Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof makeup?

Don't know if anyone has said this specifically-

I use Ben Nye cream make up as a base for where ever I'll be putting colour. The colour of the cream depends on the out come I want... (I do A LOT of experimenting on my arm) then, I add a POWDER, not pressed, loose powder on top of that. I have swam and showered in it. I have to SCRUB it off and it still kind of stains.

As for my loose powders, I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEMica Bella. I have no idea where they sell it other than little mall stalls here in California. :-( But their pigments are made out of mica stone and are super vibrant and shimmery. The purple I have is actually iridescent and has blue hues in it.

For lips - I do the same thing as the shadow, I make my own colours and they last HOURS.

I use Maybelline Super Stay 24HR foundation and quickly apply blush before it dries and that'll stay too.

For eyeliner I use Hip by... cover girl? But it seems like it's the same as the MAC and MUFE eye-liners. It's a waterproof gel.

And Mascara - Any Maybelline waterproof mascara will work wonderfully! Take it off with vaseline if you're too worried.

Aaaaaaaaand that's about it, I think.
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Okay, weird trick I figured out over faire.
    The one day I didn't do this, I looked awful and burnt like a lobster.
    Liquid foundation + sunblock with powder on top. Holy cow!
    stayed ALL day. hours of in and out of the pool. My tail got more damage than my skin.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    I may have to try that. Hm.
    Swamp fish noises intensify

Did you mix them before applying? Or just put on sunblock then put on foundation?

Ok so I've actually been doing some crazy amounts of makeup testing which includes swatches and photos on my instagram ( http://www.instagram.com/katherinearnold ) so far the best products I have found for my skin are....

Foundations:
    Stargazer pro liquid foundation (srs it stayed through a hot shower and for fellow pale-mers, it comes in a super light PINK tone )
    I'd also recommend lancome teint idole 24h foundation. Didn't budge through a long hot shower and a full night's sleep!

eyeshadows:
    maybelline 24h colour tattoo - I know these have mixed reviews but if you use a decent brush and blend it well and perhaps even seal it with powder eyeshadow before it sets, it will not budge unless you rub your eyes raw or use an oil based eye makeup remover. (it also works really well as a glue for loose glitter)

eyeshadow/liner:
    don't forget you can use liner/pencil to cover the whole lid if you blend it out.
    - urban decay 24/7 glide on eye pencil (some ghosting after a long hot shower and did slide a tiny bit after wearing all day but for a few hours in a pool it will NOT move if you resist rubbing your eyes)
    - I also just got the liquid liner from the same range and that doesn't budge unless you rub at it.

mascara:

I actually tried urban decay cannonball and it flakes like mad from water or just wearing through the day normally, would not recommend!
    what I would recommend is Max Factor's masterpiece waterproof hd mascara - after a long hot shower it came off some of my bottom lashes but nothing bad and I didn't have flakes sitting on my cheeks.

Brows:
    cheap crappy uk range but it worked.... laval pearl eye shader (pencil) with a coat of their clear mascara. I think it would last through a hurricane 0.o

lips:
    most high pigment/long last lipsticks will work if you don't rub them but the best I found was a max factor lipfinity lipstick. Unless you scrub your skin raw it won't come off - it does crack a little so make sure you stretch the lip while you put the colour on. The lip balm it comes with works well but I'd probably suggest trying something like carmex or burts bees wax based balm instead which should last longer than the balm.

false lashes... not got to these yet but I've read that you need to use real hair ones because synthetic ones will loose their shape

If you're interested then please follow my instagram cause I'll keep posting reviews for waterproof makeup but I will post round-ups here now and then =)

edit: oh btw I also found this cute site http://www.shelllipbalm.co.uk/ how adorable are these?!
    Last edited by Mermaid Lilium; 06-10-2013 at 08:00 PM.

All of that sounds great! Personally, I wouldn't recommend the 24h Tattoo... :-/ Not compared next to Ben Nye, the colours were just so bland in comparison.

Question for the foundation - I'm a pale mer, but pink just makes my skin look ugh... I'm not a "pink" tone, I'm using Loreal true match right now, but I have NO idea how it is for water. Haven't tested it. I'm assuming it isn't great, but I really don't know. Haha I will test that soon and let you guys know.
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Kailani View Post
    All of that sounds great! Personally, I wouldn't recommend the 24h Tattoo... :-/ Not compared next to Ben Nye, the colours were just so bland in comparison.

Question for the foundation - I'm a pale mer, but pink just makes my skin look ugh... I'm not a "pink" tone, I'm using Loreal true match right now, but I have NO idea how it is for water. Haven't tested it. I'm assuming it isn't great, but I really don't know. Haha I will test that soon and let you guys know.
    Sounds like you're pale with a yellow tone - I seriously suggest the lancome teint idole 24h foundation - the palest ones are too yellow for me but they are light! It's the darkest one in this swatch photo (bottom left photo of my arm, you can see the darker band) and it didn't budge at all after a long hot shower and then sleeping with it:

Name:  59fe4b02c88a11e2ad8422000a1fa8e9_7.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  79.7 KB

A few suggestions...they may have been posted already, but I honestly don't have time to go through this entire thread. 1. mermaid minerals. they have a clear liner that can turn any of their eyeshadows into liner. pretty cool. 2. no mascara is waterproof. I don't care what the label says. more recently I have found an eyelash STAIN by hard candy, that you can get at your local walmart. it's not going to thicken and lengthen your lashes like some mascaras, but it lasts 1-4 days and it fades gently and does not run. I have swam and shower tested it, and it's true. only lasts one day for me, but i'm in water quite often . 3. you can try the Vaseline trick for your eyemakeup...but even with the makeup I do, I haven't found this to work. it is extremely messy and didn't hold up to water at all 4. try mac mixing medium or kryolan cake line sealer (with cake liner as shadows if you like) and ben Nye sealer. I always suggest loose pigments over shadows no matter what route you go. and spend the money for good products. I cant stress this enough. if you want good results...you cant skimp out on the good stuff. itll hold up and last. don't be afraid of paying 15$ a color (I have over 75 of them...) I guarantee each of those colors will last you a year even on daily use. happy swimming

Senior Member Pod of Cali angelstarfish's Avatar

Follow angelstarfish on Tumblr Visit angelstarfish's Youtube Channel
    check out this site:

http://www.mermaidminerals.com/

ok so new finds:

a UK brand here (sorry!) called 'seventeen' which is sold in Boots, they make a liquid liner called 'tattoo me' it does not budge, is easy to apply and is a nice thick, true black

and I now swear by maybeline NY 'super stay 24 color' lip colour - I now have it in two shades and it can and will last for DAYS.

In about a week my american mom (mum in law) is coming to visit and is bringing me a huge haul of makeup so expect a surge of makeup reviews on my instagram XD I'll let you guys know the results as and when I find good mer-make-up =)

(EDIT: If people are wanting the tattoo me liner and can't find it online anywhere I'd be up for mailing it to you as long as you pay me the money for the liner and shipping - they're only little tubes so postage should be minimal! They cost about Ģ7/8 I think)

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kailani View Post
    Did you mix them before applying? Or just put on sunblock then put on foundation?
    Whoops sorry that took so long! I mixed the foundation and sunblock together, and then put the powder on top. Worked like a second skin to keep the sun off.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Tried some new makeup I bought today. It lasted through an hour and a half of rough swimming and a hot shower... still on! I put some little lines on the top to see how well details would hold up. Heres the genius part: eyelash glue. It makes glitter stick to your face forever and I'm sure it'll work for little gems too.

before swim:

after swim:

Had anyone had eyelash extensions and swam for long periods with them?

Also going shopping for some of the suggestions in here this weekend!

Add littlettol on Facebook
    Hi, I happened to see this, and can suggest a few items I use and personally like. I hope it's useful to everyone

For foundation, my cousin swear by Tarte. According to her, the Amazonian Clay BB tinted moisturiser is HG, and she swam with jellyfish in Palau with the foundation on. Myself, I use mostly mineral foundation from Meow Cosmetics, over Fyrinnae primer. Unfortunately, I think Fyrinnae no longer stocks the primer, so I'll have to find something to plaster my face in now. :/

As for eyes, I use Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy when I'm using glitter and loose shadows (I'm big on shiny, glittery loose shadows!). Fyrinnae's PE is good because it isn't exactly a primer -- more like "glue" for lack of better word.

I'm still experimenting with liners and mascara, but I find that the Japanese make mascara and liners tend to hold up better in water. They are a pain to remove though. Heroine Make is a Japanese line that targets only waterproof eye products and reviews are good. I have not tried it yet however, because I can't justify paying almost 30USD a tube of mascara. :/

Lip stains, as mentioned, are good for colour. I like those, but I also love the lip lustre from Fyrinnae. Those stuff stains like crazy and are so pigmented, they are a nightmare to remove. However, the texture out of the tube is runny at first, so you will have to blot the excess before entering water.

So I tested some eyeshadow primers/sealers from the haul from my mom-in-law's visit and didn't get round to sharing my review on here yet cause all hell broke loose at home shortly after SO anyways....

I tested

Illamasqua Sealing Gel

Lime Crime Eyeshadow Primer

and Make Up Forever Aqua Seal.

In the same test, I also tested a bunch of eyeliners and a few lip products. (see below in the caption for a full breakdown)

Name:  b19d11ba09c411e389de22000a9f1406_7.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  71.8 KB

This is the caption I wrote for the picture at the time (minus a few hashtags :P):

"Oooomahgawd so many products here haha ok so firstly:

- Seventeen's 'tattoo me' liner is the clear winner here.

I watched the products deal with hot water, then direct flow pummelling it, then gentle touch/friction tests to all out rubbing at it under water flow. You see the end results at the bottom here.

- Turns out that Limecrime's 'velvetines' lipstick is actually extremely waterproof.

- Next review is Make Up Forever's aqua liner... held up until the rubbing at the end where it rolled/flaked off. Didnt fade or budge until then.
    - Their aqua lip colour (similar results to the superstay 24h color lipstick) held up til the same point.

- I tested my trusty #apocalips and it held up until the touch test which showed it had melted somewhat and would move or smudge easily.

- I wont even comment on how NOT waterproof the #bourjois clubbing liner was.

Instead I will move on to my test of eyeshadow fixers/helpers that claim to waterproof your eye makeup.

- The letters stand for #illamasqua seal gel which wasn't that great - it started flaking off right from the start.

- The next letter is #limecrime eyeshadow helper - a little better but still flaked after a bit wherever there were lumps of pigment etc it also didn't hold up to the touch/rubbing as well as the final one...

- which was makeupforever aqua seal. This didn't flake and only faded very slowly, and mostly only after the touch/rubbing test."

Since doing this test I have been using MUFE aqua liner just because once I was actually using the tattoo me liner from seventeen, it's a s.o.b to apply - I suggest using a separate brush for applying it, not the one in the cap. The MUFE aqua liner is just SO bloody easy to apply and lasts really well with water as long as you don't rub your eyes, that it's the clear winner. But seriously, if you can master the application, Seventeen's 'tattoo me' liner... you could rub your eyes as muuuch as you want and it aint budging!

What I found in general with the eyeshadow sealers was that 1) don't expect them to be infallible if you start rubbbing your eyes and 2) there wasn't much difference between the results from lime crime's eyeshadow primer once any clumps had flaked off, and the aqua seal. But I was so impressed by the aqua seal in general that I really would reccommend it. The photo doesn't do justice to it, it stayed deep black until right at the end when I reeeaaaallly started scrubbing at it.

also note that this test is hot water, not salt water or chlorinated pool water.

I just bought mac's Face and Body foundation the other day which apparently is water resistant as it's a film forming foundation. So that will be my next test. For day to day use it's just gorgeous <3 and it smells amazing when you are applying it - lemon oil! It's more sheer than the other foundations I use but its gentle dewy finish is just SO nice and I'm not left feeling caked with makeup or super greasy by the end of the day! Next Foundation purchases to test are going to be... Mac's full coverage cream foundation (might be waterproof) and illamasqua's skin base foundation (not likely to be waterproof but their colour range is amazing for a pinky-pale mer like me. If it turned out to be water resistant... zomg lol.

anyways... ask any questions about the stuff I tested, I won't bite =) Also I'm open to requests for testing other products (particularly UK brand ones or at least stuff I can realistically get :P)

also.. what are people's thoughts about the risks of silicone based foundations when swimming in a silicone tail?

ps! I also tested out another mascara...

Name:  6c5b60a809c311e3998822000a1fbc5d_7.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  99.0 KB

- 'esteelauder extreme volume waterproof mascara' lasted well on the actual lashes but the let-down is it does flake badly seems to be that way for lengthening mascaras due to the fibres in them.

- The top lid was a purple MUFE aqua liner.... so dissapointing =( do not waste your money on them.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Awesome! Thanks for going to the trouble I'll be getting me a stick of Tattoo Me soon.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I'm going to pick up a few of the products y'all recommended and see if I can start getting a good routine set of products going for myself.

I just wanted to say a couple of things - first of all, the thing about makeup not working the same way for everyone is totally true; somebody above recommended Stila's waterproof liquid liner, and that product does not work well for me. It stayed put in the store when I tested it on my hand, but when applying it, it did that thing where a second line overtop of the first line took off the first line; and then it didn't stay on very well after that.

I also wanted to say, based on a couple of people's posts:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT

Put saliva OR acrylic paints OR - oh my god - Sharpie marker on your eyes!!

Different bacteria live in your mouth than live in your eyes, and you can give yourself infections and damage your eyes by transferring saliva to them. This is also why you NEVER EVER spit in your contact lenses.

And acrylic paints, and especially Sharpie, are made with chemicals that are absolutely not for using on your skin. I know plenty of people who have used them for various cosplay-related things, but seriously guys, skin is porous and those chemicals will leach right into you.

Just promise me you guys aren't going to mess around with your eyes!! They're much more delicate than we realize sometimes, and they're so so important to take care of <3 Please only use products on your eyes that are meant to be used on your eyes.

Whew - okay!

Kay, I just went out and bought the Stila Smudge Stick in Lionfish (I love that many of them are named after fish! This one's copper), Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes in Purple (for my green eyes), and Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in Raspberry (which might be too dark - I'm super pale - but even though I loved the formula I had trouble finding just the right color, not too pale, not too brown).

And yes, I specifically asked, and Sephora will take these products back if I try them and they turn out not to be waterproof! Sweet!

I'll let y'all know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanna Meta View Post
    And yes, I specifically asked, and Sephora will take these products back if I try them and they turn out not to be waterproof! Sweet!

I'll let y'all know how it goes
    Yup, I bought my MUFE products from Sephora and since they didn't work out for me I returned them with no trouble whatsoever.

Waterproof makeup?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Rose View Post
    Yup, I bought my MUFE products from Sephora and since they didn't work out for me I returned them with no trouble whatsoever.
    Here's my take: the aqua eye products work great with the aqua seal over them, not great without. The liner is good. The lip liner is great with lip seal over it (mermaid minerals). With those things, they're the best at staying than anything else I've tried. Without them, they're about average.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook