Thread: What paints work on lycra?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Taylor is a Mermaid's Avatar

What paints work on lycra?

Just what the title says. I did manage to find some Lumiere paints, but they're all glittery and what I really want is just a solid white; I don't want glitter. One of my friends recommended Dye-na-Flow, but you have to use a resist for that and it seems like it would be a pain in the butt for painting individual scales, which is what I want to do. Those of you who have made a painted lycra/spandex tail, can you make any recommendations? I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.createxcolors.com/
    http://www.createxcolors.com/product...lors/main.html (this is the one I use)

And you could use regular fabric paint air brushed on but I still would suggest createx
    I was born a fish!

Coral you are the best--always so helpful! I went to the store today and actually got a bottle of Createx paints, but I got the pearlized white and it's not as bright as I'd like. I think I'll go back tomorrow and hunt for some opaque white. Also, do you need an airbrush for these or can you brush it on with a paintbrush?

You don't need an airbrush for it, its just really thin, a lot of people use it for paintings and stuff, but you can use it on fabrics.....You could always get a dry pearl pigment powder like Pearl Ex Pigments you can make it as sparkaly as you want....but it doesn't take much.
    I was born a fish!

Awesome, that's exactly what I need then! I hope I can find some opaque white in stores.

You should be able to
    I was born a fish!

If you absolutely have to, I tested acrylic paint on lycra/spandex and it really is waterproof. I soaked it, beat it up, etc. It'll take the stretch out of your fabric though, so don't use too much, but it'll be a solid white I wouldn't use it if there's going to be a lot of white on your tail though! Good luck
    Mermaid Jewel