Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Mermaid Awards relocated from Mirage Hotel to Silverton Hotel

Well crap, now I can't afford a Jesse Tail.... rofl. Good luck Jesse!

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011...gly-silverton/ here's another article with lots of photos

Senior Member Pod of Texas Taylor is a Mermaid's Avatar
    I am in the process of going through my pics, photoshopping them to make the colors better, and posting them here in an album for those who haven't noticed yet. I didn't take as many pics as I should have, because I got distracted by all the beautiful tails and forgot.

I sooo wanted to go! I would love to see pictures so I can live vicariously through you all that got to go! Hoping to make it next year!

Taylor I'm loving your pics, you my dear are cute as a button

HEY GUYS AND GALS. Id love to have a folder at www.deviantartmermaids.deviantart.com for WMA photos. Are any of you on DA willing to upload some?

As a whole I don't think it was much of a flop. Considering change of venue at the last second and all the changes that had to be made, it was a very successful first convention. They really should have done a dress rehearsal, though. I think it would have been a bit smoother. Everything seemed to liven up as time went on and more people started to come. It had to have been a vacation for a lot of mers (it was for me, showed up an hour late to like every event lol). I had an amazing time meeting everyone and have made future plans to hang with some of you! It truely was a great weekend.

Flop or no flop, I had a blast. The whole day I was flitting around like a hummingbird and felt like someone needed to pinch me because I had to have been dreaming. My biggest complaint was the pageant. It was the most disorganized thing of its kind I have EVER seen. I feel bad for the contestants, because they paid a whole lot of money for an event that was a big hot mess. It was still fun to watch because there were lots of beautiful mermaids and adorable merbabies, but it really needed a dress rehearsal.
    I think the next convention really needs workshops, which goes back to the whole community's problem of "I can't share anything because I am going to sell this and make loads of money." Jesse was great about giving lots of info; I know my mom was fascinated when he told her all about how he made his tail, which was so cool to see in person. I would love to see future conventions share tips and behind-the-scenes info on how tails, tops and accessories are made. I'm thinking things like a demonstration of how to paint a latex or silicone tail, how they mix and apply dragonskin, make the ALEX tails, etc. Some of this could be in video form if it was impractical to do there. Also, info on how fabric tails are made too would be cool: demonstrations of painting them, tips on how to measure yourself properly and make your pattern well, what stitches work, etc. There also needs to be more variety of vendors. There were a lot of hair extensions there but few realistic accessories and, as far as I know, no tops for sale. I also wish more of the realistic tail makers had come out. Don't stone me for saying this, but I wish Eric could have come as well as Mike van Daal and some of the others. Maybe next year we will have some of this.

In my opinion, Eric's too anti-community (and has now burned too many bridges especially when he threw Sita under the bus) and Mike is too darn busy!

I hope you all had a wonderful time I felt like a lurker on FB searching through everyone's stuff. Thanks to everyone who took photos. I cant wait to hear what everyone has to say! <3

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011...silverton-cas/

Jesse found another link with pics!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Taylor I'm loving your pics, you my dear are cute as a button
    *hugs* I was the biggest mermaid there, so I appreciate your compliments. They mean a lot to me.

I don't think it was a flop. First times are always the roughest. Everyone had a good time. I can NOT wait until next year!

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJesse View Post
    I will be uploading some of the pics when I get back to Cincinnati.
    Jesse! I am from Columbus! We should get together and swim sometime!
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

I was Sita's first customer - I bought tickets for the event far in advance. I was excited to go there all the way from Miami and celebrate my birthday (Aug.12)

From the beginning, my experience was miserable. Sita never was able to remember who I was, how many tickets she
    was supposed to send, etc. I begged her repeatedly for more specific details about the weekend - even a week or two
    before the event she was unable to tell me any agenda or organized schedule. When the venue changed, what was
    already growing apprehension in my stomach became worse. It became very clear just 3 days or so before the event that there was NO schedule, NO seafood buffet as originally
    promised, and all of a sudden only one-day event, not two

I expressed to Sita that I was disappointed as I was not going to be receiving what was
    originally promised. Sita told me "no problem, I am offering refunds within 45 days.." I
    immediately put my name on her refund list.

