Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Underwater Tricks Thread!

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    I just learned how to do bubble rings too! Got it on my first try, actually. Thanks to the videos people posted, it was perfectly clear how to do it, and I nailed it! Now I feel like one of the cool kids.

Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Whale and dolphin bubble rings, and other kinds of rings:

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Today, I did half barrel rolls, underwater hand stands and tail flops!

Half barrel rolls cos I ran out of air...
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    you know it's funny I still can't do backflips in rapidash with the competitor monfin after YEARS of working on it? The fluke is so stiff and wide everytime I try to do a flip and veer to one side or the other. But if I use any other monofin that is smaller I can do it just fine lol. I'll practice with goggles, nose plugs too so I dont have to worry about water up my nose and I can see what I'm doing and it makes no difference for me. Big monofin= raina falls over. LOL

Today, I did a surface leap out of the water!

I did a face plant dive, built up a little speed underwater with arms in front style and used my super buoyancy to propel myself up and out of the water.

A move which left me pretty much breathless after two jumps... Wasn't very high but it was still enough to get the lifeguard's and other swimmers attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post

I did a face plant dive, built up a little speed underwater with arms in front style and used my super buoyancy to propel myself up and out of the water.

A move which left me pretty much breathless after two jumps... Wasn't very high but it was still enough to get the lifeguard's and other swimmers attention!
    awesome!
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    you know it's funny I still can't do backflips in rapidash with the competitor monfin after YEARS of working on it? The fluke is so stiff and wide everytime I try to do a flip and veer to one side or the other. But if I use any other monofin that is smaller I can do it just fine lol. I'll practice with goggles, nose plugs too so I dont have to worry about water up my nose and I can see what I'm doing and it makes no difference for me. Big monofin= raina falls over. LOL
    I was the same. Can do a backfip in any fin or any other tail but couldnt do one with my competitor fin and tail. Then I discovered that if I have a little run up (so dive forward and get some momentum swimming forward) I have enough momentum to then go into a backfip and get the fluke over. Just can't do it from a static start. Have your tried that Raina?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Merman Jamie's Avatar

Nice Jaffa

That is really cool!

My new fave trick is to go underwater, face the surface, poke my fluke out of the water and wave it around up there!
    I hope to one day, I'll be able to lift the fluke and legs fully out of the water whilst still remaining submerged. Then I can move around like a mermaid submarine...

It's not technically an "underwater" trick, but at NC Merfest last weekend I figured out how to do what Raina dubbed "dolphin wiggling," based on dolphin tail walking, but staying in place.

I basically quickly moved my body in this full-body back-and-forth serpentine "wiggle," on or just beneath the surface, while moving my tail forwards and backwards just as quickly to raise myself up out of the water. At the same time, I held my arms down and used a similar sort of motion to treading water, but sped up a bit, to help stabilize myself.

It was very tiring, especially for extended periods, and I did need to relax and float on my back for awhile afterwards to catch my breath after a couple repeat performances (the kids and parents loved it)

I managed to get up to about my belly button (I have a fairly tall torso as well as long legs), and I am not in the best shape (216 lbs last time I measured myself, and I have a sweet tooth and live at home eating nice delicious Italian food a lot), but I have been making an effort to go to the gym and I work as a lifeguard, so my treading water skills and lap swimming abilities aren't bad. Despite that, I seemed to be better at it (longer durations, higher rise out of the water, etc) than a lot of the other people who tried it, which surprised me. Raina did master it as well, though, and I think Sean got some footage of it from underwater, though, so hopefully we'll see more dolphin wiggling when they get home and have a chance to unwind.

I've done that! Except I hold my arms about the water over my head to balance myself. Can't get very high in a rubber fin. I'm assuming you have one of the proper monofins to get up to your belly button.

Yes, or rather, I was using Mermaid Eden's monofin... the strap/clasp on mine broke before I got to use it.

My new fave tricks are to float just below the surface, face up, and doing half a back flip so I can just hang there and look back up at the surface world.

The first trick copped me an evil stare from one of the young lifeguards!

I also love swimming backwards facing the surface! I find it much easier to look around for other swimmers. Its easier to do little turns and twists, and come up for air than the other way.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 02-15-2015 at 07:20 PM.

What type of nose plug did you get? I have a hard time with water going in my nose if I try to go on my back under water, or do a somersault flip thing. I have tried closing my pallet, even bought a sinus saver nose plug, but it was too big, I trimmed too much, now I can't use it. I really love swimming under water, but wish the water wouldn't go in the nose, any help with this dilemma anyone?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    You have 3 choices:
    a plug, a mask, or exhaling while under.

I use a translucent plug, and I wouldn't go back to any other method ever (although I have to use a mask when in deeper water).

I see you're new. You should introduce yourself in the Introduction thread

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    I tend to just release small amounts of air through my nose as I do a flip...though I have to be really careful not to release too much or I have to immediately come back to the surface.
    Swamp fish noises intensify

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Pickles View Post
    I tend to just release small amounts of air through my nose as I do a flip...though I have to be really careful not to release too much or I have to immediately come back to the surface.
    Small or big bubbles, doesn't matter, as it doesn't work for me! That's why I wear a snorkel mask!

My new fave trick is to go underwater, face the surface, poke my fluke out of the water and wave it around up there!
    I hope to one day, I'll be able to lift the fluke and legs fully out of the water whilst still remaining submerged. Then I can move around like a mermaid submarine...
    Hehe! I can just imagine that, a submarine with a tail for a periscope, with a little pair of binoculars perched on top, and gliding up and down the pool, looking around XD

{(¯¨*·.,¸_¸,.»BRINGING GRAVITY FALLS AND MERMAIDS TOGETHER SINCE...erm...2014! «.,¸_¸,.·*¨¯)}
    If you're a Gravity Falls fan, why don't you check out my blog?
    https://ageekgirlsblogofawesomeness.wordpress.com/

Formerly known as SeaStarShimmer

Yesterday, at my swim, I did turns using my body. It felt more natural than using hands!
    So all through my laps, I spun round and round. Underneath all the lanes, wasn't nobody there and it felt like I had the whole deep end to myself for awhile!
    Like this lady from the Thai mermaid show...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpWUyfA5V9Y

And forward turns to go back the other way, leading with my head. I'm so happy that I have finally got it!