Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    Here's a beluga whale who can blow heart shaped bubble rings!

Name:  2013-06-27 13_56_36-All The Gin Joints — White beluga*whales, from the Polarland Aquarium....jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  83.4 KB
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    YOU GUYS, I NEED TO LEARN TO DO THIS! *shock amazement and awe* Any ideas?

The rocks get knocked over simply by being literally pushed by moving water. When you form the rings, they are air/bubbles, but they are also forming a vortex of moving water which can be used to displace things in the environment

Quote Originally Posted by WillowAnne View Post
    I've been obsessed with the horizontal ring for the last couple of days... I FINALLY was able to make one today! You don't hear that "thump" like you do when making bubble rings the other way... I also found that it takes a lot less air (at least for me) than you think. The most important thing is that you have to be SUPER still when you do it, and keep your fists closed during the entire motion!

Hopefully this helps!

Here is another video.. He does the process of closing/placing the fists pretty slowly so you can see... and also shows you another way to position your hands.
    In both videos the men used their fists.... why? do you need them? What purpose do they serve? The only thing I can think of is the movement of you pulling your fists out and away helps get the water moving in the vortex you need once the air leaves your mouth.
    <center>~Fathom del Mar~
    http://mermaidfathom-delmar.tumblr.com
    https://www.facebook.com/FathomdelMarStudios

Artisan Crafter, Model, & Aspiring Professional Mermaid
    "Formerly known as LaSirena" </center>

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    @Fathom- When I first tried to do this, I tried a bunch of different hand positions, but using my fists produced the best results. Just using flat hands, I was occasionally successful; but the ring looked terrible.

Also; I could only find tutorial videos of people using their fists, if there is a better way to do it; I'm all ears.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Since I'm currently putting together a mermaid waterballet showgroup, I'd like to ask the community a few questions.

As mers, or mer-enthusiastic spectators, would you be disappointed if an underwater danceshow featuring mermaids would not have the common underwater "tricks"?

Currently, I'm developing a mermaid-fitting dancestyle.
    It has lots of moves, but no bubble rings/hearts and stuff that's usually done.
    It will basically be a "normal" dance performance, but done underwater with some moves at the surface
    (synchro swimming-like).

Not sure whether that could be a success, or if people who have seen other shows would be like, "meh, they're just dancing, no fancy tricks at all, I could do better"?

I went for a swim yesterday, and I was able to figure out the bubble ring in 5-10 minutes. I had a friend with me, and she also got it in the same amount of time. I am now working on the traveling bubble ring. I can get a very thin circle of tiny bubbles while using flat hands. Next time I'm going to use my fists and see if it works better. Its addicting when you (kind of) figure it out! haha
    Trying to come up with a mermaid name, any tips?

Does anyone know if there is a nose plug that goes inside your nose so you have the effect of a nose plug but kids can't see it? Because I could deal with that weird feeling if it meant an invisable nose plug.
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

So, not to be all presumptuous or anything because I'm new here, but I see in this thread that water in the nose is a common issue. One of the posters said something that's kind of similar to what I do - the blowing water out of the nose thing...

I actually hum. For me it uses less air, but is just as effective, so I can make many more turns and twists and stuff. I used to make just a very monotone "hummmmmm" when I started swimming to kind of keep the water out right when I went below, or when I was turning, etc. But when I got older I got a bit more creative and started humming songs, or making dolphin noises, things to entertain myself because I kind of get bored very easily.

I'm always curious to know if someone else can hear me make the noises, but I'd never ask. So if someone wants to try that out for me and let me know if all these years, my fellow swimmers have been getting a really bad concert because I was trying to keep the water out of my nose, I'd like to know the results! And if they can't, at least you can make yourself a pretty sound to hear while you're swimming around.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Anahita,

i can't wait to get back in the pool and give it a try. I have a real issue with getting water up my nose and blowing bubbles out constantly makes it hard to stay under for any length of time. Thanks for the tip!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Texas

Add Mermaid~Summer on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Anahita View Post
    I actually hum. For me it uses less air, but is just as effective, so I can make many more turns and twists and stuff. I used to make just a very monotone "hummmmmm" when I started swimming to kind of keep the water out right when I went below, or when I was turning, etc. But when I got older I got a bit more creative and started humming songs, or making dolphin noises, things to entertain myself because I kind of get bored very easily.

I'm always curious to know if someone else can hear me make the noises, but I'd never ask. So if someone wants to try that out for me and let me know if all these years, my fellow swimmers have been getting a really bad concert because I was trying to keep the water out of my nose, I'd like to know the results! And if they can't, at least you can make yourself a pretty sound to hear while you're swimming around.
    I'm gonna try that this week, I'll let you know if it works for me Thanks for the tip
    [B][FONT=book antiqua]~Summer[/FONT][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Anahita View Post
    So, not to be all presumptuous or anything because I'm new here, but I see in this thread that water in the nose is a common issue. One of the posters said something that's kind of similar to what I do - the blowing water out of the nose thing...

That I a good idea! Does it work? And even if you can hear, just do dolphin/whale noises or a sirenish song.
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

For keeping water out and having something to personally listen to, it works great for me! Much cheaper than underwater speakers
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Visit Sarah Lotus's Youtube Channel
    awesome

Visit Sarah Lotus's Youtube Channel
    omg

i don't know anything about tricks but wanna let all you know I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE mermaid raven ;'3 I mean omg.. she is the coolest most amazing mermaid and her work is just..urgh! AMAZING! that's all .. haha
    cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy

Add Echidna on Facebook
    I've learned to lie on the (pool)bottom on my side or back- exhale diving, yay-, and making bubble rings yaay!
    Still working on the bubble hearts.

I do flips, backflips, and sideways and backwards swimming in my routines.
    Working on breaching from the water, but I need something deeper than a pool for that.

Now to find me some stones to build that bubble tower

The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    Since I'm currently putting together a mermaid waterballet showgroup, I'd like to ask the community a few questions.

As mers, or mer-enthusiastic spectators, would you be disappointed if an underwater danceshow featuring mermaids would not have the common underwater "tricks"?

Currently, I'm developing a mermaid-fitting dancestyle.
    It has lots of moves, but no bubble rings/hearts and stuff that's usually done.
    It will basically be a "normal" dance performance, but done underwater with some moves at the surface
    (synchro swimming-like).

Not sure whether that could be a success, or if people who have seen other shows would be like, "meh, they're just dancing, no fancy tricks at all, I could do better"?
    I would love to do this and I think it's a great idea since it goes in a bit of a different direction than what everyone is busy trying to learn, you could obviously have intricate movements and some complex choreography involved, or have different routines with varying ranges of complexity. A performance that is geared towards celebrating the grace and beauty of the mermaid form, and an art that could rival the discipline taught in ballet performed by landwalkers. You could also have something a little more 'Fierce' as Tyra Banks puts it lol, something with more deliberate , quick consecutive movements rather than just graceful flowy movement, fast Barrel rolls are cool for this. Im working on a routine like this for myself, Ill let you know if I come up with anything spectacular :3 also, I started a thread on the music used during performances and routines, if anyone would like to share, dont be shy.

I think when it comes to doing something that "someone else could do better" , is how GOOD you are, how well practiced, how dedicated the members of the group are to teamwork and learning. How in-synch you are, and of course as I have mentioned, how complex the routine and the moves therein. But they should be moves that feel natural

I just managed to do bubble rings! *dancemoves* I was suprised how little air/pressure you need to do them. But the water going up my nose is just something I can't handle.. Feels so ugghh, like I'm gonna drown x_x can't get over it and it annoys me A LOT

Got the same prob, while practicing them i just cant seem to get around the water-in-nose thing, allthough ive started feeling useless at making rings lately lol, like im just making random Blubber noises underwater instead of a steady PUH... -_- slap me

Add Echidna on Facebook
    I always use noseclips, I can move (and feel) like a fish under water if I'm wearing one.

My favourite clip (translucent & almost invisible) broke today though
    sadwatersnake.

I had see-through silicone nose-plugs , but lost them, pretty damn frustrating -_- im going to beg my bf for his' since we both bought a pair along with our swimming goggles last year