Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

Something I tried once, that I saw suggested somewhere else (don't remember where but I think it was a swimming and underwater modeling forum or something, I just Googled it): clear silicone ear plugs. Instead of clipping my nose I just shoved them up my nostrils and kind of molded them into shape (they're very malleable). It worked very well and didn't show at all, though it felt pretty weird and obviously it sounded like I had a bad cold if I said anything :P So it might be good for underwater performing or videos but not if you also had to talk to kids or something.

Disclaimer: do this at your own risk. I only did it in a very shallow pool, but if you were to freedive like that, I could see the water pressure shoving the silicone too far up your nostrils and perhaps getting stuck or causing damage.

But I might try this again the next time I actually do any underwater videos because I have major issues with getting water up my nose and being very sensitive to it (oww arrrghh) and I can never seem to strike the right balance between not getting water UP my nose and feeling miserably uncomfortable, and not blowing air OUT my nose and looking really stupid.

The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

Fits hard attaining that balance, ill try the earplugs, i tried memory foam once but they show so their not great for shoots. But i have to do something, i cant stand the burning sensation of chlorine water traveling up my nose, do you have any suggestions for when swimming in saltwater to avoid a sore throat? Besides avoiding swallowing water of course , which is pretty unavoidable, i thought maybe drinking milk would help but it just makes my throat feel sticky.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Check out what I just found!
    Thank you, Surfers!
    http://www.sinussaver.com/
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Right? I've added it to my Christmas list!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

I was wondering, how do you guys do your barrel rolls? Is there a correct way or is it a thing to be reinvented, im just wondering if im doing it wrong, because i do a really fast one by twisting from the hip, and I am able to stay in place while doing so, ill try and take a vid if i can get my tripod back. What do you guys do, or what things have you tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Dottie View Post
    Check out what I just found!
    Thank you, Surfers!
    http://www.sinussaver.com/
    Lifesaver o_o I'm so going to get these! Price isn't bad either

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    I've been working on a move which you do with a partner Mer but it's pretty fun but you will need to practice and it will need to be done in at least a 12 foot pool or deeper. It can be done in the ocean but like I said it will take practice.

so I like to call it the Double Mer Barrel Role: when you and a partner dive into the pool or tank and swim to the bottom, you come up looking at each other, then you lock one hand with each other and you swim up, while spinning or an upwards barrel role until you making to the top.

I've been able to do this without a mono fin but it's better to practice with a mono fin separate from a tail and practice the trick. Like I said its a really cool mermaid and merman moment if you have a partner so ya good luck and I'd love to see if it works out

Here's a ruff sketch of how it's done
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ^^this is a common move in the SL mer dances

They are a great inspiration if you're looking for a merdance to do iRL (at least the realistic ones,
    some moves are physically impossible to do in reality).

As you said, you'd need really deep water for that.

I have loads of ideas concerning underwater mermaid dances, but no pool anywhere near me has the space and depth needed, and doing everything solo doesn't look as nice (nor is it as fun).

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar
    Just tried bubble rings and it was so much easier than I thought!

ya that's the problem I cant find a place deep enough

hey everyone,
    in the beginning there was someone who asked tips ( hold your breath under water)
    and a few monts ago i found this!

http://sethcipher.hubpages.com/hub/L...n-5-Easy-Steps

it really helpt me out and i hope you can use it

Thanks for posting Mermaid_Lover! Love your avatar by the way!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I tried the barrel roll today at the Leisure Pool... The water went up me nose and into the back of my throat even though I was holding my breath! Not a pleasant feeling. Did I miss a step?

thank you ariel starfish

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    I tried the barrel roll today at the Leisure Pool... The water went up me nose and into the back of my throat even though I was holding my breath! Not a pleasant feeling. Did I miss a step?
    You need to close your soft palette!
    There are two ways of blocking off air (and water) - one is closing your throat (what you do when you cough, for example, and when you hold your breath), but this only stops the water from going down your throat/lungs; it leaves the passage from your nose to your throat open, which lets water run into your mouth.

Your soft palette is at the back of your mouth at the top, and if you can close it, you stop water from getting any further than your nasal cavity. There's no way of stopping water from going up your nose, though, unless you wear a nose plug or don't swim upside down.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    So if I use my tongue to close the gap, like roll it it in my mouth, that will stop the water going thru?

I was watching the kids on youtube doing barrel rolls and they weren't wearing nose plugs.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    So if I use my tongue to close the gap, like roll it it in my mouth, that will stop the water going thru?
    I'm not sure that you can use your tongue to close the gap. With your soft palette closed, you actually should be able to move your tongue around quite a bit, so I don't think your tongue has anything to do with it (I'm not even sure you could get your tongue far back enough in your mouth to block the passage at all anyway).

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    You know how your throat squeezes when you swallow? Basically you would squeeze it like that and hold it to close the soft palate. At least that's my understanding.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow