Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tails Together

Tails Together

Hi Everyone!

I don't know how many of you have been following Morgan the orca's situation (http://www.freemorgan.com), but after the death of the oldest beluga at our Vancouver Aquarium, I have hit my boiling point.

I believe that we as mermaids and have a responsibility, the greatest responsibility in fact. Not all of you may agree with me, but I know deep in my heart that we all believe that the ocean is our home and it is our greatest gift. I think it is time that we take a stand against the atrocities being committed against our home and the spirits we share it with.

There are enough of us out there now that together we really could make a change! We could mean the difference between a life in a concrete prison or a life of freedom out in the open ocean for an orca like Morgan.

Humans failed our beluga Kavna and I don't want to see this ever happen again!

Mermaids like Hannah Fraser, Dana Mermaid, Mermaid Kariel were the start of something big. They inspired us all to follow our dreams and take our passion for the ocean to the limits of our imaginations.

Now it's time to put our tails together and stand up for our ocean world. It is time to take action and use every day to find a way to help. Even if all you can do is send out an email, make a phone call or pick up an extra piece of litter. Even the smallest gesture can make a difference!

There are so many organizations out there trying to help, but the way I feel is who better than a group of mermaids?

I have been wanting to start a group for some time and I want to know who among you would be interested in helping me? Would any of you be willing to stand with me and help put a stop all of this?

If we don't do something soon, it will be too late.

I know this was quite the epic speech, but I feel very strongly about this and really hope that we can all work together to make a change for the better. I was going to call this group Tails Together. I would make a site for it and a forum potentially. I would hope that we could do things like start petitions, create artwork with a message, send out emails, participate in beach clean ups and in general spread the word about ocean conservation in any way we can!

Thank-you for taking the time to read this you guys! If you are interested in helping, please comment below. I would be happy to read any suggestions or other comments you might have as well.

Mermaid Hugs!

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Well, what exactly are we coming together against? All aquatic mammals in captivity or just whales? And what about in the case of disabled animals that would die in the wild? I agree with you for the most part except for the exception I mentioned. Maybe you should write a proposed mission, but yes this is a good idea.

Great Idea!!!! I think I'm in We could post videos on youtube about the bad things (oil spills and trash) in the ocean and its impact on mermaids and ocean animals.
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

Excellent! For sure! Sorry sometimes I forget people might not know what I'm referring to in my head! Ha ha! My bad! I'm referring to general ocean conservation and cetaceans kept in captivity. Disabled animals is always a difficult thing for me since in some cases places will make claims about the animals that aren't true and I think that is an important point. The fact is that there are no laws in place and if they are they aren't being enforced and excuses are made.

Thanks for your support you guys!

I want to make Morgan (http://www.freemorgan.com/) a priority. She could still have a chance if we can do something soon. Any ideas on what we can do to really get some attention on this issue?

I am hoping to go down to the beach in my mermaid tail and hold a picture of Morgan in a mini mermaid protest. I have already contacted a few other mermaids in the area to join me. Everyone is of course welcome! I will post the dates soon. Since people often come up to talk to me I would be able to talk to them about Morgan's situation and direct them to the website.

I agree

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    I just signed the petition and I will be posting it on my Facebook accounts.

for our oceans i agree for animals in captivity i do not, im sorry but personal reasons, I wont agree with you, Kavna was 46, wild belugas life expectancy is approx 35yrs. As for Morgan, Loro park has her intergrated with Adan and the others, she seems fine, is well cared for, and apparently she is deaf. Morgan is orphaned no one really knows who her family is, and she was out of the wild more than a year (not a few months- like springer whos pod is well known and observed unlike the orcas of the wadden sea.) Trust me I can go on and on but i wont. I will end it here on the captivity debate.

I will however push for saving our oceans I just saw a photo of a basking shark with a piece of plastic wrapped around its nose.. and a seal with a line wrapped around its neck. Our oceans are a mess theres more focus needed there..

I will definitely agree to disagree with you on that one MermaidLanai. It's fine to have a difference of opinion, but I urge you to check out the http://www.freemorgan.com/ website to read the reports and information they have posted.

I am not disagreeing that Kavna lived a long life, but was it fulfilling? She was taken from her home in the wild. This wasn't the way nature intended it and I don't think it should be up to humans to make that decision for her.

As for Loro Parque, I only know from what I have read as I am sure is the case with you too. Please, if you have been there to see her in person or have any photos to share that would be awesome! I am worried that they are saying she is deaf for the sole purpose of having a reason to keep her there. This is not my area of expertise, I will admit, but I would hate for that to be the case and I would like to see tests proving that she is deaf.

Thank-you for supporting the ocean conservation end of it though! I really appreciate that!

And thanks to you guys MermaidBubbles and spottedcatfish for supporting as well! High fives all around!!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I think this is ALL wonderful, but I was upset but the beluga's death too... and after researching I found out the whale actually lived a very long time past it's natural life expectancy, and that it died from something that couldnt be prevented or treated- something they're pre-disposed to in the wild.
    However, I disagree with captivity of whale and dolphins too. I would have preferred that whale lived out its natural life in the sea. So if I can be of help I will

Of course I'm with you! Anything I can do, I will do. I realize there are many pros and cons on both sides, but ultimately, I think humans meddle way too much in the life of animals (and of other humans too!). Most of the time, it is for self gain - monetary profit.
    Absolutely! Everything we can do for our oceans I'm all for it. Like you said, as simple as picking up a piece of plastic off the beach. As far as captivity, there are places where I can feel at ease, like aquariums, and places that I'm cautious about, like Sea World.
    I've signed and shared the petition.

Aww! Thanks so much you guys! I am really touched to see how many of you care! It means the world to me!

I am going to start putting something together for a site, get a twitter feed going and maybe a facebook page where we can share things we find. Any suggestions or ideas are totally welcome! Let's get rolling on this! Woo!

Thanks again you guys! I'm loving the enthusiasm! HUGS!!!

If any of you have mermaid photos of yourselves volunteering/educating in your tail or out of your tail that you would like to contribute to the site, please feel free to email me at tailstogether@gmail.com! All I will need to know is who you would like me to credit for the photo(s), your website/blog or facebook page if you have one and what caption you would like me to include.

Thanks!

The site is coming along and I have lots to say about the Minds in the Water premier I went to yesterday that I can't wait to share! It was such an amazing experience! I wish you all could have been there!

This is awesome a team of mermaids and mermen want to help saving the ocean!

Thank-you Mermaid Crystal!

OK guys! I need photos for the site (the images on there now are all temporary)! Here is the link: http://tailstogether.weebly.com/ The site is almost complete, but it would be amazing if I could get some photos up there of us mermaids doing our mermaiding thing! Ha ha! I will of course give credit to you for the photos so long as you include the info in the email you send. If you are interested in contributing to our collection, you can email me at tailstogether@gmail.com

Also! We have a Join page for your to submit your info if you would like to be included on our list of mers involved on the About page.

Any suggestions of things you would like to see me add would be great too!

Quote Originally Posted by courtneymermaid View Post
    I will definitely agree to disagree with you on that one MermaidLanai. It's fine to have a difference of opinion, but I urge you to check out the http://www.freemorgan.com/ website to read the reports and information they have posted.

Thank-you for supporting the ocean conservation end of it though! I really appreciate that!
    Courtney I've been following Morgan's case since she was found stranded, I know whats been going on since then, Im an avid Orca lover and even run a cetacean forum, we all are on the up and up on all of this. Ive read my share of info.. but Morgan is thriving in LP She's been doing well being kept with young Ada'n and skyla, so far she has foind "her place" in the pod as far as some LP regulars say. Yeah all orcas play, nip and fight its normal, she is deaf,, which is sad, whether partial or fully, I figure being around others similar to herself would do some good. But once agin thats a personal choice on myself..

BUT Like i said for the good of keeping our oceans healthy and clean..

That sounds great that you are still interested in the ocean conservation side of it Lanai, but I am disappointed that you push for cetacean captivity. I am one of many who agree that Loro Parque is a swimming pool prison for these magnificent creatures. I don't want to get into a heated discussion about this with you since I really would like for you to be a part of our other efforts, so I hope we can still work together and leave this here.

I would recommend watching A Fall From Freedom which is on our site's video page, it'll hopefully help give you a better idea of where I am coming from when I express the opinions I have.

Quote Originally Posted by courtneymermaid View Post
    That sounds great that you are still interested in the ocean conservation side of it Lanai, but I am disappointed that you push for cetacean captivity. I am one of many who agree that Loro Parque is a swimming pool prison for these magnificent creatures. I don't want to get into a heated discussion about this with you since I really would like for you to be a part of our other efforts, so I hope we can still work together and leave this here.

I would recommend watching A Fall From Freedom which is on our site's video page, it'll hopefully help give you a better idea of where I am coming from when I express the opinions I have.

Seen it, and "a whale of a business ", "the cove"and read "behind a dolphins smile".. etc.. Im all to well known with the anticap side of it all i use to be one for a while till i actually realized how much of a hypocrite i was .. when i turned 12, and then worked in the industry for a bit I know what goes on.. I wont ever lean that way again, I try not to associate with those who follow one anti- activist called "freedomfororcas" She pushed my buttons a bit to hard.. im leaving it at that.

BUT Again willing to Push it all aside for the oceans.. I want to be apart of a project to help save our oceans, i did a self motivated beach clean up the other day, I felt good doing it too, even if i was just there to just enjoys the sounds and smell of the ocean and not swim in it (it was stormy that day) I did it, its a step for a cleaner blue ocean. hey i did my part and im sure as hell glad i did.

That's wonderful that you did a beach clean up! Thank-you!! I'm going to be heading out again soon to do another one too! It's so important to set an example for other people! Often when people see me get out of my tail and pick up my bucket and tongs they ask questions and then offer to help! It's wonderful! Keep up the great work!

Feel free to use any of my pictures Courtney! I feel very strongly about protecting the oceans and will do anything I can to support my marine animal friends.
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W