Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 413

Thread: Vent about your health

  1. #21
    I live with a constant headache, just a small one. Not much compared to others but annoying all the same
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

  2. #22
    Senior Member North Pacific Pod Raayvhen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,078
    Follow Raayvhen On Twitter
    Follow Raayvhen on Tumblr Visit Raayvhen's Youtube Channel
    I don't really have anything seriously wrong with me but I have a ton of little things. For example if I happen to sneeze within an hour of waking up I have to brace myself against a counter because it feels like someone is ripping out my spine.
    Seriously though, if you look at my medical records it reads out pretty long.

    Acne
    ADHD (Resolved)
    Allergic Rhinitis
    Allergies
    Anemia
    Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding
    Fracture of the Finger Joint (Resolved)
    Irregular Length of Periods
    Keratosis Pilaris
    Migraine
    Mild Intermittent Asthma
    Postconcussion Syndrome
    Pulmonary Obstructive Disorder
    Reynaud's Phenomenon
    Rhinitis

    Yep. Not really terribly big things, just a lot.

  3. #23
    Wow, I think this is a great thread. Yes, it's not great to be negative all the time, but I think venting is actually really healthy! It's good to be able to just get it OUT rather than bottling up all your frustrations inside and letting them fester.

    I injured my back years and years ago by jumping off a sand dune when I was a kid, and it's never been the same since. Sometimes I get extremely painful flare-ups, and at its best it's only ok. Once or twice a year over the past several years I've had flare-ups that were so severe I could barely walk. I hobbled around like a granny and I couldn't even stand up straight, it was so painful. It felt like my entire spine and pelvis/hips just locked up. It takes months and months of chiro and physical therapy and gentle core exercise (once it stops feeling like being stabbed with a flaming sword to even move my core muscles at all) to get it all back to normal. I try to be really careful not to exacerbate the problem, but sometimes it just happens for no obvious reason. But I find that if I focus on exercising regularly and working on my core helps fend off the flare-ups, and occasional chiro visits help keep everything in line.

    I also have been diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder, but the meds they gave me for it made me feel so sick and dizzy (right in the middle of finals week, argh) that I said Fuck It and never took them again. I just try to deal with the anxiety. I also get extremely low blood sugar, especially in the morning, that makes me extremely zombie-ish and hostile. I don't mean to be, but I know it makes me really difficult to be around sometimes. I always have to warn people about it so they know to stay out of my way until I find food and to not take it personally. I have to be really careful to always have breakfast and snacks around, especially when I'm traveling.

    Ilonka, I hear you on the dislike of small children! They make me super uncomfortable and I also cannot STAND the thought of being pregnant. Ever. Or being a parent. Ever. And a lot of people judge me for it too, but that's just the way I am. It's definitely caused a lot of relationship trouble for me too, until I finally found a man who also doesn't want children. But even before I met him, I dealt with it years ago by having a tubal ligation. Now I can NEVER get pregnant and I honestly feel so much more comfortable in my own skin.

    Kae-Leah, that leads into something I was going to mention to you. You said you hate having your period because it reminds you of your fertility. I felt the same way. So when I had my tubes tied, I also had a procedure called endometrial ablation (you can look it up) that basically removes the uterine lining so that it no longer sloughs off and causes a period. I do still have a tiny bit of spotting sometimes (sorry if TMI) but I've basically not had a period in four years. I don't know if this is an option for you, but you might want to look into it. It's not a surgical procedure but you do get put under general anaesthesia. I had it done at the same time as my tubal just to save on anaesthetic and hospital fees, but my mom had the procedure done just by itself. It's very safe. And man is it nice to not have a period!!!

  4. #24
    I've been having issues slurring my speech and forgetting words. I am sick of it.

    User formerly known as "Elaina-Wednesday".

  5. #25
    and lets add stitches to the knee on my list here,

    never try to catch a 8 lb mirror from falling, by putting your knee out to catch some of the weight- i ended up getting quite few stitches in the knee, i now walk around with a limp and im sure that bruise is coming in nice and purple.


