Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merfolk of Color

Quote Originally Posted by draggersprez View Post
    there's also Yemaya (another name of mama wata)

and her daughter Oshun

i once found a picture of Oshun with a yellow tail, but couldn't find it again, sowwy.
    and here's a blog i follow that post minority merfolk: http://mermaidsofcolor.tumblr.com
    What a great resource that site was. Thank you.

look what i found!

it's from some children's book, but there wasn't a book cited.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Calypso View Post
    me and my mother were having this exact same conversation a few days ago.
    she loves that i'm a mermaid and that i have found a group of people who share my love and passions but she had asked me once how many black mermaids i knew in the community and i told a quite a few which made her happy. she them implored me to included colored mermaids in my stories and my drawing because as she put it
    "Black Woman Make anything looks good, even scales darlin'"

but in all seriousness it would be nice to see more mermaids of color in the media and in books and tv shows and movies. I've looked at loads of mermaid commercials and its always white girls, same goes for magazine adds and the like
    I do think however once the mermaiding craze goes mainstream the black community and the other communities of color as well will want to jump on the band wagon.
    Well all of this makes me feel better I want to mermaid so badly well currently I am training right now.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Rillia's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Rillia on Facebook
    SO glad this topic came up. I dont feel so alone.
    User formerly known as "Mermaid Brooke".

Mermaid Rillia

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod SilverSiren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merboy78xy View Post
    I know! I think it's amazing that there truly IS a stereotype that the first to go in any horror move is: The black character, followed by the gay character, etc...
    I'm always like: "Why's it gotta be the black guy!?"

so in this case its: "Why's it gotta be the black mermaid!?"
    I know! I totally agree! The token black guy, they have him in every group! When it comes to drama, he's there so no one seems racist, in horror movies its the same thing but they kill the dude off first, and now its the same with fantasy movies, black mermaid gets gutted. What the heck?! As for my coloured contribution to the mers, I am Native American

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    so the the saddest/sweetest thing happened to me this weekend.
    i was at a local pool braving to put on my mermaid Tail and swim with a couple of friends
    the pool really wasn't that crowed or anything just me, my four friends, and like six adults and five little kids
    so as i'm trying to convince myself to just go ahead and out the tail on and get the fuck in the pool, my friends chanting "YOU CAN DO IT!"
    I this little black girl sitting by the shallow end on the stairs looking sad and grumpy so i told my friend to shut it and walked over and asked her what was wrong.
    apparently she had wanted to play mermaids with the other girls but on of the girls had simply said to her "but mermaids aren't black"
    no the little girl hadn't said it to be cruel or anything i think she was simply obzerving what she has seen on tv and in pictures
    so i told the little girl that that of course mermaids were black and i was one
    to which she says reather cutely
    but your a boy right?
    to which i nodded and said yes but boys can be mermaids too
    so i told her to wait where she was at and i would show her. i put my tail
    snuck into the pool and swam right passed the other girls playing mermaid and over to the girl on the stairs
    i have never seen such a huge excited smile in my life.
    i put her on my back and swam over to the girls again and said
    "i'm Shionie's mermaid friend, she says you won't let her play mermaids with you. thats not very nice. Shionie makes a very pretty mermaid"

my first swim in my tail and i end up making some little girl's day.
    i'm like in happy tears i swear.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Senior Member Pod of Oceania happyguava's Avatar
    Calypso, that's such a beautiful story!! Perfect right place/right time moment, you must have felt amazing

so the the saddest/sweetest thing happened to me this weekend.
    i was at a local pool braving to put on my mermaid Tail and swim with a couple of friends
    the pool really wasn't that crowed or anything just me, my four friends, and like six adults and five little kids
    so as i'm trying to convince myself to just go ahead and out the tail on and get the fuck in the pool, my friends chanting "YOU CAN DO IT!"
    I this little black girl sitting by the shallow end on the stairs looking sad and grumpy so i told my friend to shut it and walked over and asked her what was wrong.
    apparently she had wanted to play mermaids with the other girls but on of the girls had simply said to her "but mermaids aren't black"
    no the little girl hadn't said it to be cruel or anything i think she was simply obzerving what she has seen on tv and in pictures
    so i told the little girl that that of course mermaids were black and i was one
    to which she says reather cutely
    but your a boy right?
    to which i nodded and said yes but boys can be mermaids too
    so i told her to wait where she was at and i would show her. i put my tail
    snuck into the pool and swam right passed the other girls playing mermaid and over to the girl on the stairs
    i have never seen such a huge excited smile in my life.
    i put her on my back and swam over to the girls again and said
    "i'm Shionie's mermaid friend, she says you won't let her play mermaids with you. thats not very nice. Shionie makes a very pretty mermaid"

Calypso saves the day!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    I honestly i felt like i was some kind of underwater fairy tail hero
    the little black girl's mother thanked me over and over and said that it was a shame that there weren't mermaid African american mermaid for her little girl to look up to so i asked for her email address and sent her all the picture i had that were kid appropriate that featured black, African, Cuban, and any other mermaids of color i had.
    i even told her about fishbutts for getting a tail for Shionie
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Bravo, Calypso

amazing story!! brought me to tears a lil bit!
    I Believe

Oh my goodness! Calypso, that's amazing!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod SilverSiren's Avatar
    Calypso, once again, your amazing. Very Cinna of you.

omg, calypso, thats such a sweet story :3
    good for you! and i hope she gets a cute little tail of her own!

New movie

http://weblog.liberatormagazine.com/...l-realism.html
    Found out about a new movie featuring POC as the main characters!

Calypso -- amazing story- great job !! And yes I want to see more mermaids and mermen of all colors ! Our differences are what makes us all beautiful and unique. I have Doreen Virtue's Mermaid Oracle Cards and I know there's a few Mermaids of color in there too...I'll try to post them,
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful images. I especially love the one with the earth in her belly

On a related note, I had this vision before that it would be really cool to see more tribal or native styled merfolk like tails and costumes that are inspired by traditional dress of people from different continents and countries....like a South American themed Mermaid, African themed, Asian, Native American, Inuit, etc, etc. Some one could really go crazy with that theme....like Mermaids from around the world

I am one of the few dark mermaids on this forum. I am half Italian and half Black. I will try to defeat my social phobia and fear of people and attend the conventions some times. But not just yet. I am too afraid of crowds at this point and I would hate to have a major emotional setback if I attend an event and anything happens to make matters worst. I remember one of the last NON mer conventions I went to about 10 years ago, strangers I was being introduced to were making off the wall snarky comments to me.
    Last edited by Mermaid Oshun; 12-29-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Follow LittlePolly On Twitter Add LittlePolly on Facebook

Merfolk of Color

In the Disney series of the little mermaid there was a colored mermaid with a pink tail and she was deaf. She had an Octopus that translated her deaf talk. Is this the one you meant Psychic Tideborn ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk