Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I have a confession to make.

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    I love every bit of seafood I can get in my mouth D: SO YUMMY. Maybe I'll do sushi Friday...

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    I have a confession to make. I love the ocean and all it's creatures. But I have a fear of waves, and swimming in the surf at the beach. This may be because I am blind as a bat :-) . I just have really bad nearsighted vision, and I don't like wearing contacts in the water, so the waves to me look a hundred feet larger than they actually are! I'm scared that I might get crushed by one. I'd love to one day swim in the ocean and not have this fear... but till then I'm in the shallows. Believe me if you saw the ocean like I see it without good vision, you may get scared too.

My confession is I love almost every animal in the ocean... but I have a love/hate relationship with great white sharks. I think they are amazing creatures, yes, but I also know a few people who have been killed, and one who has been attacked, by them. These are local people who I know through the surfing community. And so I can never truly 'like' these sharks. I will always have a fear that one day I will get a call saying my father didn't come back from his surf.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    what money?! lol
    what money? lol for doing childrens events with certain photographers I am getting offered 50-60$ an hour so for a 2 hr event i get 100-120$ and thats just me showing up. And I dont mean like kids birthdays. I just mean that my fave photographers are wanting me to be a mermaid at events for kids to teach them about the ocean and help with benefits for kids with cancer. The parents are chipping in to pay for me to give their kids a learning experiece and to give them something to remember. I told them that I would be happy to do the benefits for free but they thought that was unfair. One mother even told me that it would be rude of her not to give me some cash for my time for spending with kids. I do feel bad about it. But i am going to put the money into fabric to make tails for kids (not actual closed tails however)

Im not in this for the money or glory at all... Im in it to bring awareness to the ocean and to teach kids to have dreams! Ayla, you're so lucky to have your mermaid career handed to you by your parents (honestly no offense)! Im turning all jelly xD! I volunteer like you, Lei Loni, and have spent a little too much lol! And i am a sushi addict I dont have many of my own confessions though...
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Member Rocky Mountain Pod Shivice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla of Duluth View Post
    Thats fine every mermaid is different.
    My confession is that I'm not all that concerned about the ocean or its creatures. All the talk about saving the oceans and stopping over fishing and all that, I just scroll through it. Strange, because I care about the forests and woodland creatures instead. I hate hunters, will never touch a gun, will never touch venison or fowl, etc.
    Is this gonna be a confession thread?
    What about the peple who are poachers in the ocean??

Exactly what i thought Shivice! Poachers suck. And so do hunters. maybe you should be a forest nymph, Ayla! Lol Jk! The forest has always held a special place in my heart too, and i care about it a whole bunch, and you look awesome as a mermaid btw!
    formerly known as Kalani

Poachers in the ocean don't ry raise any concerns for me. I guess mostly its because I live up in Minnesota and ocean conservation stuff doesn't really reach us as much up here, and I think another part of it is that the ocean just seems so big to me that a few rogue poachers can't do any unrepairable damage.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Dacora's Avatar

Re: I have a confession to make.

I am a huge animal lover, of all the aniamls, but goodness some of them taste amazing. Aslong as the population is stong and they where not killed in a painful way I am ok with it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I completely understand, Ayla. Many things about the forests dont reach me where i am either, but they do play a major role in the Earth Cycle and Dacora, im the same exact way. As long as its pain free, high in count, and most of all, not wasteful, im ok Tried to go Vegie, but lasted a year. Cant go without my bacon! <3
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of Texas Dacora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
    I completely understand, Ayla. Many things about the forests dont reach me where i am either, but they do play a major role in the Earth Cycle and Dacora, im the same exact way. As long as its pain free, high in count, and most of all, not wasteful, im ok Tried to go Vegie, but lasted a year. Cant go without my bacon! <3
    I attempted to try being a vegetarian, but I have issues with my stomach and I cant handle a lot of food and a lot of the food I can handle is mainly meat. Wastefulness is one of my biggest peeves. My family and I hunt and fish for meat when we can and what we cant eat we give to my dogs, minus the bones and skin. My grandpa used to make blankets out of the deer skins but he cant do it anymore due to old age and not having the tools anymore. He saves the deer horns for making horn chandeliers, it kinda creeps me out though. So either we eat it, something else eats it, becomes decor or biodegrades.
    I cant stand going out hunting and finding a carcass with only a few parts missing. Luckily the hunters around here don't do it often. I have seen people get road kill deer and hog if its "fresh" enough.

I'm so sorry if that disturbed anyone....

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    what money?! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lei Loni View Post
    I have to second Raina on the "what money?" part of the equation. That's my confession, I too often volunteer my skills, and end up spending hundreds of dollars on an event, for no reason. I'm never going to get much more professional without charging people more, I just happen to love what I do a little too much.

And I won't lie, I've spent more time, energy, and money on mermaiding than I have on things that I actually should be spending the time and money on like that Dr's appointment I've been putting off........and those important repairs for my car (but who needs a car when you have a tail, right?!)........and that dental surgery I need.....eep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alveric View Post
    Money? And Mermaids?