    Lanai, The New York's OFFICIAL Professional Mermaid since 2012
    NewYorkMermaid.com Facebook Youtube Tumblr

  6. #26
    Senior Member North Pacific Pod Felicia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLanai View Post
    and lets add stitches to the knee on my list here,

    never try to catch a 8 lb mirror from falling, by putting your knee out to catch some of the weight- i ended up getting quite few stitches in the knee, i now walk around with a limp and im sure that bruise is coming in nice and purple.
    Wow I've done almost the same thing only I got 10 stitches in my thigh when I was 8 trying to catch my huge door mirror after one of my younger brothers slammed my door... Probably the the second worst experience I ever had with my clumsiness next to the time I slipped next to an open oven door and burned my bum and part of mt hip soooo bad when I was 13

  7. #27
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Dacora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    345
    I have some sort of eating disorder. The doctors cant figure out what is wrong. Every time I eat I get full but its not a normal full. Its "you're going to throw up everything you have eaten because you have eaten too much food" and boy does it hurt. If its not the "full" feeling it just hurts because something is in my stomach, its only a few bites of food that sets it off, like seriously 4 bites and its hurts. Im still hungry as well. I never can finish what I start to eat though so I end up wasting food. Its gotten to the point where I have to get small spoon fulls of food so I'm not wasting anything. I'm so frustrated, I don't want to eat because it hurts but I need to eat. To top it all off my family cant afford the medical bills to get me a good doctor to treat it and the only doctors we can afford write it off as it being in my head and I'm making it up for attention. I honestly doubt crying after you eat from the pain classifies as me wanting attention. I'm so sick of having to deal with this. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I wish I didn't have to eat to survive. The only thing that I'm getting any nutritional value from is those ensure drinks.

  8. #28
    That sounds awful Have you tried Googling your symptoms? Can you look for a clinic that charges on a sliding scale like Planned Parenthood does, but that might specialize in eating disorders?

  9. #29
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Dacora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post
    That sounds awful Have you tried Googling your symptoms? Can you look for a clinic that charges on a sliding scale like Planned Parenthood does, but that might specialize in eating disorders?
    It normally comes up with gluten intolerant or pregnant. I am neither, unless you can be preggers for 3-4 years and still have that lady time. I will have look into the clinic for eating disorders. Im not even sure if it is an eating disorder but that is all I have to call it for now.

  10. #30
    So have you been tested for gluten intolerance, then? Have you tried changing your diet at all, like doing elimination tests of different types of foods? I'm no doctor...but maybe you could at least experiment and see if there's something that doesn't irritate you so much :-/

  11. #31
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Dacora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    345
    I have tried that. The thing is certain foods dont all ways make it hurt. Like I will be able to eat a slice of pizza fine one time and then another time it will hurt. It hurts more often than not though. I have noticed that fruits are fine to eat. So I try and eat those as much as I can.

  12. #32
    That really sucks. Fruits are good, though, you can get a lot of vitamins and nutrients and things. I hope you find an answer to what's causing the pain, though.

  13. #33
    Senior Member North Pacific Pod Raayvhen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,078
    Follow Raayvhen On Twitter
    Follow Raayvhen on Tumblr Visit Raayvhen's Youtube Channel
    So guess who has a big welt across her face from having a guitar string snap while she was playing. I have to reschedule a photoshoot now and I also have to hope it goes away soon. Its BAD. I'm so glad I closed my eye in time. The welt literally goes from one side of my forehead down to the opposite cheek.

  14. #34
    So sorry Dacora I actually know what that's like. I have a intestinal disorder that comes and goes, and hasn't flared up for years, but when I had it it was a similar situation. I'd get immediately sick after eating anything- nausea and insane abdominal pain- and it felt like every bite was torture. Then I'd get abdominal pains for sometimes hours then have bad diarrhea or vomiting. Even from fruit, broth, even jello. I'd fear eating, but I had to eat because I'm hypoglycemic. I got really thin and sickly for a while. Doctors did all kinds of tests and never really found anything, so they labeled it as IBS. But sometimes they just say it's IBS when they don't know what is actually wrong :/ Said they only thing they could do was give me a cocktail of meds, but I refused that becuase my body generally doesn't like meds. The only reason I got that much out of the doctors was because my Mom kept after them constantly.

