Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: MONOFINS, THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    My fibre glass fin gives no more propulsion than, for example, the Rapid or any kind of bi-fins I used with dolphinkick.

Granted, I remember trying one competitor which seemed to me at least 3 times faster than any other fin I have, but that was a long time ago and there is no way to verify this with a timed test now.

It probably also depends on the swimming style, but for me personally, I find swimming with not so stiff fins much more comfortable- and not slower in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    OK here's a question for you - what makes some monofins more comfortable than others, and is it something you can tell from looking at photos of it or do you really just need to try it out? I realize that the foot pockets would have a lot to do with it, in that if they were too narrow for your feet or the foot strap was too tight/cutting in or the band not thick enough, but besides that is there any other factors you know of I should be looking for? Surely it would be different depending on the person's shoe size and shape.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    It's generally the TYPE of footpocket that determines comfort.

You can always go for a slightly larger size on the typical FG fin footpockets and get less foot pain / cramping... But you will get worse power-transfer and you'll need to wear the right sized neoprene sock so that your feet don't rub and cause blisters.

I like a tight fitting fin for power transfer and can't last :20 mins in a Model 2.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateSwimFin.com View Post
    It's generally the TYPE of footpocket that determines comfort.

You can always go for a slightly larger size on the typical FG fin footpockets and get less foot pain / cramping... But you will get worse power-transfer and you'll need to wear the right sized neoprene sock so that your feet don't rub and cause blisters.

I like a tight fitting fin for power transfer and can't last :20 mins in a Model 2.
    So is a full footed foot pocket better, or is it just more comfortable? What type of foot pocket do you recommend?

Member formerly known as leomar

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I can answer that, as I have a Lunocet. Its comfortable because the "foot pockets" are actual shoes. You know, with a left and a right, and made in the shape of a foot. You go to a local store and buy ones that fit your feet, and you find to be comfortable. You get bicycle shoes (the type that bolt to cleats that lock into bicycle pedals), and bolt them to the Lunocet.
    Name:  DSCN0031.JPG
Views: 2839
Size:  517.6 KB
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Have you tried the Finis ones? - the Trainer or the Shooter? I think they're in your price range, and fibreglass (unless I'm mistaken)

Quote Originally Posted by Obelia View Post
    Have you tried the Finis ones? - the Trainer or the Shooter? I think they're in your price range, and fibreglass (unless I'm mistaken)
    Hmm while the shooter looks good and is in my price range I don't want a stiff monofin. The trainer is an ugly shape in my opinion and the Lunocent I also don't like. I guess I'm fussy

Member formerly known as leomar

Help! I was just trying on the base of the new fabric tail that I'm making and when I was putting my monofin in, I saw that there was a crack in it! it's a small crack, around 5 or 6 centimeters. It's a horizontal crack, in the middle of my monofin, towards the end (where the most pressure is during swimming). I haven't been in contact with walls, floors or anything else that could cause a break. I did not step on it, didn't smash into something. I just don't know how it happened I haven't used it since Januari 31th of this year! After that i wasn't allowed to swim, due to a surgery on my ear. But the crack wasn't there yesterday, when we made the pattern for my new mermaid tail

It's the Flyer Carbon Monofin from Leaderfins, I have it less then a year now . I've already send an email to Leaderfins for advise, but hopefully I'll get some tips here as well. I need my monofin this Sunday! I put a layer of E6000 glue on both sides of the monofin, where the crack is and tried to rub it into the crack as much as possible (if even possible with a crack of hardly 0,5 mm in width, but still). I let that sit for a few minutes and then I added another layer of E6000, covering the crack and some area around the crack.

I'm going to let that dry an entire day and then I'll add Ducttape. Hopefully that will be enough for this Sunday. But I'm pretty sure it won't be enough to fix it 100%.

So, any tips? I read about drilling holes? why? where?
    Last edited by Mermaid Abigail; 06-08-2016 at 03:26 PM.
    ...<3 <3...
    *~~ I´d love for you to follow me on Facebook ,
    Youtube or Instagram! ~~*

Drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading.

If leaderfins gets back to you, I suspect they'll say to cut the entire strip off of the blade all the way across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've has some back and forth mailing with Leaderfins. First they kept me on the line for a bit and told me that the warranty did not apply here because that only applies to factory errors or delivery damage. (right).

I told them that several professional Freedivers had taken a look at the monovin and they all told me that the place and shape of the crack were indicating that this wás in fact an error in the monofin itself and not a result of rough handling or impact. The monofin simply seemed to have a very weak spot.

They then suggested to send me stuff to repair the monofin with. I kept on saying that I was really dissapointed that they would not help me some more with this, seeing how the monofin has been hardly used and been taken really good care of.

They finally offered to repair it if I would send it back to them. They told me later on that we could arrange to have it shipped back for €25 (otherwise it would have cost me €106).

Now I'm just waiting for an answer on the repair and return of the monofin, if those are free of charge as well.

If so, then I'm a happy customer once again and then I'll send the monofin to them for repairs. To be continued
    ...<3 <3...
    *~~ I´d love for you to follow me on Facebook ,
    Youtube or Instagram! ~~*

What do you guys think of those? Name:  Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.25.57.png
Views: 2674
Size:  275.0 KB
    Claudia of the Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudiaofthesea View Post
    I have a FinFun monofin and I love it. It was a great first fin for me. I still use it when the swimming hole I'm at is very crowded and it's not as big as my Mahina Merfin. I still love the fin and so do all my friends that have borrowed it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    "Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." ~Sophia Loren

Sessilee means "Blind to Self Beauty"

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MermaidSessilee
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/SessileeStrfish

Formerly known as MermaidAmbrGlow

I have a Fin Fun monofin and 3 Fin Fun tail skins now, as a beginner monofin it's great! My favorite aspect of it is the shape. It is instantly recognizable as a Mermaid tail shape so I always get looks of amazement and surprise from kids and adults alike when I take it to my local pool (especially when I'm putting it on for some reason!) It's extremely light and therefore easily portable, the plastic insert is also incredibly durable and strong even with rough handling. I also like that the design of the Fin Fun tails means the monofin is very easy to remove and interchange tail skins as well as wash/dry out the monofin cover. The neoprene cover in my tail has worn quite a bit in just a few months (some holes and runs starting to develop in the neoprene as the insert presses into it, plus the foot pocket fabric has deteriorated from overstretching) but it might be because I am pretty rough with my tail since I haven't yet found anyone else who has had this problem.

In terms of power in the water it is definitely low powered compared to a larger monofin, but in a way this good training for beginners since if you are not doing the Dolphin kick quite correctly you will not find you get much propulsion, so swimming with it is a good way to ensure correct technique, where other larger monofins you could maybe get a way with more. It is slightly frustrating that your feet are not secured to the the monofin insert in any way other than through the tension of the neoprene cover, this does mean that you don't quite get maximum power transfer to the fin as your feet can slip around and loose contact with it slightly as you do your stroke, especially if you just swim with the monofin and not the tail. I found that generally this is fixed when I wear my tail over the top of the monofin, which seems to give added tension and keep the feet in place. I also found that when I added a rigid fabric repairer patch to the back of the monofin this helped prevent the feet from slipping also, I think because the neoprene was being stretched too much and the patch I added keeps it from stretching.

My first fin was one of these :3. I love how moves and the shape. Also, it allows me to let all my friends try it (and many have) because there is not standard- size foot pocket.
    There is not much power from this fin I have found because of how soft it is and that on the downstroke your feet can lift away from the insert. However, the lift can be easily fixed by sewing a stiff strap on over the arch area of the foot. Also, their new inserts are stronger so they provide more power and last longer. (They don't even sell the old ones anymore so don't worry about it)
    Over all I would say its is a GREAT starter fin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I found it too flexible for me. I ended up making my own insert. I used polycarbonate, as it is stiffer. Also, with the stiffer fin I found that if I bent the Lexan 30 degrees downward right at the toes, the fin works better for me. To keep my feet from sliding about, I added an extra neoprene strap.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Thank you for your help guys but I think I am going to go with a Black Mahina Merfin , they look fab!!!!

Question: I am a UK size 6 would you take the Small or Large?
    Claudia of the Sea.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod Hinalea's Avatar
    Does anyone have a Finis Rapid Monofin for sale? The new ones are sooo stiff. I'm looking for an older one if anyone has any to sell?

Thank you for your help guys but I think I am going to go with a Black Mahina Merfin , they look fab!!!!

Question: I am a UK size 6 would you take the Small or Large?
    i am a size usa 7 and i took the adult small with 2mm argo neoprene booties. I had tried to take the Kids Largest size because i like the small fin and less weight. however it was too tight and gave me blisters even with thin 1mm socks on. the smaller size was easier on my knees too. I do not get blisters with the adult small and the booties. my feet still do get crampy though. i have to keep my feet as relaxed as possible. Is there an adult medium size? I would recommend getting booties with the fin as it makes it easier to get on and off and prevents blisters. if you are in between sizes, i recommend going up a size with a bootie.

Is the Trainer monofin a stiff blade? does it bend more like a foil or a wave? how does it compare to a competitor? thank you.

I received it!!!!! I am so happy with my Mahina Merfin!!!! Just slightly bend on the edge on the corner of the fin but I am sure if I lay it flat in the sun with a book on it it will it will straight it up it's perfect!!! I am taking it next Friday in south of France to swin in a pool, in the sea and in a river the ultimate test! It was easy to put on , I covered my feet with lub and slipped in it like a banana in a suitcase (aka without any efforts ) I LOVE IT!

Name:  Photo on 22-07-2016 at 17.26 #4.jpg
Views: 2476
Size:  120.3 KB Name:  13844121_10154392008457431_980761872_o.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  104.3 KB
    Last edited by MermaidClaudy; 07-22-2016 at 01:20 PM.
    Claudia of the Sea.

Mermaid Lisa asked: "Is the Trainer monofin a stiff blade? does it bend more like a foil or a wave? how does it compare to a competitor? thank you."

The Trainer monofin has a relatively thick and rigid blade. It does not bend or flex like a Foil. Compared to the Competitor, it is heavy, stiff, and less flexible. The blade is so thick and heavy that over time it will tend to contribute to the rubber foot pocket straps breaking and snapping.