Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you go about starting a pod near you?

Question how do you go about starting a pod near you?

So it seems there are a number of people from the nj/pa/ny area. i would love to have a pod that would be official for us. how do we go about making that happen? or is there like a mini-pod or something that can be started?

The official pods are already divided up for that area. We only create new pods for areas that haven't had one declared (there are a few blank spaces on the map, and in other parts of the world). As it is, we don't create mini pods- otherwise there'd be minipods (and forum subsections) for every group of mer friends in the US. Don't let lines on a map keep you from having a meet up though! People travel from one pod area to another to have meetups and it's no big deal

Junior Member Pod of the Great Lakes
    What about the Kentucky and Tennessee areas? I am in West Virginia and so technically in the Great Lakes pod...however my location in West Virginia is 45 minutes from Kentucky, 1.5 hours from Tennessee? If you created a pod for that small region would the lines redefine? why is there no pod in that area?

Cool! What part of WV? I was born and raised in Putnam County (about 30 minutes from Huntington and Charelston).
    I guess there's no pod for that area because at the time we didn't have any members from that area. However I think including WV, Kentucky, and Tennessee for a pod called the Appalachian Pod would be great! I'll have to talk to Malinghi about that. I'm not sure he'd be keen on redefining any pod lines.

We're located in Lexington, KY.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    Is there a pod for South East Asia ?
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

how do you go about starting a pod near you?

I would really like to get in touch with anyone in South Africa, seems like I'm the only mer around these parts. which I find ironic, since we are surrounded by ocean on three sides. Could It be possible to announce a pod for SA? seems like I'm pioneering mermaiding here. Feels good though :3

I'd consider me...but um...I don't live there. I've been twice though! I have family out in Green Point and in in the Durban area ek weet nie of jy Afrikaans kan praat, maar ek hoop jy kan enige Mers in jou gebied kan kry! Write me at some point

Hahaha seeing someone write to me in Afrikaans IS a little awkward, and yes I do speak it lol. Yeah seems like Im the first to grace these shores, I have looked for others, but to no avail. I'll just keep putting the word out there and maybe i'll hook myself a mer-friend out here, excuse the pun :P Good to know there are still others here that I can share my interests and passions with nonetheless.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Look at it this way, you'll have the market cornered on mermaid gigs!

Trust me, I have thought on it ALOT! Pretty flipping excited to start putting my name out there, but thats probably a discussion for another thread. Would love to start doing kids parties first, just to get my fins wet. :3 besides, kids are awesome and always positive.

If you don't already have it, you should consider picking up Raina's book. LOTS of excellent information!

I've seen her V-blog thingies on youtube Bout it, sounds like a great read! Haven't seen it in any local bookstores, ill look for it online somewhere or refer back to the vid on youtube or get the e-book if there is one

Quote Originally Posted by TheChimera View Post
    Hahaha seeing someone write to me in Afrikaans IS a little awkward, and yes I do speak it lol. Yeah seems like Im the first to grace these shores, I have looked for others, but to no avail. I'll just keep putting the word out there and maybe i'll hook myself a mer-friend out here, excuse the pun :P Good to know there are still others here that I can share my interests and passions with nonetheless.
    lol I used to speak Afrikaans a bit better at one time, but I still got something left =) There should be others in South Africa...I don't see how you could be the only one....

Thanks PearlieMae ! I've honestly looked, even searched for mers that could possibly be doing underwater shoots..nothing, it's all mundane stuf, but i'll keep trying. But South Africans don't really seem to know what mermaiding is yet :/ i've only seen entertainers in non-swimable fins, and only during 'very special' occasions lol. A bit lonely over here

Well, I didn't find any other mers in South Africa, but I found an underwater photographer on Flickr located in Cape Town: http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffspiby/

Maybe contact him about a shoot where you two trade your skills! You model as a mermaid, and in exchange he gives you copies of his photos of you. Once the both of you make the photos public, others might start contacting you both, and presto! A pod is born!

Yup, I know about that dude, but he's a bit far...I've thought of that, of kinda sparking people's interest in the art, or getting exposure as a mer attracting others to myself. Hope the plan works , and if there aren't any others, then at-least I would have started something...dun dun dun....."So it begins"

Quote Originally Posted by TheChimera View Post
    Yup, I know about that dude, but he's a bit far...I've thought of that, of kinda sparking people's interest in the art, or getting exposure as a mer attracting others to myself. Hope the plan works , and if there aren't any others, then at-least I would have started something...dun dun dun....."So it begins"
    It shouldn't be too difficult to spark interest in others. Mermaiding may be seen by some as an odd this to do, but others like us find it freeing...(if that makes sense) it's something that is starting to grow at a rapid pace world wide. I am sure you will be able to start a pod up in no time

Quote Originally Posted by JamesGunnels View Post
    It shouldn't be too difficult to spark interest in others. Mermaiding may be seen by some as an odd this to do, but others like us find it freeing...(if that makes sense) it's something that is starting to grow at a rapid pace world wide. I am sure you will be able to start a pod up in no time
    Makes total sense, and I agree, i have a few things up my proverbial sleeve to use to promote mermaiding here, and i wont rest untill it happens , and there is a sustainable increase in mermaiding activity