Thread: Performing for kids

Performing for kids

Ok so I have the opportunity to be a mermaid and teach kids about the sea and how to conserve it. And you need a "story" about your mermaid. Any tips about how to figure out your points

or even can someone give me some insight on what questions the kids will ask me about being a mermaid?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania happyguava's Avatar
    It depends on the kids, but in my experience you'll get all sorts of questions from 'why do you have a tail?', 'what do mermaids eat?' to 'have you ever been on a bus?' and the all-important 'are you real?'. Some thoughts:

- Try to think of what you would have wanted to ask a mermaid when you were a kid as well, and come up with answers to those.

Be ready to think on your feet (or lack thereof!) and make things up as you go as well, but be consistent! Kids will remember something you told them earlier, and if something you say later on conflicts with that they'll pick up on it and ask you why.

- Make sure your answers to questions sound/feel natural and not over-rehearsed.

- Act just as curious and excited about learning about the human world as they are about the ocean. Remember, you're from the ocean, so you'll have no idea what a candle is, you won't understand feet or running or walking, you might not recognize some of their foods etc etc. Kids LOVE being the knowledgeable one and will revel in answering your questions. So if a kid asks you 'what do mermaids eat?' you could say something like 'well, I eat seaweed salad every day! Don't humans eat that? No? What DO humans eat?' and then be all interested. "Are you real?", "well, are YOU real?"... entertainiing and existential all in one! :P

Hope that was helpful

It was. I am a sarcastic person by nature and I thought well if a kid asks me if i am real...would me answering with "well are YOU real?" be too rude for them lol. But I have a list of questions that I have come up with but the "what do mermaids eat" is one i didn't think of. thanks! ya and I am just getting my fins wet by thinking before hand. I have a couple months before the events so I have time to rehearse forget it and think on my fins.

our event is to teach kids about conservation of water and helping to keep the lakes rivers and oceans free of pollution. so i have to work that in some how. and my favorite thing that i just have to explain to them is shipwrecks (see me and my merfamily live in the shipwrecks on the ocean floor). I want to tell them aobut all the ship wrecks and why its important to leave those ship wrecks alone and leave them down on the ocean floor.

thanks for your help happyguava and any other things that you can think of would be GREATLY appriciated

OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!

I just got an email from the events director at the children's museum saying that she was VERY interested in me being a mermaid for the kids at the museum. They are having a month of "go green" in April for the kids to learn about "going green" and the harms of pollution. And because that is what I want to teach kids about she is interested in having me there for the kids. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.

she needs to know pricing, set setup and all the normal info so now i have to get in gear and do all that as well as start making payments on my silicone tail

That's great news! Congratulations! Might I recommend Jesse for a silicone tail?
    Visit me on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/mermaidsofthegreatsaltlake

And check out my memoir of mermaid adventures and mishaps!
    http://memoirsofmermaidleiloni.blogspot.com/

Just keep swimming!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South

Way to go!

Thanks you mers! i was curious if anyone could give me pointers on setting a price for time, gas, little tokens for the kids, and stuff like that. i know each area is different, but just an idea would be helpful. Also I need to find out if they have a tank or its going to be a dry event

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South

I would think charge for gas by the distance that you have to travel by mileage

make it what you feel is fair per hour for your time

mostly a dry event , i would say

I would gander it will be a dry event to. But, if you wanted water, you could ask about bringing an inflatable pool.

You should charge for everything, INCLUDING tail and costume maintenance. Charge for time, transportation, giveaways (or ask them to provide them), etc. I usually charge a little more for a swimming event rather than a dry event, because there are some risks involved too. Depending on what you end up charging them, you may want to offer an "audition" so that they can get an idea of who you are and what you do. In my experience, they are more likely to hire you if they know what they are getting.
    Visit me on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/mermaidsofthegreatsaltlake

And check out my memoir of mermaid adventures and mishaps!
    http://memoirsofmermaidleiloni.blogspot.com/

Just keep swimming!

Honestly, I am unsure if it is going to be dry or not. The kids museum has a lot of stuff for kids to play in and on and with. They may have a place for an inflatable pool or a tank, who knows ...i am still waiting for the woman to email me back.

Transportation will be added into the price.
    Tokens for the kids are a must and who knows I may need a lot so that would be included
    I am considering charging by the hour particularly because it may be just one day or they may want me to come sat and sun and if things slow down then I can go home without either one of us feeling jipped about prices.

I'm still working on the details and figures.

Would anyone be willing to give me their estimated cost for a dry and wet event and how you figure out prices. ???? Say the event takes place an hour away from where you live.