Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to start out modeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Moongazer View Post
    I just got done with a photographer last weekend for a free shoot. He just sent me an email that says 'I'm too fat' and I only weight 115 pounds. AND it was in my mermaid tail. I mean... I can't really move well when I have it on and was really looking for some direction from him but he didn't give me any. Said my tail made me look fatter then normal and needed some tailoring. I guess he forgot that I told him it was a bit big on me...

Safe to say I will probably never work with him again. Some of the photos where not even that good...

Anyways! It's not hard to get free photoshoots if you can 'sell' yourself. That was my first 'professional' gig. He had some other harsh things to say, but just like models, photographers are a dime a dozen. Just keep doing shoots until you can find a photographer that clicks. That's what I'm looking for!

That is true Moongazer ....if it works...you know right away. And thats how it was with Jeff. He loved my sense of humor and my "can do " attitude. As far as you being "fat" (i despise that word) UNTRUE!!!! I was told that i am fat as well (not by my photographer just over the years from others.) In high school i was fat 174lbs! then i got a bad BAD BAD kidney infection that went to renal failure. I was in the hosptial hooked up to an IV. then a week later I dropped to 110lbs. now i am at 128lbs and loving it. I have C boobs a 34" bust 28"waist and 37" hips....CUUURRVVYYY

NEVER EVER EVER LET SOMEONE TELL YOU YOUR TOO FAT, SLOW, TALL, SKINNY, GUMPY, SHORT, OR ANYTHING TO ACCOMPLISH YOUR DREAMS :YAY:

You could try looking for inexperienced photographers; they are more likely to do a shoot for free and be happy to have the experience. I'd love to do some modelling myself, and have done some self portraits and gotten my husband to take some shots. Maybe you could get a friend to take some shots of you to help build up a portfolio?
    ~Daughter of the Ocean, Princess of the Waves~
    Not really active, but always mermaidy
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/FloridaMerfolk/

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Narina's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Narina's Youtube Channel
    a question that i have never figured out: who gets the photos at the end? I mean, im assuming that the photographer prints them off, but seeing as they pay the model ANd pay for printing pictures, they must need to get SOMETHING out of it right? So do they keep the pictures? Coz that would suck, if you had nothing to show (as the model) at the end of the shoot except for you money. i mean, id rather have pictures than money to be honest :3
    User previously known as "Natasha".

When I got my pictures he gave them to me on a CD and gave me a "release of property". Meaning that the photos were mine to do what I felt like with the pictures and stating that I had the rights to them. He asked if he could use them on his website to showcase his photography (and the pictures were put on a lock so that no one could copy and paste them).

But in the end you should get a "property of release" stating that the pictures are YOURS.

That's why it's best to trade if you can- their services for yours- so you both get photos for your portfolio. Like I said in my first post though, not everyone is a taker for that. Chances are if you're being paid for your modeling services, you will need to pay the photographer for their photography services if you want any pictures. Also if you don't get permission from the photographer or the release of property, the photographer is the sole copyright holder of the photos. Meaning that you can't use them for anything commercial, you can only have them for personal use only as you don't own the rights to them.

Pictures are given to you by CD (or sometimes now by email, downloading from a site or server such as dropbox, or a cloud), unless you pay for actual prints as well.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moongazer View Post
    I just got done with a photographer last weekend for a free shoot. He just sent me an email that says 'I'm too fat' and I only weight 115 pounds. AND it was in my mermaid tail. I mean... I can't really move well when I have it on and was really looking for some direction from him but he didn't give me any. Said my tail made me look fatter then normal and needed some tailoring. I guess he forgot that I told him it was a bit big on me...

Safe to say I will probably never work with him again. Some of the photos where not even that good...