It is now mid-November and I have yet to see any refund.

I believe that it was very irresponsible for Sita Lange to take on an event planning
    project of this size without hiring any experts, without training, education, expertise. She
    claims that Mirage imposed some sort of last-minute change, but
    that is highly unlikely. More likely is that she didn't carefully read the contract and didn't have an attorney look at it.

I am now filing a lawsuit in small claims court against Sita Lange to get my money back.
    Last edited by ErinBooher; 11-12-2011 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinBooher View Post
    I was Sita's first customer - I bought tickets for the event far in advance. I was excited to go there all the way from Miami and celebrate my birthday (Aug.12)

From the beginning, my experience was miserable. Sita never was able to remember who I was, how many tickets she
    was supposed to send, etc. I begged her repeatedly for more specific details about the weekend - even a week or two
    before the event she was unable to tell me any agenda or organized schedule. When the venue changed, what was
    already growing apprehension in my stomach became worse. It became very clear just 3 days or so before the event that there was NO schedule, NO seafood buffet as originally
    promised, and all of a sudden only one-day event, not two

I expressed to Sita that I was disappointed as I was not going to be receiving what was
    originally promised. Sita told me "no problem, I am offering refunds within 45 days.." I
    immediately put my name on her refund list.

It is now mid-November and I have yet to see any refund.

I believe that it was very irresponsible for Sita Lange to take on an event planning
    project of this size without hiring any experts, without training, education, expertise. She
    claims that Mirage imposed some sort of last-minute change, but
    that is highly unlikely. More likely is that she didn't carefully read the contract and didn't have an attorney look at it.

I am now filing a lawsuit in small claims court against Sita Lange to get my money back.
    Please let us know what happens! And I have no idea if there is going to be a WMA's next year. I brought it up before that it could be a MerNetwork thing - which I would be in for helping organize, but it is a lot of work.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Senior Member Pod of Texas CynthiaMermaid's Avatar
    Here are my MerCon pictures, note that there are 4 pages.
    http://www.goldmermaid.com/WMA2011

i have no clue how this will get all the way to Sita Lange, and I'm not even sure she can help but if you know someone who knows Sita, please pass this message on.
    Sita,
    I am one of the ones who can't go to Las Vegas. i was wondering if it's possible to set up the MerCon or another MerCon in another town? something not gambling related? I realize this is much to ask, but if it's at all possible, would you look into it? If we could have two MerCon's during the year, i think you might have more people show up because those who can't make it at one place and time could make it at another. agian, a lot to ask of you even though you've just done one MerCon, but could you think about it?

Sita isnt putting on another mercon this year, but there are other merevents happening all over. Anyone can organize a merevent.

p.s. sita is on FB, posting a reply to someone pictures thread wont get seen by her, l

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    i have no clue how this will get all the way to Sita Lange, and I'm not even sure she can help but if you know someone who knows Sita, please pass this message on.
    Sita,
    I am one of the ones who can't go to Las Vegas. i was wondering if it's possible to set up the MerCon or another MerCon in another town?

Sita isnt putting on another mercon this year, but there are other merevents happening all over. Anyone can organize a merevent.
    Alexandrea, Raina's right. Anyone can organize an event. One option would be to select an existing convention that will have cosplayers and arrange for other people in Texas to meet you there. A google search indicates that the Anime Matsuri convention will be held just north of Houston, April 6th to 8th, at the Woodlands Waterway Mariott. The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool.

There's another anime/cosplay convention that you and your local mers could arrange to go swimming at called A-kon, which is held June 1st in Dallas.

Or you and some other Texan mers can arrange to meet up on your own, rather than at an existing event. You can contact other mers in Texas by posting in the pod of texas forum here, and by using the pod of texas facebook group.