Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shells!

New Shells!

Hi! I wasn't really sure where to put this post, so sorry if it's in the wrong area. I have these shells that I've had for a while, but I don't know what to do with them. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "For the love of mermanity"

Some people make tops with them, has a natural look when the abalone are unpolished. You could try and polish them yourself, but it takes certian tools and a lot of time. Also the dust from those is toxic and can cause lung disease as well, so you have to be very careful by wearing a p100 respirator mask or work so they're underwater so the water catches the dust (or both), when doing any work involving sanding or drilling abalone.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Hair clip, necklace, belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's a pillow underneath, I'd say they're pretty big o.o
    they're a nice color, even when unpolished
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pearl View Post
    How big are they? It's hard to tell the size from your photo.
    They are about the size of my face... A little bigger than a dvd case.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Some people make tops with them, has a natural look when the abalone are unpolished. You could try and polish them yourself, but it takes certian tools and a lot of time. Also the dust from those is toxic and can cause lung disease as well, so you have to be very careful by wearing a p100 respirator mask or work so they're underwater so the water catches the dust (or both), when doing any work involving sanding or drilling abalone.
    Ok, Thanks so much! How would I polish them? Is that just sanding them?

You will be sanding forever without a sander and if you don't coat them with something like resin there will be a fishy smell to them like rotting fish. That's what happened with my top when I tried swimming with them. I guess since everyone is saying the dust is lethal, I will as well but thought it was common sense. The dust is lethal, use a respirator.
    Last edited by Mermaid Reiko; 03-28-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    I never knew my place in the world,but
    I found it here as a Merkin to everyone here.
    FTM Trans Gender-fluid Male
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Not only that, but inhaling the dust from sanding shells can be lethal!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    I know some people dip their shells in acid to remove the hardened ocean gunk (when cleaned abalones are red on the outside I think?) or soak them for longer to remove the natural finish and leave only the mother of pearl on both sides. But the fumes are poisonous, the acid is corrosive to EVERYTHING, and you have to dispose of it properly. It can also dissolve your shells if you let them soak too long.
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin

Thank you everyone for your responses! I really appreciate them!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Nyx's Avatar
    Add Nyx on Facebook
    Follow Nyx on Tumblr Visit Nyx's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Marine View Post
    I know some people dip their shells in acid to remove the hardened ocean gunk (when cleaned abalones are red on the outside I think?) or soak them for longer to remove the natural finish and leave only the mother of pearl on both sides. But the fumes are poisonous, the acid is corrosive to EVERYTHING, and you have to dispose of it properly. It can also dissolve your shells if you let them soak too long.
    I don't think that would work with abalone (tried it myself).
    The acid removes calcification(?I think it's what it's called), to get the mother of pearl you have to sand it down for sure. Taking layers off the actual shell would take forever if it IS possible. It might even make the shell brittle from all the acid.