Anyways! It's not hard to get free photoshoots if you can 'sell' yourself. That was my first 'professional' gig. He had some other harsh things to say, but just like models, photographers are a dime a dozen. Just keep doing shoots until you can find a photographer that clicks. That's what I'm looking for!
    That is AWFUL. If he had a review site or a Facebook page I would spam that all over for people to see. I cannot believe he thinks he's a professional photographer and can say such a thing. I'm sorry that happened to you

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Gosalyn View Post
    You could try looking for inexperienced photographers; they are more likely to do a shoot for free and be happy to have the experience. I'd love to do some modelling myself, and have done some self portraits and gotten my husband to take some shots. Maybe you could get a friend to take some shots of you to help build up a portfolio?
    I was considering this and I still am. I have I think a total of four friends that are into photography. Two of them I rarely see so they're a bit out of the question. My one good friend I feel like would TOTALLY love to do it. He's totally into the supernatural and super heroes thing. But the thing is he has a girlfriend who I don't tread nicely with. And I think she might flip her lid if she knew he was taking pictures of me at the beach x_x

Quote Originally Posted by iblondie View Post
    I was considering this and I still am. I have I think a total of four friends that are into photography. Two of them I rarely see so they're a bit out of the question. My one good friend I feel like would TOTALLY love to do it. He's totally into the supernatural and super heroes thing. But the thing is he has a girlfriend who I don't tread nicely with. And I think she might flip her lid if she knew he was taking pictures of me at the beach x_x
    Aww, man, that sucks that his girlfriend would get in the way of something he wants to do. Maybe next meet we can get some nice photos, we could even plan to spend a little time specifically on photography and modelling!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    Hey guys,

Just thought I would share with you how I got into modelling -
    If you have any colleges nearby you should check out the make up artistry department and photography dep. Students are always looking for models to practise on and get shots for their own port - go in and introduce yourself - leave a card or phone number and i will guarantee you will get some shoots from this ... once you build your own port a bit you can register on www.modemayhem.com then you can view and reply to casting calls ( TF - time for pictures - unpaid and Paid shoots ) depending on what you want to do. This is how I got started through my mother being a MUA ( Make up Artist ) and that led to many different connections. Also in Scotland we have the scottish creative network which was set up to allow people interested in collaborating with models , photographers , stylists, painters etc, to meet up once a month to meet with and organise different shoots and even sometimes we would do impromptu shoots on the evening - find a nice place and start one yourself ! you can invite people n your area by using model mayhem or other facebook pages for local creatives in the area.

Hope this was of some help x
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Thanks Melanie! That is helpful, and I never would have thought of that!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I haven't had a chance to read everyone else's replies yet, so I apologize if this stuff has been stated elsewhere,

I've been modelling professionally since 2004. I did it commercially for about 5 years, now I just do freelance and more creative projects. I do take on the odd commercial projects, but I no longer go through agencies etc.

If you decide you don't want to got through an agency and would rather freelance it, many agencies still offer valuable workshops on posture, understanding light, and expression. Connecting with any local photographers that teach classes or workshops is also a good way to get paying gigs. I do a lot of those, I am just the model for the class or for a group and they practice their lighting techniques etc on me. Websites like deviantART and modelmayhem etc are great for connecting with people locally, as well as posting on online classifieds- like we use Kijiji a lot here. Try to see if there is a local facebook group that networks photogs and models from your area. Check out colleges where they teach photography- you'll find lots of students who want to practice, as well as art colleges. Try out modelling for Dr Sketchy- another good paid gig.

Once you get a portfolio it's good to have a digital copy and a hard copy. If you want to start marketing yourself commercially many casting agencies hire models even if you don't act, to do background work in TV and movies, as well as lots of print work. So find out what the casting agencies are around you and give them a head shot and your measurements. Really in the beginning, it's like anything else, it's all about networking. You can make a full time living with modelling, it just takes a lot of ground work to get going. You also need to have a thick skin, depending on where you live, I find smaller cities can be vicious.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything more specific. For now I hope that helps. My modelling does not focus mainly on my mermaid stuff, but my mermaid stuff does get featured from time to time

You should know your limits on style and nudity. If you don't want to do glamor work or are bumpy doing full nudity, speak up and don't let people push you past those limits. Also, consider where you want your career to go in the future. Sure, you may be comfortable doing glamor now, but what if you decide you want to do fashion or directory work in the future? You might be discriminated against if they know you have done this line of job.

Are you looking for real fashion
    Last edited by Brooke; 10-21-2013 at 07:17 AM.