    Either way, I just wanted to let you know that there's someone who at least knows a bit of what you're going through. *hugs* Maybe there are some clinics or hospitals that offer services and meds on a sliding scale in your area? Those can be very helpful to people who don't have insurance.

    Until then maybe you could look into micronutrient foods for more nutrition. Maybe even juicing! I have to say I started lately because my stomach issues were flaring up and my body is loving it! Buying a juicer can be expensive (we got one for about $90), so maybe test it out with Naked brand juices. I highly recommend the Green Machine! They make all kinds though. See if your body is okay with it and go from there.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Dacora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingéd Mermaid View Post
    So sorry Dacora I actually know what that's like. I have a intestinal disorder that comes and goes, and hasn't flared up for years, but when I had it it was a similar situation. I'd get immediately sick after eating anything- nausea and insane abdominal pain- and it felt like every bite was torture. Then I'd get abdominal pains for sometimes hours then have bad diarrhea or vomiting. Even from fruit, broth, even jello. I'd fear eating, but I had to eat because I'm hypoglycemic. I got really thin and sickly for a while. Doctors did all kinds of tests and never really found anything, so they labeled it as IBS. But sometimes they just say it's IBS when they don't know what is actually wrong :/ Said they only thing they could do was give me a cocktail of meds, but I refused that becuase my body generally doesn't like meds. The only reason I got that much out of the doctors was because my Mom kept after them constantly.

    Either way, I just wanted to let you know that there's someone who at least knows a bit of what you're going through. *hugs* Maybe there are some clinics or hospitals that offer services and meds on a sliding scale in your area? Those can be very helpful to people who don't have insurance.

    Until then maybe you could look into micronutrient foods for more nutrition. Maybe even juicing! I have to say I started lately because my stomach issues were flaring up and my body is loving it! Buying a juicer can be expensive (we got one for about $90), so maybe test it out with Naked brand juices. I highly recommend the Green Machine! They make all kinds though. See if your body is okay with it and go from there.
    They told me it was IBS as well. The meds they gave me never worked. Thanks I will have to look into juicing, it sounds yummy. My cousin is gluten intolerant so Im not totally alone when it comes to this luckily. So far I haven't had to actually vomit my food or lose a lot of weight its not constant but not drastic changes.
    Im the same way when it comes to meds. It either makes me very sleepy or does not work at all,even with Advil or any type of pain killer I have to double the dose. I drive and go places a lot so I cant take a pill that makes me sleep and it wont do any good if I cant take it on a regular basis. As far as sliding scale services go the only place we know of is a free clinic and the doctor was not very interested in treating me. His words where "a skinny rat lives longer than a fat rat".

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacora View Post
    As far as sliding scale services go the only place we know of is a free clinic and the doctor was not very interested in treating me. His words where "a skinny rat lives longer than a fat rat".
    That's AWFUL! D: Man, I have had so so many bad doctors. Most of the time I don't think doctors really care about their patients at all unless they're a quick fix. It's really sad, and really frustrating for all of those with health issues.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Dacora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    345
    Yea most of the doctors I have had dont really care unless we can pay them up front. I did have one doctor who was awesome. She was almost in tears that no one has done anything for me. She did all the blood work and urine tests for me but she was stumped as well and couldn't find anything wrong. On paper Im as healthy as a horse but in real life Im not. I told my mom and grandpa about juicing and they want me to try it. My grandpa wants to do it with me and can buy me a juicer if we decide to do it.

  18. #38
    Senior Member North Pacific Pod Raayvhen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,078
    Follow Raayvhen On Twitter
    Follow Raayvhen on Tumblr Visit Raayvhen's Youtube Channel
    That's one thing that sucks about military healthcare. I haven't had the same doctor once in 3 years.

  19. #39
    I hope you all get better soon
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

  20. #40
    Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Jax, Florida
    Posts
    1,236
    This isn't much of a vent, but good news!!

    Following up on my past post about my thyroid. I had to do my biopsy (which was painful. Don't wanna do it ever again) We found out that I do not have a tumor and I had a now healing hemorrhage. Woooottt!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •