Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: MONOFINS, THE OFFICIAL THREAD

The Lunocet can even fit in your purse! I can fit 4 easily into a standard carry-on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I can confirm that. You will need two Allen keys to re-assemble it, and attach the cycling shoes. Also, no one makes tails to fit the Lunocet. I made my own. I made them close-ended, and found the only way to get the skin over the Lunocet was to assemble it inside the skin. Open ended with zippers or snaps would be more convenient. Open ended without anything to close the rear would ruin the hydrodynamics. Good hydrodynamics is another reason to get a Lunocet, it is VERY fast.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateSwimFin.com View Post
    The Lunocet can even fit in your purse! I can fit 4 easily into a standard carry-on.
    That's neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    I can confirm that. You will need two Allen keys to re-assemble it, and attach the cycling shoes. Also, no one makes tails to fit the Lunocet. I made my own. I made them close-ended, and found the only way to get the skin over the Lunocet was to assemble it inside the skin. Open ended with zippers or snaps would be more convenient. Open ended without anything to close the rear would ruin the hydrodynamics. Good hydrodynamics is another reason to get a Lunocet, it is VERY fast.
    While that is interesting, i'm looking for a more affordable monofin that can fit in a standard carry on.

Anyone ever make cuts to your monofin? Does it affect it's integrity? I've got a leaderfins monofin and I can't do super quick turns and id like to be able to with it- was hoping if cutting it more towards a mermaid fluke shape would help♡ tia!

Quote Originally Posted by MissLunaBelle View Post
    Anyone ever make cuts to your monofin? Does it affect it's integrity? I've got a leaderfins monofin and I can't do super quick turns and id like to be able to with it- was hoping if cutting it more towards a mermaid fluke shape would help♡ tia!
    You can probably find videos on YouTube of folks who have cut theirs! I cut my competitor, but I only do mer events once or twice a year, so I haven't been able to test it. I also need to make a tailskin!

Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

was hoping if cutting it more towards a mermaid fluke shape would help
    Cutting it isn't going to help. It will only weaken the monofin and make it less effective to swim in. That of course makes it easier to swim in in general since you aren't moving as much water with each kick, but maneuverability wise it's not going to make a difference. The width is the issue during turns and such, and unless the the fin has more give you can't solve the issue.

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

I wanna get the finis shooter but idk what size. I’m a 9.5 in women’s in the USA. I’ve heard finis sizing is different from what it actually is. Any recommendations?

Does anyone own the fantasea monofins from mertailor? If so, how does it swim, is it really as comfortable as I have heard?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Hi Mer's Im not sure if im in the right thread for this question but i know im on the right place to find out anything to do with mermaiding and mono fins Im asking for someone in Vietman who wants to know if the FINIS Luna fin size M would fit him, I dont believe it will, but want to make sure I give him correct answer. He is a size 43 mens shoe foot length 26.7cm and Wideth 10.6cm what would this size be in US men's and would the Luna M fit him?

there is a size chart on the website, which says 36-42 so it may be too small. I have a Mermaid Kat Hydra, which is 39-43 and it fits exactly (43; so I guess there is usually not much room left) so I would recommend to buy at least a fin in his size 43.

Thank you so much I shall pass this information onto him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know which companies make tails that fit the mahina monofin? I know swimtails does but they’re closing

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

According to the Monofin and Compatible Tail-Skins guide ( https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...ble-tail-skins ), Magictail Pro and Mermaid, Inc. tails will fit.

Though it's not made for it, you can also fit the Mahina in FinFolk's neoprene tails. There are several videos on YouTube demonstrating fitting a Mahina into one of their epic fabric tails.

Junior Member Euro Pod HaleyTremont's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leilari View Post
    Just wondering, but has anyone tried making a mould of a fin and then melting down polypropyline pellets to create their own monofin? Are there any key dangerous elements that I seem to be missing that would pose as a reason to not do so?
    This message is from 2015 but still with no answer. I have no idea what is polypropyline but I have the same question, does someone already try to make a silicone / latex or whatever monofin ? Like a Mertailor or Luna ? If we want to try, is it with dragon skin or a special stiffer silicone ?

Polypropylene is a heat form-able plastic that many plastic items are made from, including Fin Fun's fin. Normally the pellets are heated, then pushed into a very strong steel mold under high pressure.

You can buy pre-made sheets of polypropylene. I have made several monofins by bolting swim fin pockets to such sheets.

Mertailor uses stiffer material than DragonSkin 10 for their monofins as it is durometer 30A, so maybe DragonSkin 30?

You need both an inner mold, the shape of a foot, and the outer mold. Have fun!

Let the storm rage on!

Junior Member Euro Pod HaleyTremont's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Mertailor uses stiffer material than DragonSkin 10 for their monofins as it is durometer 30A, so maybe DragonSkin 30?
    Is there stiffer silicone than 30 ? Something between Fantasea and Luna ? I love floppy fluke but Fantasea is really too floppy for me xD

And thanks for the help for the mold part ^^

Smooth-on makes higher durometer silicone. But the ones I have seen are for mold making. I have no idea how well they will work for parts that have to see alot of use and flexing. Maybe you should contact them directly.

Let the storm rage on!

I found this article has good details about what features to choose in a mermaid monofin and what to look for. It also covers some of the more popular brands in detail including size, weight, buoyancy, rigidity, different foot pockets, materials, etc which I think is really helpful! You can read about this mermaid monofin guide here. Hope it helps someone out!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by breezy588 View Post
    I found this article has good details about what features to choose in a mermaid monofin and what to look for. It also covers some of the more popular brands in detail including size, weight, buoyancy, rigidity, different foot pockets, materials, etc which I think is really helpful! You can read about this mermaid monofin guide here. Hope it helps someone out!
    I wouldn't trust Aquamermaid for reliable information. She is just too biased about other brands, all the while saying her brand is the best. Its not. Its a cheap knock off of a Finis monofin, that's made in China. And, she did not design it as claimed, she just bought loads of it off alibaba and put her label on it.
    Formerly known as ireneho