Thread: Face Book coy rights

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook

Face Book coy rights

I was looking an I found this. To all you people that post pictures on face book you have a surprise. Please read this.

http://gma.yahoo.com/stop-dont-post-...news-tech.html

just said on the news this morning that it is a fake. so nothing to worry about

this was over a year ago. i'm surprised people are only finding out about this now .__.

This was just posted to my news page this morning. If I messed up I'm sorry, but I thought this could be interesting to people that have face book and didn't know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vallee33 View Post
    This was just posted to my news page this morning. If I messed up I'm sorry, but I thought this could be interesting to people that have face book and didn't know about it.
    ..what'd you mess up?? >.>;

I didn't know that this was old news. That is how I messed up

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    "It's a frightful message and those worried that Facebook will own their photos or other media are posting it -- unaware that it is a hoax. Here's the truth: Facebook doesn't own your media and there is no such thing as the Berner Convention. (There is a Berne Convention!)"

Berner Convention makes me think of this:

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    I think I just read something in one of the recent Reader's Digests about facebook being able to use your photos however they like unless you know how to get out of it. I wonder if they got sucked in, too.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyMer View Post
    I think I just read something in one of the recent Reader's Digests about facebook being able to use your photos however they like unless you know how to get out of it. I wonder if they got sucked in, too.
    I think, and I might be getting some facts wrong here, that the photo sharing website twitpic briefly had in its terms of service a clause that while users had the copyright on their images, the site itself had an automatic licence to use the images for things, including selling permission for other people to use them. There was an outrage and the clause was removed. That may have been an inspiration for this rumor.
    [source]

As an aside, I think people should be very concerned about their ownership of information they post online. Sure, facebook users have a copyright on the stuff the stuff they post, but I think facebook still has the rights to sell your personal information to advertisers. So I think people have every reason to be very concerned. Ultimately the safest option is to not give facebook your information.

As another aside, I wonder what my legal rights are with respect to everyone's content on here? If I wanted to go mad with power, would I be legally allowed to do stuff like what facebook does? I wrote in the rules that no one is allowed to steal content from anyone and as far as I'm concerned that applies to me as well, but technically speaking I don't know if its legally binding. Actually I don't know what makes anything legally binding. I guess I just assume something is if whoever said it can afford a lawyer.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    you give a specific type of permission so your images can be shared on FB and liked and commented on. The same standard ToS that is on most photo and art websites. You still have your copyright. I explained it on my page with a link earlier too.