Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 301 to 318 of 318

Thread: MONOFINS, THE OFFICIAL THREAD

  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I wouldn't trust Aquamermaid for reliable information. She is just too biased about other brands, all the while saying her brand is the best. Its not. Its a cheap knock off of a Finis monofin, that's made in China. And, she did not design it as claimed, she just bought loads of it off alibaba and put her label on it.
    wow I thought this was supposed to be a non judgemental place to share mermaid information not to cut down other mermaids and mermaid companies? The article I shared doesn't say anything about AquaMermaid fins being the best. It's just listed as one of the top 10, which it probably is because it's even in the 10 top Google search results. There are lots of other options if you don't personally want an AquaMermaid monofin. All monofins have their pros and cons which this article nicely outlines

  2. #302
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,767
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by breezy588 View Post
    wow I thought this was supposed to be a non judgemental place to share mermaid information not to cut down other mermaids and mermaid companies? The article I shared doesn't say anything about AquaMermaid fins being the best. It's just listed as one of the top 10, which it probably is because it's even in the 10 top Google search results. There are lots of other options if you don't personally want an AquaMermaid monofin. All monofins have their pros and cons which this article nicely outlines
    I'm not judging, just stating facts. If you've watched her video on this, you'll see how biased she really is about all other monofins.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  3. #303
    Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I'm not judging, just stating facts. If you've watched her video on this, you'll see how biased she really is about all other monofins.
    I agree with Jaffa.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

    Survivor of cyberbullies

  4. #304
    Has anyone ever had issues with a shooter damaging their silicone tail? I'm going to get a silicone tail soon and was thinking of getting the shooter in it seeing as i have a hard time swimming with monofins that don't have much propulsion , but the tail maker said that the shooter tends to damage tails and that he'd rather use his own silicone monofin insteas. but with that i'm afraid that it won't give me the propulsion i need

  5. #305
    Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by danger369 View Post
    Has anyone ever had issues with a shooter damaging their silicone tail? I'm going to get a silicone tail soon and was thinking of getting the shooter in it seeing as i have a hard time swimming with monofins that don't have much propulsion , but the tail maker said that the shooter tends to damage tails and that he'd rather use his own silicone monofin insteas. but with that i'm afraid that it won't give me the propulsion i need
    I put a shooter in my tail and I have lightly used it for two summers now without any damage. From my understanding, monofins cause damage when they have been cut to fit a tail as they have uneven edges or are weakened and break off into sharp edges.


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

  6. #306
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,767
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I once tried out another mermaid's shooter monofin... I sliced my finger on the sharp edge.

    Does it have to be a shooter, or can it be another brand of fibre glass monofin that have rubber edges?
    Formerly known as ireneho

  7. #307
    Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I once tried out another mermaid's shooter monofin... I sliced my finger on the sharp edge.

    Does it have to be a shooter, or can it be another brand of fibre glass monofin that have rubber edges?
    I was referring to "pointy" sharp pieces. Like where it has been cut and not round off or where it has broken off from being cut.

    I've never had in issue with the edges themeselves being sharp and having a paper cut type of effect.

    I guess I should also point out that I made a powermesh pocket to put my shooter in before I encased it in my tail. That may have an effect on 'reducing' tail damage, but aslo, I haven't really heard about the shooter causing damage.


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

  8. #308
    It doesn't really have to be the shooter but i don't really have any experience with wich ones are good and wich ones aren't

  9. #309
    Junior Member 00phantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by danger369 View Post
    It doesn't really have to be the shooter but i don't really have any experience with wich ones are good and wich ones aren't
    Then talk with your tail maker. Let them know your concerns with propulsion and they can either reassure you that their silicone fins will perform for you or they can suggest a Monofin that they are comfortable with using and that will work for you.

  10. #310
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,767
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by danger369 View Post
    It doesn't really have to be the shooter but i don't really have any experience with wich ones are good and wich ones aren't
    I was thinking of the Waterway monofins. Those ones have a rubber or some kind of edging around the fin, protecting you from its sharp edges.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by 00phantom View Post
    Then talk with your tail maker. Let them know your concerns with propulsion and they can either reassure you that their silicone fins will perform for you or they can suggest a Monofin that they are comfortable with using and that will work for you.
    i already did that before and he said that he prefered using his silicone monofin since he felt like the shooter damaged the silicone too easily, and he didn't really have any other suggestions aside from the hydra wich i don't really enjoy using

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I was thinking of the Waterway monofins. Those ones have a rubber or some kind of edging around the fin, protecting you from its sharp edges.
    Will look into those then and see if he finds those okay ^^

  13. #313
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,767
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    My favourite monofin, the Finis Foil, its straps have gone hard and are not stretchy. The blade is still good after all these years. I bought it in 2014 and take care of it after swim. With my birthday coming along mid January, I bought myself a new mermaid paddle!

    Its a POwerfins. Yes, that's how its spelt. I got it in gold color. I don't know about the stiffness rating. I just wanted another one like the Foil but not the Foil, to do zoomies in!
    https://powerfins.fr/en/product/mono...re-durete-hard
    Formerly known as ireneho

  14. #314
    Jaffa — I'm still using a Finis Foil and loving it. If only Finis made the Foil in colors other than yellow, wouldn't that be grand? I always wear mine with low-cut white socks on my feet to prevent chafing. Typical workout is 2700 yards —> kickboard (streamline and resistance grips); sidestroke streamlining; and backstroke streamlining (streamline arms and knee-side arms). After you have had a chance to get used to your new POwerfin, tell us how it compares to the Foil. I have never seen one before, and it looks very interesting.

  15. #315
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,767
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by suzanne86 View Post
    Jaffa — I'm still using a Finis Foil and loving it. If only Finis made the Foil in colors other than yellow, wouldn't that be grand? I always wear mine with low-cut white socks on my feet to prevent chafing. Typical workout is 2700 yards —> kickboard (streamline and resistance grips); sidestroke streamlining; and backstroke streamlining (streamline arms and knee-side arms). After you have had a chance to get used to your new POwerfin, tell us how it compares to the Foil. I have never seen one before, and it looks very interesting.
    Sure thing.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 01-08-2021 at 05:41 PM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  16. #316
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,767
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Its here!!!
    I did a quick show and tell video on my new POwerfins monofin. I'll do a proper review once I've swum in it at a later date.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fa5F2wVetU
    Formerly known as ireneho

  17. #317

    Neoprene Socks?

    Hello, mermaids! I'm looking to buy some neoprene socks to use with a monofin. I'm seeing a lot of neoprene socks on Amazon that have grippers on the bottom. Or neoprene socks that are structured more like booties than a sock.

    My guesses are:
    1.) Seems best to get socks with no grippers? (Seems like the grips would make it too hard to get the monofin on?)
    2.) Seems like sock structure would be better, not boot structure? (This is my guess based on the way ankles are usually positioned while mermaid-swimming.)

    Can anyone please help me answer these questions / determine how to choose neoprene socks?

    Thank you so much in advance!!

  18. #318
    hi! I got neoprene socks, sock shape and no grip. I really love them.
    they are a little slippery when walking by the pool, but are quite handy and sturdy when walking by the ocean or on sand/stone.
    I have no problem gettin my monofin on. and they are just as easy to get off when i need to.
    It keeps me from getting blisters too!
    I use the "classic monofin" from Magictail.
    hope that helps.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •