View Poll Results: Vote here for your favorite entry in "Merman Fashion Design":

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mermaid Saphira

1 3.70%
  • Nykur

1 3.70%
  • vallee33

1 3.70%
  • Mermaid Dottie

1 3.70%
  • Mermaid Madeleine

0 0%
  • green52

1 3.70%
  • MermanJV

0 0%
  • Mermaid Celissa

1 3.70%
  • Jinx

3 11.11%
  • vence.micheal.

4 14.81%
  • Kanti

7 25.93%
  • Merman_Shaun

2 7.41%
  • Mermaid Brianna

4 14.81%
  • Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!

1 3.70%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AUGUST MERNETWORK CHALLENGE: MERMAN FASHION DESIGN

OK, Aeolius, where did you get the trident?

Of course, I'd have to get one each for my son and son-in-law too, if I expect to get to play with mine any.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    I might sketch up a few designs for this
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alveric View Post
    OK, Aeolius, where did you get the trident?
    I bought it years ago, I think from BudK. I found one online HERE
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Just a reminder since people are posting a lot of pictures in this thread- when you post an official submission for the challenge please clearly state that it is your submission. Its totally cool to post photos and drawings in here while discussing the challenge and I encourage it. I just want to be able to tell what posts are a submission and what is just showing off cool stuff or works in progress or other stuff.

This is a very cool challenge idea... I can't wait to see the end results! So many creative people here.

Thanks Aeolius. That's my son's favorite catalog.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

Quote Originally Posted by Alveric View Post
    Thanks Aeolius. That's my son's favorite catalog.
    Glad to help! There's also a dandy Spartacus-themed trident head over at Museum Replicas

Men shouldn't feel afraid to wear a necklace, instead of clam shells, use long slender pointy shells & instead of crystals and seaweed, use SHARK TEETH.
    I'm currently working on my idea of a stingray barb dagger and ragged tooth shark necklace. And of course the traditional trident is a classic for mermen. How about fins for you arms, can they count as a design?

Quote Originally Posted by Nykur View Post
    I'm currently working on my idea of a stingray barb dagger and ragged tooth shark necklace.
    How about a sword made from a marlin bill and sharks teeth to go with that? KoaMaster

Last edited by Merman Dan; 07-20-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Hey that could work, I love that idea!

Chesapeake Pod
    Here is my design! Gold/Silver armor, an armor bracelet and a gold "mernetowork" shaped trident

Name:  008.JPG
Views: 1259
Size:  82.9 KB
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Aqua View Post
    Here is my design! Gold/Silver armor, an armor bracelet and a gold "mernetowork" shaped trident

Name:  008.JPG
Views: 1259
Size:  82.9 KB
    I would love this! Might like the armor to extend just to the bottom of the ribcage, tho. Leave a little open..
    [I][B]What happens underwater, stays underwater...[/B][/I]

Chesapeake Pod
    ThanQ

Mernetwork trident. Thats a definite winner by default. Playing on the admins good side

Chesapeake Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla of Duluth View Post
    Mernetwork trident. Thats a definite winner by default. Playing on the admins good side
    LOL! I have always thought it was an amazing design and it would be fun to make! I am actually thinking about constucting it

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla of Duluth View Post

Ha. You guys know the winner is picked by a vote, right? I've got one vote, just like everyone else.

By the way, if I can give some constructive criticism, the goal of this challenge is to try to make things that can actually be built and might hopefully catch on as something that people sell on etsy. While it isn't impossible to make armor, this drawing doesn't really give any indication of how it would become a real item. What would it be made of? How it would be made, and how it would be put on and taken off?

I think the best way to build this would be to make it out of fiberglass and then paint it to look like metal. It would have to be made in two halves that would be held with straps over the shoulders and around the sides, and would likely have some kind of foam on the inside in a couple places so it doesn't jiggle around when you're wearing it. What do you guts think?

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    You're all going down! Watch my magical mer-artistry bloom before your eyes as I create the the merman "look".
    I am so stoked about this challenge!

Edit: to keep the competition as fair as possible, I will not read any other post in this thread save the first one until I have posted my completed designs. This is to insure that I am not peeking at the competition.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    What would it be made of? How it would be made, and how it would be put on and taken off?
    From HDPE, the stuff they use to make storm trooper armor. There are tutorials for that everywhere! There are lots of different ways to make armor, but a lot of them involve things that wouldn't be water proof (like paper mache). For a dry shoot you have a multitude of techniques, but for water proof it starts getting more involved. There are plenty of people who make armor that refuse to work with fiberglass though. (Example) You would just have to mod some steps along the way- like using a waterproof glue instead of Elmer's for example. A lot of the materials used are foam, so that COULD create a floating issue. Best way to get around that would be to secure the armor at the bottom with an elastic belt on the inside (with easy off findings like snaps, hook and eyes, or industrial velcro), and if floating while swimming is an issue a awesome looking belt that doubles as a weight belt.

Also, making a metal trident can involve things that not everyone has access too.. but what if you made a trident out of PVC and PVC sheets (styrene) and decorated it to be awesome? In the water, again, floating issue. Solution: a little weight secured on the inside of the PVC handle. Examples: http://snuggiemouse.deviantart.com/a...dent-298123199 , http://www.flickr.com/photos/12690202@N03/5982589960 .

Also while I was browsing I ran across where you can buy the metal trident w/ hidden sword, as well as other tridents. I added them to the The Official Merfolk Accessories Store List. You're welcome

And here's my design, this is my entry.

Name:  100 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  387.5 KB

I think everything on here is possible to build, except the trident, that may be tricky, but with malinghi's trident tutorial it should be easy.
    I'm also working on another entry, but this merman is not a warrior like the one above, he will have more adventurous items and less warrior attributes.
    Last edited by Nykur; 07-22-2012 at 11:41 AM.