Thread: If merfolk existed...

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel

If merfolk existed...

I have this theory that if merfolk actually existed that instead of having a fishes tail, which is biologically impossible, that they would have the bottom part of a dolphin or other pinniped. Whales have too much body mass, so I don't think that they would have the bottom part of a whale. Infact, in my opinion "merfolk" already exist but in the form as we know as dolphins and other aquatic mammals.

What are your thoughts on this?

Senior Member Euro Pod
    I would agree and was thinking through this myself this morning - so a timely post. It seems a recent article suggested a lot of similarities (I will look for the original article). However these genes are more related to brain and metabolism. Looking at the differences in skeletons there are significant differences which humans would need to re-evolve - but who knows what DNA (Do Not Alter) techniques will become available in the future.

Name:  skeleton-dolphin.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  67.3 KBName:  800px-Dolphin_anatomy.png
Views: 1716
Size:  209.5 KBName:  350px-Human_skeleton_front_en.svg.png
Views: 522
Size:  113.9 KBName:  Skeleton-of-the-Seal.jpg
Views: 2413
Size:  10.2 KB
    Spine wise humans have 5 cervical bones, 12 thoracic, 5 lumbar, 5 sacral (mostly fused) and 3 coccygeal (fused). Dolphins have a similar number of vertebrae to their vestigal pelvis; but then >14 vertebra type bones for their tail. Seals and sea-lions (pinnipeds) have a more similar skeleton to us, with significantly shortened legs and no beautiful tail. Hence we have to evolve the 'dolphin' kick and need latest technology to have a monofin in order to compensate for our rigid leg bones.

As a believer in the Human evolution for endurance running our bodies developed in a different way. However many cultures (especially in warmer waters) have a history of pearl diving which probably helped establish the mythology of mermaids. But that does NOT mean true mermaids (or mermen) and selkie cannot exist. Somewhere inbetween, in ethereal worlds, in our spirits, in our empathy.

Lets go on a thought exercise... Tomorrow you can swallow a pill which will speed up evolution / DNA changes, and we live 50% on beaches, hunting for food in the sea (our natural home). A mixture of human, seal and dolphin...
    The first thing we would need to do is improve our lung capacity metabolic rate. Hence larger bulk, more warming blubber, and larger chests and diaphragms.
    Next somehow either our legs would disappear and our coccyx bones grow extensively, or our legs would fuse, and the existing long bones fracture and form new joints for a tail This would be very painful to start with. In the end we would have our gleaming tail, but you would never be able to sit again. Alternatively our legs shorten and flippers form from our feet... but we would not fit the traditional mermaid image
    What about hair? Long hair introduces a lot of drag in water, so we would probably evolve receding hairlines to minimize drag. Or we become furry like seals and selkies.
    Body shape wise - the longer and sleeker you are, the less drag and faster in the water, requiring less muscle activity. Hence longer tails and holding arms out in front really help improve underwater swimming. This would influence how our arms are used, and in turn affecting our ability to use them for daily life; and under water.
    Unless we were regularly living on barrier reefs, it is unlikely we would have brightly coloured tails. We are the hunters and not the prey; we need to be hidden until it is too late for our food to escape.
    If we spend all our time laying / swimming flat then we would also need to work out our issues with digestion and bodily functions... they dont work properly in the horizontal plane. Most spinal cord injured, or traumatic brain injured patients require assistance if laying flat too long. Keeping humans upright really helps with the complete system; and actually reduces the risks of back pain. Our spines are designed for upright walking (not computer slouch or sitting)

Of course with fairy tail magic our transformations would be complete (yeah!). However the little mermaid had to feel pain and loose her voice. How happy would you really be living on fish, molluscs, seaweed (very nutritious by the way) etc? Never being able to sit properly (our tails would be too inflexible) and never getting to a mountain / cliff top without help - or hand wheeled carts. Perhaps continued pain where our brain assumes legs should be, but instead is just a tail.

I believe our ability to empathize with nature; and help our aquatic cousins, swim with them (with or without tails) allow our spirits to bond in a much stronger, and longer lasting way. And thanks to our inginuity, we can also be mermaids in image, heart and soul, and to a large extent, in our physical presence.
    Last edited by roamingmer; 09-02-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Senior Member Euro Pod
    And I should perhaps add: Spot the Scientist / Human Movement & Rehabilitation Engineer. Ahem.

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by roamingstudio View Post
    And I should perhaps add: Spot the Scientist / Human Movement & Rehabilitation Engineer. Ahem.
    :-) Thank you roamingstudio for your comprehensive explanation. It was very thorough and informative. I enjoyed every part of it!

Here's my thoughts.
    There are people who say that merfolk do not exist. But....
    new species of whales dolphins and fish are being discovered all the time in the oceans. You're telling me that you are discovering whales you never knew existed and that there is no possible way for a merperson to live in the oceans??? The world is 70% water...that is a lot of area for something the size of a human with a tail to be swimming around in and undetectable.