Thread: My Year-Overdo Tail Review(Copied From My Personal FB)

Talking My Year-Overdo Tail Review(Copied From My Personal FB)

With all this talk of tailmakers and such, I thought the time was right to share my long-overdo comprehensive review of my tail, which I actually wrote a year ago on my personal Facebook page.

Overview:

I gotta say, I am absolutely thrilled with my purchase of a Fin Fun Mermaid Tail! They say when something seems too good to be true, it usually is, but it this case it was actually better than I expected. If anyone else has made a more realistic-looking costume mertail with a reasonable double-digit price tag, I'll eat my hat.
    Handmade out of a high-quality 85% polyester/15% Spandex fabric in a silver and purple scale-like pattern that appears to magically change colors in the light and perfectly custom-fitted to my exact measurements, my tail is open at the bottom of the beautifully shaped fluke so I can walk on dry land if necessary. It does not come with a monofin and it is not really intended to be used with one, but that is alright by me as I'm certainly no Michael Phelps and intend to use it primarily for recreational cosplaying while dry.
    I swear to Poseidon, Karen must be the hardest-working and kindest tailmaker in the business as it arrived LESS THAN A WEEK after I ordered it on eBay, and she spent several months searching for the perfect fabric for me after my first attempt to order a tail from her fell through as she ran out of the fabric option I chose.
    If you're looking for a beautifully made costume mertail at a price that won't break the bank, Fin Fun Mermaid Tails are for you!

Pros:
    *Relatively inexpensive
    *Free shipping

*Perfect fit
    *Arrived less than a week after I ordered it
    *Just about as beautiful and realistic-looking as a low-end fabric tail can be
    *Surprisingly comfortable to wear
    *Can be pulled up into a skirt for easy walking on dry land
    *Perfect for dry cosplaying

Cons:NONE for me personally, but if having the most hydrodynamic tail possible is important to you, Fin Fun may not be your best choice as they do not come with monofins.
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W

I am really glad to see a mer who is so in love with her tail. Even though i have heard that people have been bashing it and your ways of mermaiding, i think it is perfect for you and i love how you put an exotic meditational twist to the mermaid world.

OMG Kalani thanks so much for the feedback! *Hugs* I love you guys! Most of the bashing, for the record, did NOT come from anyone here currently. When one is insecure, like I was, they tend to dwell on the negative and ignore and down play the positive. It mainly came from a handful of folks who don't post here any more, some of whom I have never really seen eye to eye with. Most of the mers here accept and respect me, and feel frustrated that it is so hard for me sometimes to accept MYSELF.

Raina asked if I'd rather have a more realistic tail I could walk in. Well, the thing is there doesn't seem to be such a thing. Two very respected tailmakers said they couldn't easily make a tail that is both realistic and walkable, it's practically an oxymoron haha. There have been threads here giving some really interesting ideas, but I think something about me that stands in my way is I am VERY craft-phobic. I do not like to paint or glue or such, and yes I guess I stand in my own way there as I'm just so craft-phobic as I don't want to even attempt crafts on my own. I honestly do love my tail, as you can see from my belated review, but I wouldn't mind sprucing it up a bit. The tail body is great as is, as the holographic fabric is beautiful, sparkly, and looks more scale-like than most other fabric patterns other than those like MagicTail that are made to be scaly but the fluke is a big pain to situate in pics and is made from the same fabric as the rest of the body, and I like the vein pattern thingy on tails like MagicTails, LO's, Taylor's, Hannah's, etc.. I'm a BIG fan of painted fabric and neoprene tails, such as Hannah's, Citrine's, Taylor's, LittleOrca's, etc., as I feel they're some of the most original and artistic tails around. I like realism, but I also love creativity and artistry in mermaid tails. If my fluke was more realistic(easier to situate/stiffer and had a sort of vein pattern painted), it would be pretty close to my dream tail. Am I the only craft-phobe here?
    Last edited by Princess Kae-Leah; 08-25-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Follow me on Facebook!

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania happyguava's Avatar
    Great read, KL, thanks for posting! I've not heard much about their tails but it sounds like it suits you perfectly and I'm really glad you love it so much!

I would probably be considered mildly craft-phobic as well... I don't hate doing craft but I'm terrible at it which puts me off trying a lot of the time. I like doing things like knitting and stitching, but give me glue and shells and things that would be useful to me as a mermaid and I don't really know what to do with them!

Just wanted to say, Princess Kae-Leah: I'm glad you posted a review of your tail, as it seems to be great for you. I've always loved the fabric it was made of - so pretty! I did want to say, though, that making a walkable tail that is still realistic doesn't seem impossible to do, in my opinion. If it were made a little looser, like a skirt, or even as a pair of pants with one side of the fin on each leg, but still made of neoprene and scaled with latex/etc or even painted, it could work. It just takes a little more creative tailoring.

Updating that I now own a FF monofin(it might be an older model though) as well, and I gotta say it's perfect for me and my lifestyle, as it's very lightweight, so it's perfect for holding the shape for pictures and helping me kick my tail in shallow water like kiddie pools. However with all that said, I would not suggest this kind of mono for someone who plans on doing a lot of swimming, especially in the ocean, as it's really designed more for children playing around in pools then for serious swimming. It basically feels like a piece of plastic lining a neoprene-y fabric
    Sometimes small changes can make a world of difference and just adding the mono made me love my tail all the more, as it made the fluke look and feel more realistic
    Follow me on Facebook!