Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: ☆ Tail Care and Maintenance, The Official Thread ☆

i really dont have enough knowledge about latex. i also wanted to repaint it. what should i do.? is rubber cement ok with latex?

Quote Originally Posted by merman yhan View Post
    hi im merman yhan from the philippines. just recently i had made my ownnlatex tail but i just noticed that mold starts to appear on my tail. how can i prevent it and hoe can i avoid my tail on deforming. tnx
    I'm pretty sure latex will break down in water no matter what without a sealant on it. I don't know how to fix it except maybe scrape or get rid of the affected area and re-apply the latex, then seal it. Maybe with the waterproof Monster Makers Sealant.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Anyway, saw another thread asking about hanging/drying tails, here is my (new) solution, that accommodates my growing collection of tails! <3

Name:  16238044_10158082501910511_45712713_n.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  88.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Crazy View Post
    Mermaid Kelda actually uses it in place of lube when getting her tail on. I don't think she's seen any adverse effects from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you are swimming around reefs make sure to use a reef friendly sunscreen or you will kill a lot of the coral.

Sent from my SM-G935T using MerNetwork mobile app

So, I'm getting a mertailor spellbound tail pretty soon, and if I'm reading this correctly, the best general cleaner for each use is to do a triple mixture of cool fresh water, White vinigar (to discourage mold), and baking soda ( to discourage chlorine damage). Is that correct? can I just use a third of each after each pool use, or so I have to mix them seperately, or is one used more often then the other? Also, If I used this method each time, is there still need for these special shampoos and such? Then every third use of so, after cleaning it, and the tail is dry (?) I should spray the entire thing over with some silicone spray lube protector, and let it sit (?).

Also, my Mer sister and I usually get in the sauna after a good swim. We thought it might help to bring the tails in with us, and use the pool noodles so the inside could get dry (after cleaning). We thought this would be better then using a blow dryer as we've seen other Mers do. Would a Sauna be useful? what temperature would one recommend we bring a fully wet tail into the sauna on. How long would this be useful, without damage. 10 minutes? 30? or like... would we want to wait till the tail is fully dry on the outside, or lightly damp or what?

XD Sorry I know this is alot of questions, I just fully plan to take ridiculously good care of this tail if I can Thank you!!

Any responses would be helpful!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMermaidQuintessence View Post
    So, I'm getting a mertailor spellbound tail pretty soon, and if I'm reading this correctly, the best general cleaner for each use is to do a triple mixture of cool fresh water, White vinigar (to discourage mold), and baking soda ( to discourage chlorine damage). Is that correct? can I just use a third of each after each pool use, or so I have to mix them seperately, or is one used more often then the other? Also, If I used this method each time, is there still need for these special shampoos and such? Then every third use of so, after cleaning it, and the tail is dry (?) I should spray the entire thing over with some silicone spray lube protector, and let it sit (?).

Also, my Mer sister and I usually get in the sauna after a good swim. We thought it might help to bring the tails in with us, and use the pool noodles so the inside could get dry (after cleaning). We thought this would be better then using a blow dryer as we've seen other Mers do. Would a Sauna be useful? what temperature would one recommend we bring a fully wet tail into the sauna on. How long would this be useful, without damage. 10 minutes? 30? or like... would we want to wait till the tail is fully dry on the outside, or lightly damp or what?

XD Sorry I know this is alot of questions, I just fully plan to take ridiculously good care of this tail if I can Thank you!!
    It looks like all the Mertailor "spellbound" tails have "soft inside polyester spandex blend fabric" so.. I'm guessing neoprin. I know he used neoprin for a long time but may have changed the wording around since most people don't know what neoprin is, and because some aren't particularly fond of that material. I looked at some YouTube reviews and one reviewer said neoprene, but it appeared to be like the same neoprin he's been using for many years. (And most people don't know the difference). Once you get the tail you will be able to take a look at it and see if it's neoprene or neoprin. (If you have issues telling, feel free to post on the forum or PM me). Either way it's a partial silicone tail.

You don't want to mix baking soda and vinegar- use one or the other at a time If you want to use both, I would use the vinegar and water mixture first, then rinse it out well, then give it a baking soda bath/rinse. You will probably have to use more baking soda as any trace of vinegar still in there will mean the vinegar and baking soda will basically cancel each other out (ph wise). And you want it more alkaline so it will help neutralize the acidity of the chlorine.

Baking soda is used more often. A partial tail is more prone to mold issues in general than other tails (especially neoprin, it dries more slowly becuase of the space in the fabric). The acidity of the vinegar in a vinegar rinse helps destroy the bacteria that leads to mold, and it can help kill mold that is present. But drying it out properly is absolutely the most important thing to keep mold away. Standing it up and letting it dry out is the best way to do that. Some people use the wall racks or build a PVC rack (as in the original thread), some people just hang them over doors or whatever they can manage. You don't want to store the tail away (to sit for days or weeks or whatever) until it completely dry inside.

The silicone sprays are for the partial latex tails (old school, only one maybe two tailmakers even make them now, they're somewhat more common with self-made tails). You do not want to use any silicone based products on a silicone tail.

As for the sauna, I don't know what damage it would do or how long it takes. It depends on how hot it is and other factors, so I can't say for certain. Silicone is pretty durable stuff, more so when it comes to heat than any other kind of tail, but it's not indestructible. The fabric inside may be more prone to damage from heat than the silicone is. Do so at your own risk.
    The silicone outside will dry pretty quickly, or you can just dry it easily with a towel. It's the inside fabric that are in those particular tails that is going to take the most time to dry. My guess is 30 minutes, even in a sauna, won't do it. When I had a partial latex tail from him, the neoprin took a few days to dry (sometimes even longer). And that was on a tail drying rack that my husband built for it.

In the end, you're going to have to get to know your own tail, and what works and doesn't work by experimenting a little. You have great base knowledge here, so work with that

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    Chlorine is actually an oxidizer - the Chlorine molecule is highly reactive (likes to bond to) organic material (such as certain fabric dye and organic fabrics). This is why it 'eats' things. The BEST way to neutralize this is to use good old hydrogen peroxide. When you rinse the fabric (tail), use a bucket and dump like 1/4 a bottle of the peroxide (drug store strength) in the water and slosh around for a few minutes. The peroxide reacts and produces salt NaCl and plain water H2O. At worst, a TINY amount of chlorine gas is produced, but is so minute as to be a mute point. THEN rinse again with clear water. This also works for neutralizing any laundry treated with bleach (NaOCl)

wait so...not baking soda? I'm trying to come up with a stable method before my tail arrives. peroxide instead of baking soda? yes, no? X3

Junior Member Pod of the Southwest MermaidCrystall's Avatar
    Add MermaidCrystall on Facebook
    Visit MermaidCrystall's Youtube Channel
    Help question! In my Mertailor sweetheart basic tail I've notices a small area where the silicone has started separating from the fabric. Which adhesive so I need to buy to repair it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMermaidQuintessence View Post
    wait so...not baking soda? I'm trying to come up with a stable method before my tail arrives. peroxide instead of baking soda? yes, no? X3
    Test it at your own risk. I haven't had time to fact check this, and I don't know of anyone who has actually used this on a tail. However, MANY mers have been using baking soda for extended periods without any ill effects.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidCrystall View Post
    Help question! In my Mertailor sweetheart basic tail I've notices a small area where the silicone has started separating from the fabric. Which adhesive so I need to buy to repair it myself.
    I would advise contacting Eric and asking him. I'm not sure what he uses to bond the silicone to the neoprin. If I had to guess, I'd say SilPoxy or the GE caulking listed in the first post- but I am no expert. Again, I would HIGHLY advise contacting Eric first before trying to repair without any insight.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Bump: Added information and reformatted for easier reading.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Has anyone ever applied silicone to the tail tips and seams of a fabric tail. I know fin fun tails does something similar and was wondering if this was a smart way to DIY and make it not wear and tear as easily?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Avalynn View Post
    Has anyone ever applied silicone to the tail tips and seams of a fabric tail. I know fin fun tails does something similar and was wondering if this was a smart way to DIY and make it not wear and tear as easily?
    Yes but it looks ugly. And the tail tips aren't as flowy if you got long tips.
    Formerly known as ireneho