Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MONOFINS, THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Has anyone checked out the trainer fiberglass fins from the freedivinginstructor website on the page before?
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

My name is Victoria, (some of you know my YouTube name Vickylynne) I've spent over 5 years and thousands of dollars creating one of a kind, Custom Monofins-that are specifically designed for mermaids. A long time ago, I created my very first mermaid tail, and was dissatisfied with the choice of monofins that were on the market. So I decided to create my own! When I saw there was a growing trend of mermaids with similar problems, I set out to provide unique monofins unlike anything out there.

So was born my new business: Custom Monofins

-These monofins are hand crafted. It has taken me over 5 years and thousands of dollars to perfect them.
    -They will not snap under pressure. They are resistant to salt and chlorine water.
    -They retain their shape.
    -Made of a high grade plastic. Very soft, comfortable rubber boots (you choose your size). Many people have tested these monofins and have loved the softness of the boots. Compared to the rigid plastic boots of a Wave or Rapid monofin.

-Each one is custom built an hand crafted.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomMono...hopheader-name

Sirena Style Custom Monofin
    Name:  monofin.jpg
Views: 3654
Size:  160.0 KB
    Name:  monofin2.jpg
Views: 3347
Size:  182.5 KB

Classic Style Custom Monofin
    Name:  classic1.jpg
Views: 3601
Size:  192.3 KB
    Name:  il_570xN.478935727_lfts.jpg
Views: 3685
Size:  118.7 KB

Anyone who is looking to buy a monofin, here's my tip: Check e-bay first! I just got a used finis competitor monofin on e-bay for $117! I just swam in it for the first time today, and I'm impressed with it. It was very gently used and hardly shows any wear. And gosh, it's AMAZING how fast I can get from one end of the pool to the other! Though e-bay isn't necessarily always reliable, I find it good to check once in a while, because you can sure find bargains sometimes!

I have a question. I have a size 8.5-9 in womens feet depending on the brand, that's right about in between the Hydra and Minos from what I understand.....what should I order?

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    well without knowing the sizing on the fins, i would say go for the bigger one. you can wear fuzzy socks or neoprene booties to make your feet bigger and fill out the pockets, but if its too small it might really hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    well without knowing the sizing on the fins, i would say go for the bigger one. you can wear fuzzy socks or neoprene booties to make your feet bigger and fill out the pockets, but if its too small it might really hurt.
    You say "fuzzy socks," and I wonder, have you had good luck with fleece socks for filling out the space and preventing chafing? As I hail from the frozen north, I have an abundance of those, but not neoprene.

I don't use socks myself, you would have to test it

I just finished writing a rather in depth review of my first, and currently only, monofin the finis foil. Its rather long winded, but I hope it can help answer any questions other mers might have about it.
    http://forgotten-trinkets.blogspot.c...l-monofin.html

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I really love the Classic style monofin!

I just ordered socks for use with my rapid. I appear to be allergic to the foot ockets. Doh. So much fun to swim in, but about 10-15 min in, the stinging sets in.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    My hydra should be here in a few days. Can't wait to compare it to the wave I use now ^_^
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Does anyone know the length and Width of the Finis Competitor Monofin? also for mers that have them in their tails would you say that this monofin is easy to use or difficult?

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    Does anyone know the length and Width of the Finis Competitor Monofin? also for mers that have them in their tails would you say that this monofin is easy to use or difficult?
    It's 29.0 x 28.0 x 4.0 according to website listings. This monofin is more difficult to swim in than rubber or plastic ones for sure. It is very unforgiving in my experience. If your technique is off you will have to adjust to swimming with it. Also doing turns and rolls/twists in it is very hard. Flips are a bit more difficult (many find they hit their head on the fin when they try and do them). They also tend to give people cramps, even if you haven't had cramps with rubber or plastic monofins. I always tell people to stretch REALLY well before swimming in these! Taking a magnesium and/or potassium supplement and hydrating well a few hours before you swim can help a lot with that as well. But all that being said, they're very powerful! I have on in my Merbellas tail, and I love it

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Add Mermaid Zandarra on Facebook
    I am hoping someone can tell me; on the lexan what thickness is recommended for making your own monofin? I am planning to order a lexan sheet and want to know approximately the thickness I should be looking at. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Zandarra View Post
    I am hoping someone can tell me; on the lexan what thickness is recommended for making your own monofin? I am planning to order a lexan sheet and want to know approximately the thickness I should be looking at. Thanks
    It depends on how you're making your monofin. I had to replace my lexan insert in my Fin Fun monofin but the company was sold out. Being a crafty person I tried to do it myself with lexan I bought at Home Depot. It works as a temporary fix. The sheet was too small so I had to bolt a small section on the complete the heel area. The measurements on the lexan I used was 18 inches x 24 inches x 0.093 inches. It is a very thick piece and it has a lot of drag when swimming through the water but that said it is a very fast fin. I just didn't like how it stretched the neoprene sleeve.
    "Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." ~Sophia Loren

Sessilee means "Blind to Self Beauty"

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MermaidSessilee
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/SessileeStrfish

Formerly known as MermaidAmbrGlow

Senior Member Pod of Cali Usagi's Avatar
    Will a Finis Wave be enough for a silicone tail? I'm about 5'1" and somewhere under 120lbs and plan on losing a few. Idk if that matters at all lol will I just be a bit slow with the Wave? Raina had a Foil in hers, right? How does that compare with the Wave?
    Do you want this anemone to sting you?
    ......yes!

Well for the wave it's just gonna be very flowey and not good for ocean swimming but it should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Usagi's Avatar
    Well remember I told you that the ocean terrifies me and I don't swim in it, even out of tail. Haha what about lakes, though? The currents aren't as rough as the ocean. Think it would be okay?
    Do you want this anemone to sting you?
    ......yes!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    The wave is a bit more flimsy than the foil, but it's certainly swimmable. I mean people swim in tails without monofins without issue. As long as you're comfortable in the water and know the water that you're swimming in, you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by sydthefairebrat View Post
    Will a Finis Wave be enough for a silicone tail? I'm about 5'1" and somewhere under 120lbs and plan on losing a few. Idk if that matters at all lol will I just be a bit slow with the Wave? Raina had a Foil in hers, right? How does that compare with the Wave?
    The only thing is I STRONGLY advise against using the Wave or Rapid in any silicone tail. The reason is becuase the straps are very finicky and require a lot of adjusting, usually even while swimming. This is impossible to do in-tail if it's silicone, and would be difficult with the tail off becuase of the small space to maneuver things down in the ankle area. Also the strap holders/mechanisms can look very bulky in a silicone tail. The foil and competitor are great becuase it's just a solid foot pocket (with the straps connected to the foot pockets with no straps or adjustment mechanisms) making it very secure, and very sleek looking on the outside. So those points are something to consider!

Also Raina currently has a finis competitor in her tail, but I believe her new tail she'll be getting in a few weeks has a foil

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr