Thread: About the waists of silicone tails

About the waists of silicone tails

As many of you know, I plan on eventually getting a silicone tail, specifically a Raven tail.

You might also have seen my post regarding the horrid disparity between my bum/thigh measurements and my waist size, which results in the waist being way too big. I'm going to fix this hopefully by use of an elastic on the inside, but I also know when I put a belt around my waist (pants have the same problem lol) it causes the material to tucker in an unattractive manner.

My question is (or rather, questions are): I've heard silicone is stretchier, would it be stretchy enough that this could be remedied? Would I still need to put a belt on the inside? Has anyone dealt with this sort of problem with a silicone tail, should I see if Raven can install a belt?

Any info y'all can provide would be fantastic!

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

I'm in the process now of making my own silicone tail and I can tell you that yes, silicone is VERY stretchy. It should be able to accommodate the size of your thighs and waist. If you're still worried, a small piece of elastic in the back would likely help to keep flapping from happening (which tends to occur in even the most well fitted of tails simply from the aspect of bending).
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I got my tail intentionally higher up, I could cut it down if I wanted, but I am comfortable with the waist being high. It's so sticky it grips me really well, but I am slimming down so it's getting loose. Not enough to effect my swimming, but enough that it hangs a little loose in the back. Im going to send it to Raven when I reach my goal weight to be taken in. I have no belt, the thing grips like a mother f.... er... it grips

Thank you guys for the advice (not saying I don't want more, if you know more keep it coming lol)!

Yeah, at the pool the other day I had kids looking down my tail as I swam (it comes up pretty high on me and I was able to tuck it into my top, but it kept slipping) and saying "LOOK! See, she's not a real mermaid, you can see her swimsuit!" So I want to fix that. XP

When I order my Raven tail, I'm thinking I should discuss this with her and see what measurements she thinks would be needed to accommodate this. It would be less simple for her than just getting an email with my measurements, and I don't want to be a bother...:-S Would she be okay with that? Is she too busy?

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I know she cant return emails til she gets back from michigan, but yeah ask her what she thinks when you're ready to order.

I have a silicone tail and I also have a tiny waist and big hips. My tail was made using a mold of my body, so the waist hand hips are exactly the same as mine. I have no problem getting the tail over my hips. Also, I'm a size 2/3 and my employee is a size 8 and can wear the tail. So there is lots of stretch and you should have no problem.

With full silicone, you should have no issues. Now if you get the one with the neoprene lining, the stretch might be limited to the stretchyness of the neoprene. But I've had lots of people of various sizes wear my old mertailor tail too.