Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ☆ Tail Care and Maintenance, The Official Thread ☆

How warm water is too warm?
    Is 86F to much?

"First, the mermaids have to slather their legs with hair conditioner, and then squeeze into the skin tight suits."
    Doesn't hair conditioner mess up with the water you're swimming in? :s

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    86˚F is cooler than body temp. I think 105˚ could be considered warm...that's like a bath. Hot would be anything over 115˚, maybe?

Slathering with hair conditioner sounds dumb, expensive and messy, not to mention dangerous if you're swimming in a tank with fish.

What's something else you can use besides lube? Feels a bit awkward to me to buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yulia View Post
    What's something else you can use besides lube? Feels a bit awkward to me to buy that.
    If you have a neoprene or neoprene backed tail you can use Suit Slip (linked in original post, 4th bullet down). The makers of Suit Slip say it's fine for silicone tails as well, but I don't know anyone else who has used it for a full silicone tail. Some use hair conditioner, but I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Just so you know people buy water-based lube for all kinds of things other than sex. Especially generic brands like KY Jelly. Paint thinner for acrylics, making fake blood (I've heard of zombie/goul fashion shows buying out every bottle in a store in preparation), removing stuck on o-rings, sewing through rubbery fabrics, unsticking sticky or stuck zippers, getting of price tag residue, and untangling knotted jewelry chains are ones I can think off off the top of my head. But if you're still not convinced, you can always buy it online. Or ask a friend, boyfriend, relative, or whoever buy a bottle for you.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Okay, so... I went to look for lubricant today and they is liquid and jelly... both water based. I'm not sure which get. ><

Get liquid- jelly is harder to spread around and gets sticky faster.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Thank you, Iona! ^_^ I shall attempt to get myself to buy it soon. Haha

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with caring for polycarbonate monofins? I recently bought a monofin from Fin Fun, which is polycarbonate, but is super flexible so I am looking to make it stiffer somehow. Are there any suggestions for doing this? I did think about duct tape, but I came across one website that says it degrades polycarbonate, can anyone confirm this either way?
    Thanks!

Bumping for added info on drying and repairing silicone tails.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I wonder, could aloe vera gel be used as lubrication to get a silicone tail on? I'm thinking about putting a bit in a spray bottle with some water to dilute it, and spritzing myself down.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I don't see why not! I don't know if mixing them would work well, you might have to water down the gel enough to get it to spray that you'd have to spray a ton of it to be slippery enough. If you do it you should post and let us know how it works out
    Just make sure you get aloe that doesn't have any additives (listed earlier in the thread I believe?) that could harm the silicone. On the shelf aloe products tend to get a lot of additives these days :/ Personally I order mine from Mountian Rose Herbs because I know it's pure food grade aloe. Good luck!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Thank, Iona! I had no idea where to find additive-free aloe vera gel. I have a aloe vera plant on my back porch, but I think the recent cold snaps have done it in It's also such a hassle to try to grind it yourself. You always end up with chunks that won't grind up I may try smearing on the gel, then spritzing it with a little water to make it slicker. Might be awhile until I try this, however, my tail is still in the construction stage.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Actually though Jo has a silicone based lube, they're H20 version that she's talking about is silicone safe. I work as a sex toy store, not only do we recommend it for silicone toys, but a love them come with a packet of it for a free trial.

You could use J-Lube. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360476546325?lpid=82 Its a powder you mix yourself. Allergy-free, silicone safe, and you mix it with water. I've got a bottle and I've had it for three years...I don't have a tail...but I do have silicone sex toys and it's never damaged any of them. You'd only need a little bit to ease a tail on, its so slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWalker View Post
    You could use J-Lube. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360476546325?lpid=82 Its a powder you mix yourself. Allergy-free, silicone safe, and you mix it with water. I've got a bottle and I've had it for three years...I don't have a tail...but I do have silicone sex toys and it's never damaged any of them. You'd only need a little bit to ease a tail on, its so slippery.
    Thanks for letting us know you've found it to be silicone safe! Someone posted about it months back, and I spent a few hours digging around the net trying to find some place or someone that actually said it was silicone safe, but couldn't find that anywhere. Since it's used for veterinary uses (in vet offices and on farms) they don't really tend to include that kind of information. And I'd hate to make assumptions just becuase It's water based that it's silicone safe- I mean, seems a safe enough assumption, but that could be a $2-8k mistake X_x

I will add this to the thread, as a 10oz bottle makes 6-8 GALLONS of lube! That's the holy grail of cheap mermaid tail lube!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

I use coconut oil. I use some of it to get my tail on and some for my hair after swimming (swimming makes my hair rather difficult to comb!) and it works great for me. I havent had any problems with it and a nice rinse inside my tail with dawn dish soap once a week gets rid of any oily residue.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Romy's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Romy On Twitter
    Follow Mermaid Romy on Tumblr Visit Mermaid Romy's Youtube Channel
    Ah, thank you so much. I'm so glad this thread is here. I was really worried about taking care of my tail when I finally got it!

This is great my husband and I were just talking about trying to find a stand for my tail!!! The examples you put are are perfect templates for us to work with!!!!

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Mirazyme works great for getting any smell out of neoprene/silicone tails, just pour a little in the tub let it sit for 10 mins and hang to dry. Smell gone! Also awesome for wet suits

I've searched around a bit on the forum but didn't find a good answer..
    How much does latex stretch?
    My waist is 26inches, and my butt is 36inches, will there be problems to get it on?
    I don't want to rip it...