Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLuna1234 View Post
    Your actually really young just like my friend and I

Sent from my LGL56VL using MerNetwork mobile app
    I'm turning 21 soon but I've been swimming competitively for the last 13 years (and counting). More recently, I've been racing other girls in swimming at the national level for the last 6 years. I'm already qualified to go to nationals again for my 7th year. I've been swimming year-round for a very long time and have even won a bunch of National Championship races. But even I held off on trick training in my monofin for a couple of months. Tricks are hard to pull off. I waited because I wanted to be confident in the movement of my monofin. It's significantly different from normally kicking with your legs together.

I know I've spoken to you on another thread about what my friends and I have seen at the pool when inexperienced people try on mermaid tails. Please don't attempt anything in a monofin if you can't even do it out of a monofin. They can cause a lot of drag in the pool if you use it improperly. Especially if you're trying to do tricks in them. 98% of that video was me working my abs so I could whip that tail around fast enough to look natural. And even rewatching it now, I see so much technique that I still need to work on.

Please, please, please, please, please be careful when you train. Train without a monofin before you add one. My friend was lifeguarding when she had to dive in and save a girl because she tried doing a flip in her mermaid tail but got all turned around in the water and couldn't find the surface. I know it sounds ridiculous that someone couldn't do a flip but you'd be surprised how many young adults I've had to teach a flip turn to when I'm coaching. Some people aren't just oriented enough to do one in the water. Please don't do anything fancy until you can do it without a fin.
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TybeeMermaid View Post
    Please, please, please, please, please be careful when you train. Train without a monofin before you add one. My friend was lifeguarding when she had to dive in and save a girl because she tried doing a flip in her mermaid tail but got all turned around in the water and couldn't find the surface. I know it sounds ridiculous that someone couldn't do a flip but you'd be surprised how many young adults I've had to teach a flip turn to when I'm coaching. Some people aren't just oriented enough to do one in the water. Please don't do anything fancy until you can do it without a fin.
    I second this. Unfortunately, its all too easy to get lost in the water, and people drown because of it. Its happened to me a couple times, and I was lucky to be able to find the surface in time.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I incorporated another "trick" into my program lately- underwater dolphin feet-first.
    It looks very neat in an underwater dance routine, like this one:

0:30, she does the first reverse dolphin.

Note it's not the same as the "dolphin" and "feet first dolphin" synchro figure, which is a big underwater circle achieved solely by sculling.
    I'm not sure if there's an official word for this technique. I call it reverse dolphinkick, but people often think that's just doing a handstand or something xD
    Last edited by Echidna; 03-26-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Man, I really hope I can get the bubble ring trick down, but I can't even whistle so I'm not confident that I'll ever be able to do it. But I can do a few twists underwater, and I'm getting better at swimming backwards underwater. (without bringing myself to the surface) I'll keep practicing those (see how many twists I can do!) and keep working on bubble rings and bubble hearts. I'm gonna try some the bubble trick advice next time I'm at the pool.

Thanks for sharing that video Echidna! That is beautiful and definitely inspires me to work on looking more graceful underwater.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I incorporated another "trick" into my program lately- underwater dolphin feet-first.
    It looks very neat in an underwater dance routine, like this one:

0:30, she does the first reverse dolphin.

Note it's not the same as the "dolphin" and "feet first dolphin" synchro figure, which is a big underwater circle achieved solely by sculling.
    I'm not sure if there's an official word for this technique. I call it reverse dolphinkick, but people often think that's just doing a handstand or something xD
    Wow! Amazing!

Does it start feet first? Or do you still work it from your core?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    It starts from the hips, I think. It's really hard to do and even harder to describe!
    In theory, it's the exact same as normal, just the other way around. I find it very hard though.

You can cheat a bit by making the curve wider and using back and hips to make the movement a bit more distinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    It starts from the hips, I think. It's really hard to do and even harder to describe!
    In theory, it's the exact same as normal, just the other way around. I find it very hard though.

You can cheat a bit by making the curve wider and using back and hips to make the movement a bit more distinct.
    Hmm... So it starts bum up chest down?

I'll try with my finis foil, its the only way I'll get propulsion!

6yrs later... I finally did some tricks!

And yes, that is a dorsal fin on my back. I made the swimsuit to match my tail. Some clips from my last meet up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WFluOcGjzI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqYwvAYFFMg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zzv2Hd_Lw

Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 01-29-2020 at 04:31 PM.

I really need to learn bubble rings but too scared of being on my back under the water lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

Junior Member Shimmer the Mermaid's Avatar
    Because mermaiding is so "flowy" I'm not sure when one trick starts and another ends, but here are a bunch of tricks all strung together for your inspiration! I'm looking forward to making tutorials for some of my tricks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLzK...AishawithanEye