View Poll Results: Where should we hold the meet up?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silver Glen Springs

3 21.43%
  • Alexander Springs

7 50.00%
  • Other (Please state if you haven't already)

4 28.57%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Mermaid Meet-Up! (And those who want to come)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar

Florida Mermaid Meet-Up! (And those who want to come)

Hello everyone!!

I've been talking with onelilmermaid (Mermaid Gosalyn) and we've been thinking about getting together for a swim.

But since the summer is still in gear here in Florida till mid-October, we were thinking about having a gathering at a spring (or beach?). We're aiming for sometime during September. I was hoping it could be on a Friday or a weekend. I was looking at some springs we can go to and Silver Glen seems really nice! I was there once and I liked it! Or Blue Springs is pretty too.

Would anyone be interested in this? Input is loved! Suggest what you want and I'll coordinated it together!

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Rillia's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Rillia on Facebook
    That sound very nice. Put together some dates when you get more people and keep me informed
    User formerly known as "Mermaid Brooke".

Mermaid Rillia

Senior Member Pod of The South WavyMermaidy's Avatar
    Ditto...I might be going out of state for the latter part of September but if I'm here that sounds like fun

Sounds like fun!
    [I][B]What happens underwater, stays underwater...[/B][/I]

This merman is always ready to blow bubbles oOo0oo ...especially with fellow mers!

Sounds awesome guys! Wavy, we'll try to aim for the beginning/middle of the month for you. What day do you leave?

Oh and btw since you mentioned Silver Glen Springs as a possibility (just in case you need some more ideas or suggestions for whatever reason) Alexander Springs (also in Ocala Nat'l Forest) is really nice too. I've been there and Blue Springs, which you mentioned...haven't been to Silver Glen but you said that was nice...but I do think that, either way, a springs would be the better option (as opposed to a beach) even though there is usually a small charge to get in. The water will of course be better for any photos, and it would be a safer swim for anyone still getting used to tails or what not if there are any newbies. Just a suggestion, anyhow

Thanks for thinking of me iblondie!!! I don't have a specific departure date yet but I'm thinking not til about the 24th or so

Im up for it if its late september/october.. not too bad of a drive for me.. I should have my tail back by then... im for springs in ocala area or further north....heard theres a great deep spring near the florida caverns if anyone can find out about that one..

Not yet sure if I can make it, but would anyone be interested in scuba diving at the meet?

I arrive to Florida September 5th! I'm going to be living in Sarasota. I have no friends in FL so it would be perfect if I could go to the meeting!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilonka View Post
    I arrive to Florida September 5th! I'm going to be living in Sarasota. I have no friends in FL so it would be perfect if I could go to the meeting!
    You have at least one friend in Tampa!

I'm interested, of course. I'm hoping we can make it to a spring since they usually have such clear water, even if it is cold. I really hope to meet some great merfolk from Florida (and Georgia, if they can make it).
    ~Daughter of the Ocean, Princess of the Waves~
    Not really active, but always mermaidy
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/FloridaMerfolk/

Wow!!! I'm so surprised with this turn out!

@Wavy: That's fine! My birthday is that week so I won't vote for that week either since my family will be in and what not. Blue Springs is by far my favorite. But it's also an extra hour drive out for me. But in a way I think it's worth it. I know both of them are Ocala bound. Silver Glenn is pretty central and there's a dock and an area where you can wade in. (Probably more like roll in with tails on.) Blue springs has a dock, and stairs from what I remember. So we'd probably have to flop off the dock to get in.

@ Drowning: As much as I would love to scuba. I've never done it nor have equipment :x So you'd have to count me out of that one.

@Nerine: What I'm looking at is the 14th or 15th and the 21st or 22nd. Are those late enough for you? When do you get your tail back do you know?

