Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Oh. Thanks I will try that next time.

Does anyone else get the feeling their reading real life manuscripts on how to speak dragon when reading how to make doughnut bubbles?
    I mean the whole 'Puh'/Fus' and then that dude knocking over the rocks with his underwater 'Puh' (ro dah!)

And Those bubble hearts are to cute...
    ıllıllı ɢơ ɨռէσ էɧɘ ω£я ıllıllı

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar
    Lol! I never thought of it that way, your right

This might seen like a weird question or have been answered earlier but I was thinking if it was possible to do a jump out of the water like swim far down and jump up out of the water. Sort of like a synchronized swimming jump or like they do in pirates of the carribbean on stranger tides. I haven't tried yet has anyone here tried?
    "What begins at the water shall end there, and what ends there shall once more begin."
    -S.

Check my etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThreeBluBirds

The only people I've seen do that are in just a monofin (fiberglass) and are finswiming champions. Pretty sure you have to be very athletic especially in finswimming. I really doubt it would be possible with a tail on- too much drag.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    The only people I've seen do that are in just a monofin (fiberglass) and are finswiming champions. Pretty sure you have to be very athletic especially in finswimming. I really doubt it would be possible with a tail on- too much drag.
    that makes sense I would imagine you would have to be very strong.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    We've got a thread about this already, go check it out Ixa: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2181

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Melaina View Post
    We've got a thread about this already, go check it out Ixa: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2181
    Thanks! Still have to find my way around this site im brand new here

well..I'd be fantastic to be able to jump like that, but I'm pretty sure that the friction between the tail and water will just make impossible(or really hard) to do that... plus, you need to be a real athlete...

The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

I've seen that done before by a freediver while I was in Cape Town, but yeah, you have to be really athletic. There are a couple of really good vids on Youtube that show similar stunts, they are mostly done with only a monofin, I don't think it would easily be possible with the additional weight of a mertail though

Re: The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

I tried it on the pool yesterday and it felt like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_VcN...e_gdata_player

Verstuurd van mijn GT-S6500 met Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Would love to do that trick at 0:53 but I think you would have to be very fit swimmer, have a lot of strength, stamina and a proper monofin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmpPdZk-upI

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Yeah... dolphins are always such show-offs. :P
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Any tips for making flips (forward) more fluid?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    Any tips for making flips (forward) more fluid?
    Practice!

it's easier if you are in deeper water and do the flip at depth, because the movement breaks up when done at/near the surface (which is why dolphin is so much better underwater too).

I do not own a tail but I have a monofin. A backflip can be more fluid when I do this circular move with my hands, sort of like mixing a batter. I bet webbed gloves would make it much easier, then one wouldn't have to worry about nails getting flimsy and hands pruny. I also have an idea of a trick where you blow a bubble and "catch it" by cupping your hands upside down, then give it to someone. It would be fun to do this sort of like hot potato back and forth between to mers passing a bubble around; like the opposite of don't let the balloon touch the ground. Also, what about a barrel roll while your top half is above water and the bottom is below?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post
    It's possible...but you would have to be very athletic, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z09RmuaPyVU
    I dived backward off a moving speedboat while throwing my legs in the air in am attempt to do something like that... That counts, right? One of those things where you say: Never. Again. (Up there with purposely throwing myself off a jetski at forty five miles per hour on a dare and standing on a dock in skis with the roped circled up next to me while the boat takes off and jumping in the air when it looks like the right time.)

These are the reasons you should need a license to drive a boat. Or at least be older than thirteen.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

The only thing that I can think of (as a singer and an armature merman) is to build up your diaphragm and push the air out with your abdominal muscles....
    Merman Delphis
    Life, Disney, Bubbles
    Disney Cast Member For Life
    Into the Blue, Let the Current Move You

I wasn't sure where to put this post, but I figure this thread is as good as any.

I had a great swim today at the pool! I haven't gone swimming for a while (those 10 hour work shifts get to you :P) so unfortunately my stamina wasn't as good as it once was. I need to start training more frequently now that I'm in school and I can't use work as an excuse, haha. But anyways, I finally learned how to blow bubble rings! I was pretty excited, I kept going to the bottom of the pool to practice (the downside being that other people didn't see me and bumped into me lol). I've found that the trick is to know how much air to exhale so that you can stay down at the bottom without floating up, but still have enough air to do 4 - 5 decent bubble rings. If my lungs are full, I float, but when I exhale I sink.

I don't know why, but there were a couple of times when I forgot to put my tongue between my lips (I was using the tongue technique) and ended up swallowing a mouthful of water. Oops.

Also, while I was doing laps there were three young girls who were watching me. I stopped to talk to them and they asked me why I was practicing and I told them I was training to be a mermaid I explained that I was only half-mermaid and I was born without a tail, but there was a special mermaid school where, if you could prove yourself, you could earn a tail. They were so enthralled and adorable haha. I felt like a bit of a celebrity, not gonna lie. XD
    Last edited by SeaSister; 09-06-2014 at 02:04 AM.