Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So you don't want seams?

I have to say, I'm doing my best to hide the seams on my silicone tail (hence why it is taking me so long to finish this tail) but it is REALLY hard to hide them. O.O;
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingéd Mermaid View Post
    That's great, hahaha XD

Yes, photoshop is great! Clone and heal tools are your best friend for editing a tail.

It's true, the only tails that don't have seams are ones made from body casts, or a form made from your measurements that is similar to a body cast. Even that is only if you're good- I've seen some tail makers do body casts and still have seams. Too bad the only tail maker who did and was good at that turned out to be a scam artist (Adam Martyn). :/

It's true that Mertailor tails, Mike Van Daal tails, and Raven tails all have seams. The Mertailor ones can be really obvious, even from looking at it straight on (not on the side with the seam) because he uses so much silicone that it's actually raised at least an inch or two off of the normal scale texture (example, example, example) . With Mike it depends on the scale size you get- smaller scale patterns end up like this, but the larger ones look like this. That's his latex tails. His silicone ones are the ones that, I seriously was could could only find one picture of a hint of a seam, and there are pictures that are up close and high def with where they should be on multiple tails. You have to have a keen eye and some reflective lighting to see it - but you can make the seam out in this picture. Raven does a really good job with hers, but if you're looking for the seam you can spot it (example, example, example). So all in all MVD silicone tails are the least obvious from any I've seen. But that's only if you're picking things apart. Buuut when you spend upwards of $2,500 you want to be realistic about what you're going to get.
    Hey is that one my team? Not sure since the name is spelled different but it looks like my tail unpainted..i never saw that picture before..
    If it is my tail..itdoes has 2 seams..one on either side of the dorsal

It'll always be pretty impossible to hide the seams unless you re-shape the entire foot area or
    keep your toes constantly pointed.
    Since your feet are probably going to be moving around there's just no way to deal with it realistically
    besides modding the tail over to compensate for the shape/movement of your ankles.

I think another factor has to do with the ankles being measured incorrectly o_o
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Iona.. if that is my tail........ how did you come across that picture? Ive never seen it before......

latexmans' tails don't have seams!
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

I realize this is an older photo, but Mike's tails do indeed have seams. I found an example on accident. Hiding seams just takes time and practice, hence why his tails seem to be seamless. He's had a lot of practice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

If you have seams on your tail, you could say that that's your lateral line. Fish have lateral lines that sense vibrations in the water to warn them of possible predators and sharks use theirs to hunt.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    there is always seams unless it's poured into a full 3d mold. just a matter of how well hidden the seams are.

I know I was implying noticeable seams. I guess I sould've made that clearer lol. What tail makers use 3d molds to make their tails?
    Last edited by MerShellly; 03-14-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Raina, Raina, Raina...you remarked too quickly.

My tails have no seams, and I don't 3D cast.

What's with the thread resurrection?

This was the only thread I could find pertaining to seams, and not too long ago I learned about the purpose of a fish's lateral line, so I thought I'd share. I am really curious though what tail makers use 3d molds. I'm not very familiar with the process of making a tail in general.
    And I think she was also including seams that the tail makers try to hide, not just seams like the Mertailor's.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post

What's with the thread resurrection?
    I was just about to say 'tails with individual scales like Pearlie's and Finfolk's individual scale tails don't have any'.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Egads you're right! :facepalm: