View Poll Results: Vote here for your favorite entry in "Merman Fashion Design":

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mermaid Saphira

1 3.70%
  • Nykur

1 3.70%
  • vallee33

1 3.70%
  • Mermaid Dottie

1 3.70%
  • Mermaid Madeleine

0 0%
  • green52

1 3.70%
  • MermanJV

0 0%
  • Mermaid Celissa

1 3.70%
  • Jinx

3 11.11%
  • vence.micheal.

4 14.81%
  • Kanti

7 25.93%
  • Merman_Shaun

2 7.41%
  • Mermaid Brianna

4 14.81%
  • Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!

1 3.70%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AUGUST MERNETWORK CHALLENGE: MERMAN FASHION DESIGN

Just in case anyone is waiting to be surprised, I will be uploading my newest outfit for my tail later today. I actually took the time to make it, and I hope you guys like it.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Suspense!

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJV View Post
    Just in case anyone is waiting to be surprised, I will be uploading my newest outfit for my tail later today. I actually took the time to make it, and I hope you guys like it.
    Mine's almost done too. I just need to make a few more technical diagrams and color it.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Great work everyone! Green, way to go on the how-to! I added it to our list of how to guides. Also, I saved a copy of the pdf to our servers so MerNetwork is hosting the file. http://mernetwork.com/imgs/Trident_sash.pdf

My only concern with this, how would the collar stand up on it's own? It's gorgeous, and I'd love something similar to it.
    You can thread wire through the top of the collar to make it stand on its own! Just somehow secure it in and it should stay up, hopefully! I might try it out later to see if it'd work ^.^
    Mermaid Jewel

Name:  Memories of Mermaids 030 censored.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  438.4 KB

My entry. <3 I think it's good. Hopefully, I'll have a full shot with me in tail and everything as well.

I censored it with Starfish. Granted, it's just a dudes nipples, but my camera is fairly detailed. XD

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks *more* profane with the censor stars?

What do you call that kind of jewelry? Its sort of like a necklace, but more. In any case, its really cool. How difficult was it for you to make?

wow. i can't wait to get started on this. everyone's entries look so good!
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

I love this idea! I want to be a warrior merman, and I think this armor is a great start. Just pieces on the shoulders and arms, and the breast and back plates end just below the ribs. It allows swimming flexibility, and it's a little sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jewel View Post
    Okay well I'm gonna do some of my own designs, but I just read something that reminded me of this...

For some reason I've always loved the body armor they wore in Terra Nova seen here:
    Attachment 4867
    Maybe there's a way to take just that top main armor part (obviously not the pants and gun and etc haha) and make it into a swim friendly version? I mean for a more modern, badass warrior merman maybe ^.^

I might draw up some ideas on how to do that later along with my own designs I'm excited, I've been on a costume design craze lately ^.^
    [I][B]What happens underwater, stays underwater...[/B][/I]

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    This is VERY gorgeous. <3 I love it. It would go nicely with the design I just finished....

Would you have any qualms with me attempting to make it at some point.?
    Of course not! please, feel free! ^_^ I'd love to see it on somebody.
    My only concern with this, how would the collar stand up on it's own? It's gorgeous, and I'd love something similar to it.
    I'm into corsetry, and what I use as stiffener in my bodices is Industrial-sized zip-ties. Not the best design for underwater swimming, I'll admit, but if there are holes for the water to pass through, it shouldn't be too bad. I was thinking more cosmetically than practically.
    Another thing you could try is weaving it loosely out of thin strips of green duct-tape. I have a duct-tape top that keeps its shape no matter what.
    Last edited by Mermaid Dottie; 07-30-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Quote Originally Posted by green52 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks *more* profane with the censor stars?

What do you call that kind of jewelry? Its sort of like a necklace, but more. In any case, its really cool. How difficult was it for you to make?
    It's referred to as a "body chain." and it only takes a few hours, (and a LOT of chain) to make. I used 20 yards of chain total... ^^; It would've been much easier if I had a dressform, or a mannequin.... but I didn't. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Dottie View Post
    Of course not! please, feel free! ^_^ I'd love to see it on somebody.

I'm into corsetry, and what I use as stiffener in my bodices is Industrial-sized zip-ties. Not the best design for underwater swimming, I'll admit, but if there are holes for the water to pass through, it shouldn't be too bad. I was thinking more cosmetically than practically.
    Another thing you could try is weaving it loosely out of thin strips of green duct-tape. I have a duct-tape top that keeps its shape no matter what.
    OMG! I'm super into corsetry as well. I have made 5 corsets, soon to be 7... And I only use zip-ties in mine (for economical reasons, really) It always works SUPER WELL. <3 Curious, where might you find industrial-sized zip ties? That would totally eliminate one of the steps I have to do for corset/bodice making.

Also, I'll definitely give it a shot, and when I do, You'll be the first to know. <3

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    OMG! I'm super into corsetry as well. I have made 5 corsets, soon to be 7... And I only use zip-ties in mine (for economical reasons, really) It always works SUPER WELL. <3 Curious, where might you find industrial-sized zip ties? That would totally eliminate one of the steps I have to do for corset/bodice making.

Also, I'll definitely give it a shot, and when I do, You'll be the first to know. <3
    I got mine at home depot last time. and then my aunt gave me this huge stack of them, because her husband brought them home from work. they were really fat. nice and stiff, but flexible enough to be comfortable. zip-ties rock. ^_^
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod SilverSiren's Avatar
    I'm all shiny new to this community. I really want to participate in this as I think I have great ideas but I'm working on building a business right now so I don't know when I will have time

I will be basing my business on mermaid related stuff, so I promise, even if I don't get to post a idea on this, I will endeavor to keep in mind the mermen! Alos, to keep in mind how helpful this site has been before I decided to join and post tutorials on some of my mermaid stuff or try my best to help others

Everyone here is very kind and helpful, I am excited to be apart of your community!

ive been drawing up things for like two days now! ive had a few ideas for a while now... im pretty excited about them honestly (:

i do, however, have a question. if i have multiple things, can i count it all as one entry? its probably all going to be on one sketchbook page, so...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod SilverSiren's Avatar
    It's referred to as a "body chain." and it only takes a few hours, (and a LOT of chain) to make. I used 20 yards of chain total... ^^; It would've been much easier if I had a dressform, or a mannequin.... but I didn't. D:
    You can totally make a dress form! Out of duct tape that actually is your size! There are a lot of tutorials on it out there! It would be worth it for you if you continued to make things like this, it would certainly make life easier, lol.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Name:  mernetworksubmission2.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  253.9 KBName:  mernetworksubmission2.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  253.9 KBim not going to say this is my official submission, its what i came up with and sketched up last night. im fairly new here and wanted to get some opinions, is this what is asked of? should it be only one sketch? I'm going for easy to create and affordable, modern mer. I'm thinking more contemporary, mermen are usually decked out in armor, and i like the thought of whimsical and practical clothing. most materials i had in mind are fishing nets, shells, and other baubles that can be found at fabric stores (=

In thinking about this contest I keep falling into one of two categories, Armor or Fetish Wear. This is quick difficult.

I'm working on my design now!

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.

Find me on YouTube! -->
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mermaidg...e=results_main

[Because legs are too complicated]

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    OH WOW! Everyone has done such a great job!!
    I'm kinda apprehensive about submitting my work now lol
    heck I've only got the outlines done. but they will be posted soon.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...