@Ilonka: I would FLIP OUT if you came!! I would love to meet you and see your tails! I've been sort of a creeper and have been stalking your tail making threads

@Gosalyn: Not going to lie, it's pretty chilly. I'm a wuss when it comes to cold water too but I handle it. It's nice because as soon as you step out it's all warm because of the hot air and weather. So I guess that's a plus.

In summary, how does the 14th or 15th and the 21st and 22nd sound for everyone? Any questions, comments, joys or sorrows as of now?

Quote Originally Posted by iblondie View Post
    @ Drowning: As much as I would love to scuba. I've never done it nor have equipment :x So you'd have to count me out of that one.
    Whenever you're ready to try scuba, iblondie, (and you know you want to! ), just let me know. I'd love to get together with the Florida Merfolk and get us all diving.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowning View Post
    Whenever you're ready to try scuba, iblondie, (and you know you want to! ), just let me know. I'd love to get together with the Florida Merfolk and get us all diving.
    Oh I do want to! It's an expensive hobby though xD Not fit for poor college students like myself. It would be awesome to get a group of mers diving and do some trips every now and then. Do you go cave diving in springs?

Oh! And would it be a good idea to make a facebook event for this?

Oh I do want to! It's an expensive hobby though xD Not fit for poor college students like myself. It would be awesome to get a group of mers diving and do some trips every now and then. Do you go cave diving in springs?

Oh! And would it be a good idea to make a facebook event for this?
    If you have a friend with some gear, it's not expensive at all

I don't do cave diving. I much prefer a warm, blue reef with colorful marine life to dark cave!

Wow!!! I'm so surprised with this turn out!

@Wavy: That's fine! My birthday is that week so I won't vote for that week either since my family will be in and what not. Blue Springs is by far my favorite. But it's also an extra hour drive out for me. But in a way I think it's worth it. I know both of them are Ocala bound. Silver Glenn is pretty central and there's a dock and an area where you can wade in. (Probably more like roll in with tails on.) Blue springs has a dock, and stairs from what I remember. So we'd probably have to flop off the dock to get in.
    Yes, Blue Springs does have a dock (actually 2) and several sets of stairs that go right into the water. The only concern with Blue Springs, as pretty and nice of a setting as it is, is that there is not a huge swimming area that is deep...the boil is deepish but not huge...and to swim to the boil requires going in not so deep water over lots of submerged logs and such that I think might be easy to scrape tails on. It's definitely doable, but might not be our best option.

Although... (doh!) now that I've just said all that I seem to remember that there are actually 2 Blue Springs in Florida. I just looked it up after typing that and found there is one north of Gainesville and one in Orange City off of I-95 north of Orlando. I'm talking about the Orange City one...are you talking about the other one? I went to the other one's website and it looks nice. Ah, ok, I guess that is Blue Spring(s) whereas the Orange City one is Blue Spring(no "s"). OH well. I guess there are worse things than having too many beautiful springs to choose from Blue Spring(s) (if that's the one you're talking about) would be a farther drive for me as well but would still absolutely be worth it, and you said it's your favorite

Alexander Springs (the one that is near Silver Glen) has some really shallow sandy areas to wade in that would be good for putting on tails as well as some stairs and a deep, pretty boil. I just googled both of them a moment ago and they look pretty similar actually...so either one of those would be nice since that area is pretty centrally located. But I'm really up for anything

In summary, how does the 14th or 15th and the 21st and 22nd sound for everyone? Any questions, comments, joys or sorrows as of now?
    I have a conflict with only the 21st, but as long as I know ahead of time I can get out of my previous commitment for that day if that works best for everyone else.

Silver Glen seems really nice, and as far as I know, I have no conflicts with any of those dates. I think that as far as sand vs. stairs goes we would probably be better on sand, though never having had experience putting on a tail I can't be sure.

Drowning, as much as I'd love to learn how to scuba, the website says that's not allowed in the spring (though I've seen pictures of people who were supposedly there doing it).
    ~Daughter of the Ocean, Princess of the Waves~
    Not really active, but always mermaidy
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/FloridaMerfolk/