View Poll Results: Which brand do you use?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finis (any fin model)

42 59.15%
  • Dolfins

3 4.23%
  • Lunocet

2 2.82%
  • Sharkfins

0 0%
  • Rocketfins

0 0%
  • Leaderfins

2 2.82%
  • Starfins

1 1.41%
  • Waterway (Glidefins)

4 5.63%
  • Salmon Monofins

0 0%
  • Hyperfins

0 0%
  • Pudov Monofins

0 0%
  • Triton

4 5.63%
  • Xfins

1 1.41%
  • Smith Aerospace

0 0%
  • Andronov Monofins

0 0%
  • Grankin Monofins

0 0%
  • Leaderfins

4 5.63%
  • Binfins

0 0%
  • Other (please share with us : ) )

22 30.99%
  • I make my own (method?)

10 14.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Monofin do you use? or do you make your own?

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Got a Finis Competitor, a MatMas (an Italian manufacturer) Mascotte and made a lexan fin for my fabric tail.

The competitor has a fiberglass blade, is quite stiff, gives excellent propulsion, but you have to have suitable muscles powering it.

The Mascotte is softer, has a polypropylene (stiff yet flexible plastic) blade and still gives a decent push, whereas considerable less than the Finis, of course. But it is not so demanding muscle-wise and due to the softer blade easier to maneuver in narrow and shallow pools. Plus, the plastic blade can handle scratches and dents better than the fiberglass of the Competitor.

My tail (fabric) I made to suit the Mascotte plus my self-made lexan monofin, but that one snapped on a fin-slap I tried.

I've swum the Mascotte in the ocean, but without a tail, the push was more than good, but I guess if I am trained enough I'd prefer the Competitor for tail and ocean. The Mascotte I prefer for training and muscle build-up as well as for swims when I have to do a lot of maneuvering.
    Sent from my phonebrick using Tapatalk

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    So Dive Hydra in clear!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Add to say that I now have a Finis Foil too. Its nice and light, and even fits into my big bag pack that I use when I go swimming.
    Its a nice practice fin. I use it when I try new tricks. And so I get used to the different moves before I do them in my big tail (merfin).
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I have many monofins, but none of them is "ideal" in my eyes although the Hydra comes close.
    It also makes a world of a difference whether the fin fits you really good or not.

I owned two competitors.
    The first fit me snugly, but broke after the first use due to the flimsy (read: none) packaging I had received it with.
    It propelled me with the speed of an aeroplane in water!
    The replacement I got barely fits me (the footpocket was made for someone with metre-long feet, it seems), and all I get from it is blisters and very little propulsion
    Name:  cry-fists.gif
Views: 420
Size:  1.6 KB

I'm a fan of good bifins, though.
    Nice propulsion, very good manoeverability, easier to transport, and they fit in almost any tail

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Oh no! Have you tried wearing neoprene socks with it?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    You mean with the comp?
    Not possible, the footpockets are very tight and narrow, I can barely get my feet in even though I have narrow feet.
    The length of it is astounding tho, I really don't know what kind of creature could possibly have feet that narrow but long lol!

Senior Member Euro Pod CowgirlMermaid's Avatar
    Add CowgirlMermaid on Facebook
    Visit CowgirlMermaid's Youtube Channel
    I own a Waterway Model 2 The only monofin I knew before I found this site, my monofinclub had no other monofins.

Recently I bought a fabric tail, which came with a Finis Foil.
    The Foil is cute, although I don't like how the footpockets fit me, they're big and long enough but they're a tad narrow which cause my feet to slighty curl up(?) the side of the footpockets.

I prefer my Waterway though, since I'm used to big powerful monofins from the beginning.
    My feet hurt after a while if I don't use shampoo or soap to lubricate my feet to slip in the footpockets, but it swims wonderful!
    I once swam in het IJsselmeer (a big saltwater lake in the Netherlands) and even with all the waves, I could swim very fast and far and all the way back to the beach. An awesome experience!
    Last edited by CowgirlMermaid; 04-21-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Sewing scales on my tail!
    80/404 done!!!!!!
    16 Orange!
    64 Black!

I use a So-Dive Hydra as my main fin, and have the Finis Aquarius as a backup. I love my Hydra, but it's in my latex tail, so the Aquarius is a fun monofin to have when I don't want to get my tail on.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    I use the Leaderfins sport monofin. It's quite heavy but my experience and strong legs, it's easy to come by!

I use the finis wave (or rapid, but I think it's the wave). I find with the socks, my feet really want to slip out of the holders. Anyone have suggestions for this? Also, my knees are a bit trashed from snowboarding.. any thoughts for keeping them from knocking while in a fin/tail?

I didn't realize there were so many brands.. didn't see very many when I was in the market for mine.

Jaffa — Saw your YouTube video about the orange tail you made for your Foil. How did your swim in it go?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I clicked Lunocet and "Other", other being the monofin built into the low cost fabric tails. My current one if from The 2 Tails, but I expect to retire that one (its a little small, both the monofin and the tail skin) and move to Fin Fun.

You poll should include the Fin Fun monofin, the Sun Tails monofin, and the Two Tails monofin

Also, I have a waterways, but have never used it as the foot pockets are too narrow for me to get my feet into. As Ive never used it, I did not choose it in the poll.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne86 View Post
    Jaffa — Saw your YouTube video about the orange tail you made for your Foil. How did your swim in it go?
    Good! That is my Aloha Tail. It was the first tail I ever made, and after the adjustments i made recently, it actually fits much better.

No, I never sold my Finis Foil. It has become my fave monofin. The Mirage Rubber Mermaid Fin was another fave fin for awhile too. But the foot pockets never stretched out as I thought it would. So it sits gathering dust until the manufacturer DOES make an adult size fin and then I can sell off the kids one.

Follow Kunoichi Ribeiro On Twitter Add Kunoichi Ribeiro on Facebook
    Visit Kunoichi Ribeiro's Youtube Channel
    Hi merfolks! At the moment i have 3 monofins and the fourth will be arriving very soon. My first one came on my Turquoise Mermaid Kat tail, a white Hydra, the second one is a Coral Mahina Merfin, the third one a Blue Aquarius who came with my Caribbean Blue Eco Tail from Eric, and the fourth one will be a Finis Competitor inside my new silicone tail(im so excited for it! Will be the first time using this type of monofin.)! My list in order of preference for now is:
    1- Mahina Merfin
    2- Hydra
    3- Finis Aquarius
    With the Mahina Merfin im like a speed bullet! The buoyancy and propulsion she gives is just fantastic! In the hydra which enchants me is the fluidity that she transmits to movements. Really a very beautiful thing to see. And is very comfortable to wear. About Aquarius Finis... Well, I'll be honest. I do not know what it feel for her. I think I'm a little disappointed. To swim with it I need to make a greater effort, the good in it is automatically I exercise more my core. Also more effort to dive, the rubber band on the back usually get loosen enough. Before buying I had enough expectations about it, and now I think I do not recommend it for people who want to be a professional. To play with friends and have fun ok fine. Now is wait the competitor to see if' is so good as everybody speaks!

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!)
    I have a finis rapid. It's a little big on my feet, but I wanted the larger blade. Still swims great. I technically own two, because I bought one for my mom to use, but until she renews her pool membership, it's basically a second one for me. She has tried it, though, and LOVES it. So yay for being a good daughter who brought her mother into the world of mermaids.

And then I also have three other monofins that I made myself from hard plastic three ring binders and the more flexible plastic from two pocket folders. They are then put together with lots of duct tape. They also swim great. One of them fits my finfun, and the other two fit my home made tail. The finis will go in the finfun once I modify it. And then I can retire the duct tape fins.

Oh and a Sun Tail Nunui monofin soon as the staff get around to my kick starter order.

I just bought and used my first ever monofin. Tis a Mahina mermaid one. A little rubby at spots so I'll need to add socks or something. Beautiful and easy enough to get on and off.

I voted "other." I have an older model Oceanika Merfin I purchased used. It says it fits size US 7-9, but the foot pockets are extraordinarily tight. I might size up to the medium in the Mahina Merfin which is supposed to fit US 8.5-10.5. I have been working on trying to stretch the foot pockets by wearing thick neoprene with it, and it has helped some. So far I am please with it and got a very nice tail made for it on Etsy for a really reasonable price. I'll post pictures of the tail once I have better ones then in my messy living room!

Member Pod of The South Coral Corey's Avatar
    Add Coral Corey on Facebook
    I just this month got my Mahina merfin in the mail. I have been able to swim in it two times and I love it. I did buy neoprene socks to wear with it because it would likely cause blisters if I went without them. The monofin is flexible and can be bent in half but in the water it also gives great propulsion. I do not have any other monofins to compare it to but I do highly recommend it.