The Accidental Mermaid has netted me abot $20 a month in royalties so far.
    Of course, I'd do it all again for nothing.
    I guess I'm more fortunate then, in the sense that my parents cover the costs of almost everything in my mermaiding endeavor. They bought my Raven tail, they buy supplies whenever I need them, and provide me with transportation to and from events. So far a 3.5K adventure hasn't cost me a penny. Unless you count the graphic designer who made my logo, but that was only a hundred bucks. I have a feeling I'll be making a decent sum of money.

And yes, I understand that every mermaid out there has some other means of income, as do I. I hardly expected this to make me a living, it was more of an activity to keep me busy between shifts at work.

Haha sushi is good but I try not to eat anything with tuna due to the whole
    blue-fin stuff. Though I don't think they even sell blue-fin outside Japan anymore because that
    shit is like GOLD over there.
    Still, I like to avoid it anyway xD

You shouldn't be ashamed to like eating something, but you should at least be conscious about
    your decisions too! I think eating sushi isn't so bad, but maybe learn what's in it so you don't
    abuse anything.

Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Pure and simply I am in this for the costume :3 Me and the sea are at odds with each other... I wont go in anymore for fear of something getting me >.> there's a reason we aren't born with fish tails lol I don't have an affinity for sea conservation either but I do find the efforts on the forum admirable as it is a good cause. I'll be honest unless I won the lottery soon and didn't have to worry about surviving day to day I would be more get involved. That's not to say I haven't done environmental work or stuff for good causes before :3 because I definitely have, its just not at the forefront of my mind atm.
    That said, I cant even swim! I have a fear of water on my face and I freeze up and stop breathing. Working on overcoming it as I would love to do a shoot in the sea with all those beautiful places :3

I LOVE eating seafood! I actually was a pescatarian for a while and tend to lean more towards that diet when I can... Tho, I can't turn down a good steak >.>

I'm new to this whole mermaid thing, but I don't honestly think I want to do children's parties <.< I'm more of a cat person than a kid person XD

I'm not an activist, either, but I'm not naive.

Another confession? I spend way too much money on costumes T_T but they make me happy!!
    Give my facebook page a like and I'll return the support!
    http://www.facebook.com/JinaDModel

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Bella's Avatar
    Wait wait wait wait...... wait.....

Someone is making money? Lol.

Actually I have done children's entertainment before but never as a mermaid for some reason, I've done clown, done puppets, singing, dancing act. in the past I would have said that I don't like children as I am a mid level mysophobic (autocorrect almost made that homophobic... awkward!) so kids were just germ factories for a while there, but as I got older they grew on me, it might have started during a pregnancy scare to think of it, also my best friend has two daughters who are just fantastic... nearly cried when the youngest scratched her butt before lunch but I held it together and made her wash her hands lol.

As for why I'm a mer. I would say love of swimming and dressing up, excitement of doing something that people won't understand but will be fascinated with and ...erm.... ok.so j used to be in the circus.. and I want to start doing that again, so being a mermaid is my way of connecting with the past while having fun in the present. as for the future... I'm looking into being an art teacher

Oh also I'm allergic to sea food hahahah not a convincing mermaid....

and I read that someone ia using puppies and kittens as croc bait?????? We just use chicken... or people!!! Are you sure it wasn't a hoax? Don't you guys have animal welfare systems??

Confessions? Oh... I'm in pretty much for the friends of like minds and to have fun. Plus I do like attention and look forward to entertaining the kiddos as a mermaid. For now I'm settling with the pool though! I do care about the oceans but I'm not madly passionate. I do shed tears when I see beached creatures and polluted shores, though.

It'd be nice to make money to fund a new tail faster, but I'm A-OK with volunteering and making friends!

My confession is that I am afraid to fly.

What's crazy about it is that I am a pure adrenaline junkie, i.e. roller coasters, human sling shot, stuff like that.

I really want to sky dive, but can't bring myself to get on the plane in the first place.

When roller coasters are concerned, I have driven half way across the country to ride them. I have been on some of the biggest in the US. I have Kings Island 20 minutes from me, Cedar Point 6 hours north of me, Busch Gardens VA 8 hours to the east, etc.

There is one roller coaster that I have counted every single time I have ridden it. It is the Diamondback roller coaster at Kings Island. I ride 20 to 50 times in one day! I am up to 1,035 rides on Diamondback, and I can say that even though it is the same exact ride, the experience is always different.

I went to Chicago earlier this year to ride a new coaster. I planned my day to make sure this coaster was my 100th steel coaster, and at the same time being my 125 coaster, period. My track count at this time is 101 steel, 27 wood.

My all time favorite roller coaster is KUMBA at Busch Gardens Tampa. Here is a pic that I took when I was there this past July:
    Name:  524031_3490826431532_33080970_n.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  236.1 KB

Then, attached are Diamondback and X Flight.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by MermanJesse; 10-01-2012 at 11:40 PM.

^ Those look super fun!! I'm so jealous!!! We don't have anything like that in the PNW!
    Give my facebook page a like and I'll return the support!
    http://www.facebook.com/JinaDModel

Wow Jesse, that's awesome! I really dont enjoy roller coasters though, so i guess thats a confession? Yeah, i can take some, but will NEVER do anything as extreme as you!
    formerly known as Kalani