Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To buy a fish butt..or not to buy a fish butt

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod

To buy a fish butt..or not to buy a fish butt

I need a more realistic tail for reading to the kids at the library with however I have a couple concerns. I am only slightly allergic to latex (mostly latex band-aids) and it's nothing serious but I am worried about getting a latex tail, help? I am also afraid about the amount of time it will take to get into the tail, I do not want to take 2 hours to put on something that will only be on for a few minutes, help? Finally I wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with their fish butt bunching up around the ankles when you swim/sit/etc? I am also not the greatest swimmer in the world, have to get my self underwater , and I don't know if a latex tail is heavy or what not, help? Thanx in advanced
    Last edited by Mermaid Saphira; 08-02-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added another question ;)
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

it was really hard to get into my fish butt. but i did it dry and some people say it's easier when in the water. i think the water would cause a drag on the skin like wet swimsuits...but idk. i'll try it one day and let you know if i had success. i think realistically it only took me 20 minutes to get into it...and it was the first time. i have a feeling it will stretch some. also though, the monofin isn't in it yet, and i know that's gonna add a lot of time getting into them.
    but they are BEAUTIFUL! if you plan to do events and a lot of photoshoots, you definitely need one. if you just plan to swim and mermaid solo or with your pod, you don't really have to get the higher end tails. i just love them because they form to you and the way they look. i didn't think i could ever wear a fabric tail...until i borrowed 2 and they were so much fun. if i was going somewhere i didn't know, i would probably use fabric to swim and explore and no worry about damaging or scratching my latex tails.

Chesapeake Pod
    ^ ThanQ for the help. I saw somewhere that Stevi puts small holes in the tails so water can flow through, I think that might help reduce the drag some however I am no expert and do not know lol. I do plan on doing some parties in my area with my mertender. I would like to try and do a photoshoot one day. I am curious to know, how do u feel about the small scales she has? I would rather have something bigger but idk yet...
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

i actually like the scale print she does. it looks really good in person. i'll post a pic in a minute. i hadn't taken any yet. keep in mind it isnt finished yet, becasue i'm altering my monofin as we speak. it looks really natural. but yes, i like the larger ones to. i like variation. i aim to have my 2 latex as well as 2 silicone tails by the time i'm done. with fingers crossed within a year. moving states is gonna really hurt the accounts though. (and the fact i was out of work so long from my surgeries.)
    the holes in the fluke area are amazing. because when you swim...the water can come into your tail at the waist and travel down. i know a lot of girls have complained that the fluke fills up around the fin and makes it super heavy and hard to propel because then there isn't a nice thin cut thru the water...it's like a water balloon flopping around. and forget throwing it up out of the water. the holes allow the water to come out and keep the fluke nice and streamilned. plus it can drain and dry faster when you're done.

Chesapeake Pod
    I am looking forward to the picture, thanQ I apperciate it.

here's the tail itself this morning laying across my queen size bed. and last night when i had finally got it on. it's not the greatest angle to show it. but i'll get some and post them on my profile once i finish it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Chesapeake Pod
    ^ no picture? I'm confused O_O

fixed it. my comp's been glitching out.

Chesapeake Pod
    np wow ur tail is very beautiful!

thank you. miss summers is a wonderful tailor.

I love my Fish Butt! I prefer small scales, and the fluke detailing is amazing. Just a warning, though, if you live in an area where pools are shallow (as I do) your tail will have a lot of wear and tear...and I think silicone tails are the only ones that handle that very well.

After my first swim, my Fish Butt already has some small runs in the fluke where it kept brushing against the pool floor despite my best efforts.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

the only big problem i see is your latex allergy... you wouldnt wanna spend all that money for something and it end up giving you a bad rash or something...

Chesapeake Pod
    ^ I actually contacted Stevi and asked about this. Apparently she has a latex allergy as well, however she is not affected because of the neoprene lining.

Thalassa what do you mean by runs?

This picture is big, but it shows both the runs/tears and the placement of the damage low on the fluke. It's relatively minor, but it does show up in photos with kids and they easily detect it when looking at my fluke. On the bottom left you can see the threads of neoprene that have been pulled out.

Please note that the Fish Butts info sheet does say that cement and rough surfaces such as rocks will damage the tail, so this is not entirely unexpected.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Facebook

i love those colors though.
    I have a really bad latex allergy...and I was in my tail for almost 8 hours yesterday, an hour the day before, and 2-3 hours monday and had ZERO reactions to the materail touching me. i just be careful not to rest my arms on my tail too long just inc ase, but I've forgottena nd done it anyway, and nothing has happened.

Quick note: I emailed Stephanie about the damage, she got right back to me and said that sort of thing is common when the tail has been scraping the pool. She said that the only way to prevent it is to completely keep the tail from touching the cement.

She told me how to fix it, though, and it's relatively easy, so I'll just keep the materials handy. ;-)

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Quick note: I emailed Stephanie about the damage, she got right back to me and said that sort of thing is common when the tail has been scraping the pool. She said that the only way to prevent it is to completely keep the tail from touching the cement.

She told me how to fix it, though, and it's relatively easy, so I'll just keep the materials handy. ;-)
    Thanks! I am curious how do you fix it?

Does Stevi do good job making your tail look like your design?

she made mine look like the reference i sent her....it still has her style incorporated into it...but in the pics i got done it's crazy how much i didn't realize it really does look like the pic i sent her when ordering. and of course i told her to feel free to take the liber ty in running with it. because i like artists to have free reign on a design. you always get a better product in the end.