? You can't move very quickly or gracefully. The cool part about SCUBA diving is being able to look around, not the sensation of movement, which even with a tail will be clumsy. Then again, I'm not that experienced. Maybe other divers can swim better.

i just want a small tank. maybe 10-20 minutes. something light and portable. enough to be able to be under and feel like a real mermaid who isn't restricted near the surface.
    i've not been scuba diving yet, but we just found 2 shops here, one that sells, and one that sells, trains, dives, the works. we're going to call and find out pricing options on everything.

I thought we had a discussion about this in another thread? Maybe it was on mer.yuku. People didn't think the idea would work though, because the tank would get in the way of swimming with a monofin, or some reason like that. Older people kept on insisting it was too dangerous to try.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    Well, not to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't think it will be that great. Have you been scuba diving? You can't move very quickly or gracefully. The cool part about SCUBA diving is being able to look around, not the sensation of movement, which even with a tail will be clumsy. Then again, I'm not that experienced. Maybe other divers can swim better.
    Really malinghi? I might not be licensed (again, not for lack of trying) but I have gone on a number of dives, both as part of resort crash courses with guided trips and as part of my training and certification. I found the freedom of movement while SCUBA diving to be exciting and ecstatic (I don't THINK I got rapture of the deep my first time, but I was attempting to build sand castles on the ocean floor while surrounded by a reef and watching the sand drift away, so maybe), and I didn't notice any movement limits besides the fact that one has a tank on your back (so maybe tails with dorsal fins shouldn't consider diving with them). I didn't notice anything that fouled the movement of my legs in any sense, and with the lightness of the water, it was possible to dolphin kick fairly easily. Tanks might make that undulating full-body swimming style popular among mers more difficult, what with the difficulty moving your torso, but with a decent monofin or pair of flippers, it shouldn't impact your speed very much. Also, not having to surface or swim near a source of air does expand one's swimming range and options substantially.

I may only be a novice diver, but I think I see the potential misunderstanding. Using standard 80 cu ft tank could be bulky, as it will be the length of your back. Something smaller, a"pony" tank nornally used as a backup for deep dives will be sufficient for shallow depths, allowing some decent bottom time with less bulk. Anyone in FL who wants to try, just let me know.

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    I'm going to buy SCUBA gear after I move to LA, and you better believe I'm going diving in a tail.
    If you do... You'd better post pictures!

Here are two good possibilities:

Spare Air

Name:  sp ai.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  65.4 KB

This is used as a small emergency bottle to get an out of air scuba diver to the surface. In a pool, it would last long enough to fulfill some Merfantasies. NB: You must be scuba certified to even purchase one of these, let alone get it filled (which could be done from a scuba tank).

Pony Tank

Name:  potk.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  42.8 KB

"Pony" tanks are often used as a larger emergency air source for a deep dive. A small tank like this (perhaps a smaller one) could be strapped across the small of your back (horizontally), as well.

So, what do you think..? This diver is willing to experiment!

yes!!! the second one is exactly what i had in mind! but the first ones i have NEVER seen and would kill to get my hands on one! too bad i'm not certified to buy one....can the second one be purchased? how many minutes would either give before needing a refill? i'm seriously happy with 10 minutes...i just want to freedom of feeling like i have gills....you know...without actuall gill surgery out yet. cuz i'd so be lining up for that. i'm not concerned for speed. just the not having to surface part. i would sit in a chair in the bottom of the pool (worst case scenario) for all i care, so long as i can stay under feeling mermaidy. but if you have details on these 2 designs...please please please tell me more!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyna View Post
    yes!!! the second one is exactly what i had in mind! but the first ones i have NEVER seen and would kill to get my hands on one! too bad i'm not certified to buy one....can the second one be purchased? how many minutes would either give before needing a refill? i'm seriously happy with 10 minutes...i just want to freedom of feeling like i have gills....you know...without actuall gill surgery out yet. cuz i'd so be lining up for that. i'm not concerned for speed. just the not having to surface part. i would sit in a chair in the bottom of the pool (worst case scenario) for all i care, so long as i can stay under feeling mermaidy. but if you have details on these 2 designs...please please please tell me more!
    You do need a certification card to buy either of these. I can get them, and plan to. I would be happy to help some Mers try them, in a private pool, undre controlled conditions. Message me if you(or any other Mers!) would like to learn more.

I'll post a bit more next chance I get....

mm... I live in upstate NY but will be relocating to Texas shortly. Message me some details maybe I can take a trip your way at some point.

I wanna get the small bottle shaped one! Looks awesome for an extra breath or two!
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Stone View Post
    I wanna get the small bottle shaped one! Looks awesome for an extra breath or two!
    In a pool, you can have some merfun on the bottom for a while.
    [I][B]What happens underwater, stays underwater...[/B][/I]

Pony bottles wouldn't last that long. Spare air would also burn out even quicker. They say a 13 cuft pony is supposed to last 30 minutes for childrens SASY rigs, but in reality, 15 is normal. 63 cuft cylinders would be a better choice. Also most backpacks won't fit pony bottles due to their reduced diameters. Most are made for diameters of 6" on up.

How about this? It starts at 00:28...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QU5Q...5&feature=plcp
    [I][B]What happens underwater, stays underwater...[/B][/I]

That's about a 40-50 cu/ft cylinder. 63's are easier to find and fit with no mods! They also would give most women about an hour of bottom time.