Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MONOFINS, THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Livou View Post
    Hey, does anyone know, Finis doesnt sell fiberglass monofins anymore? Im checking their website since months and its not listed; just out of curiosity
    I think the competitor is fiberglass?

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Livou's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Livou on Facebook Add Mermaid Livou on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Livou's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Nelly View Post
    I think the competitor is fiberglass?
    Yep I saw their competitor when I was looking for a monofin earlier, but now its not on their website. mmm

There are no shortage of fiberglass monofins available (waterways, Starfins, etc.) that are way better than anything that Finis makes.

Having said that... I think FG blades and uncomfortable footpockets are a thing of the past...

But then again... I'm biased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateSwimFin.com View Post
    There are no shortage of fiberglass monofins available (waterways, Starfins, etc.) that are way better than anything that Finis makes.

Having said that... I think FG blades and uncomfortable footpockets are a thing of the past...

But then again... I'm biased!

HHH ok, i was just curious :P

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Huh, its not showing available for me either I even google searched and clicked the link and it says the page is not found... I hope they haven't discontinued it (or, if they have, that they will at least release a new (maybe improved?) one). Fiberglass is really the way to go for the best fins for mermaiding
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Finally got it to work when going through the products on the finis website! Its weird though, only some of the competitor listings work. The XXL and L work fine, but the S and XL say 'Item unavailable' for the description and the product images say 'image not found'. Also, the M says it is out of stock. Maybe Finis is dealing with a website glitch/malfunction?
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

they sent me the exact same link to try as what I opened before: my search doesnt shows, theirs does
    heh just stupid infotechnik glitch, so, they still do have fiberglass monos (y)

Aren't the blades of the Finis Shooter, Trainer, and Competitor still made of fiberglass?

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne86 View Post
    Aren't the blades of the Finis Shooter, Trainer, and Competitor still made of fiberglass?
    yep they are-they are, I just was not able to see them somehow

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Nelly View Post
    I've recently been through this struggle. I FINALLY decided on a Mahina merfin (I plan to wear neoprene socks). One monofin that I was looking at for a long time was Magictail.de, I don't know if you stumbled across them (you didn't mention that brand in your post) but they seem to maybe be what you're looking for. I've never tried one, but from what I understand, they're a lot like a finfun except SLIGHTLY larger, and a lot stronger. I've seen videos of people swimming in the ocean!
    thank you

Mermaid Jaffa - thank you. i was able to try the sprassub mono fin. it was great for the price. much easier on the body and stronger easier propulsion. I'm worried about the foot pocket thickness but I'm going to try it. i have not tried any other mono fins. i like the merfin for its shape and fluidity on film.

Just adding in a bit about the Mahina merfin and ocean swimming - I guess it might vary between individuals and settings. I've taken my merfin out ocean swimming a few times - mostly in calmer bays, but also in low swell and mild current - and I've not had any problems with it at all. Plenty of propulsion when needed. I also find they're fine with fabric tail covers, even in the ocean.
    I've done a solid 6-7 hours in a fabric-covered merfin off Rottnest Island (broken into three shorter chunks, over about a 9 hour day), wearing neoprene socks, and never felt uncomfortable in it Kudos to Mahina!

Question for all of you, has anyone purchased a Special Fins Monofin? If so what did you think? I was asking about them on a free diving group and I was told that the coloured fibre glass they use is really crappy quality and I should go for something else. I'm hoping that maybe they are using better quality fiberglass now?

If Special Fins are a no go, does anyone have any good recommendations for a cheap fiberglass monofin? The reason I want a fibreglass monofin is so I can go swimming in the ocean and have lots of propulsion. I don't want to spend $500+ on a monofin, looking more at the $150-$200 range.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

For that price, get a basic waterways model 2 and be prepared for massive foot pain, cramping and discomfort.

For that price, get a basic waterways model 2 and be prepared for massive foot pain, cramping and discomfort.

So, you're suggesting I should just pay more? What monofin would you recommend for my needs (very occasional beach swim) that is still comfortable?

A waterways nemo is much more comfortable and a bit more $.

The Lunocet that I sell is the next most further comfortable, but more expensive still.

A waterways nemo is much more comfortable and a bit more $.

The Lunocet that I sell is the next most further comfortable, but more expensive still.

OK here's a question for you - what makes some monofins more comfortable than others, and is it something you can tell from looking at photos of it or do you really just need to try it out? I realize that the foot pockets would have a lot to do with it, in that if they were too narrow for your feet or the foot strap was too tight/cutting in or the band not thick enough, but besides that is there any other factors you know of I should be looking for? Surely it would be different depending on the person's shoe size and shape.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    The merfins can be used in the ocean. I've used mine in Sydney Harbour, it has good propulsion. Be prepared for squeaks! When I used mine in the little netted beach, all I heard underwater was the Mahina Merfin squeaking because I forgot to bring socks!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    The merfins can be used in the ocean. I've used mine in Sydney Harbour, it has good propulsion. Be prepared for squeaks! When I used mine in the little netted beach, all I heard underwater was the Mahina Merfin squeaking because I forgot to bring socks!
    Thanks Jaffa, though I'm specifically after a fibre glass monofin as I find the merfins a bit too heavy and too floppy. I'm sure a fibre glass fin would have much more propulsion.