Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Merfolk of Color

POC is a term used just for non white people and while it does incompass those who are queer or lgbt, a lot of people forget that they're included also. (And some POC get really mad when they're told they're people of color )

Sent from my LG-M210 using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Minorities is the correct term when discussing things like this as it includes not only racial minorities but those on lgbtq spectrum and the intersections of those.

haha was literally gonna PM you to get your thoughts on it

I'm bi/pan, and have never heard or been associated with the term POC. Never even heard it til recently, actually. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that constantly being labelled just puts a target on us. It's time for none of that to matter, to anyone. We are all just human, and equal.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusauriel View Post
    I'm bi/pan, and have never heard or been associated with the term POC. Never even heard it til recently, actually. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that constantly being labelled just puts a target on us. It's time for none of that to matter, to anyone. We are all just human, and equal.
    that would be nice but I feel like it's the equivalent of putting our heads in the sand. it sadly does still matter, and the only way to make it stop mattering IMO is to hold people accountable. However I feel the same way about sexism as well. Men and women should be equal but on both sides of it we aren't and it'll only change if we keep bringing attention to it.

I agree with you. I have a hard time balancing between trying to make people understand and just wanting it all to just stop. People really don't just stop...

Quote Originally Posted by lotusauriel View Post
    Most POC know what it means because we are in a lot of safe spaces where we discuss being POC and what that means. Also it would be nice to not have to worry about labels (tho being black is a large part of my identity and i wouldn't have become the woman i am if it was different and i wouldn't give it up for anything ) but hinestly there are some of us dying, being raped, being stolen and facing so much adversity because we're people of color and ignoring that people of color face different things is like sticking your head in the sand and throwing up a middle finger to them.

I really do get it. I mostly just try to push kindness and equality on all fronts, while trying not to antagonize anyone. I do fail at this, a lot, as I'm sure many of you already know. LOL I have honestly never heard LGBTQA included in that though. And my safe place is pretty much my home. I am pretty reclusive, but also just do what I want. And yes, I have been assaulted, abused, date raped by someone I trusted... I am very familiar. That said, I still don't want to be seen as a victim, or weak, because that is when it happens again.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but there IS a movie featuring a beautiful black mermaid. It’s called the Water Phoenix
    I dream of a day when they may rise above the billows to drag down in their reeking talons the remnants of puny, war-exhausted mankind --of a day when the land shall sink, and the dark ocean floor shall ascend amidst universal pandemonium.

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    Though I haven’t finished reading through the entire thread, this is one of my biggest concerns or missions as a mermaid of color. There should be a lot more representation for mermaids of color with vibrant backstories, and should be given more of a spotlight in certain events I feel.

When I was a kid, show Fairytales for Every Child retold the little mermaid with a more Asian spin and it was beautiful <3

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Tideborn View Post
    I believe Disney had a little latin mermaid cameo in one of the Little Mermaid episodes, then again the character was based off of a real little girl who had cancer I believe and she loved mermaids... it was like a make a wish kind of thing... so as much as I love the fact that they did this, before and even after there has not been another non-caucasion mermaid on the disney front. As far as merfolk of color, I am SO glad to be a part of the growing community of the color brigade! My best friend and I are both mixed and we both have our other halves, mine is merfolk, His is elves. We are both glad to represent. I can't wait to get my tail so I can help raise awareness of the darker side of the merfolk world lol
    That character was also deaf, and was animated with real sign language.

Anyway, mermaids are fictional creatures so I like seeing them with different variations in design, including race.