Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victorian Mermaids

Junior Member Pod of Oceania Melbourne Mermaid's Avatar

Victorian Mermaids

I've notice the other thread on our pod becoming a bit of an Aussie-Introduction thread and thought maybe we should have a thread specifically dedicated to us Melbournians where we can talk about good spots to swim, where to get materials from or discuss shipping from tail-makers, even maybe when the weathers better organise a meet-up thats centralised to everyone

I myself have just received my ocenika fin and am dying to try it out but it hasn't quite been warm enough yet
    -I actually went on a trip to the store that sells them in person, called The White Vase. They where lovely but unfortunately only sold it with the set of bikini top and leggings which in no way would fit me, so i ordered it online and received it within 4 working days
    I've just been sitting around the house in it, which makes it difficult when i try and get a drink and have forgotten i'm wearing it
    Considering going to an indoor pool because i'm becoming so impatient

My tail itself i don't plan to start until early next year and I am planning on making it myself

Swimming-wise, well i live in a suburb just out from Frankston. Although i've never had any negative experiences personally, I don't want ot start now. I do love Chelsea beach though, it's very nice, close to shops and has a lifesaving club so I think that's where I'll be swimming once my tail is ready.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania happyguava's Avatar
    Welcome! I'm from Mermaidens, we're a pod of professional mermaids also based in Melbourne.

Congrats on getting the merfin - I haven't swum with one but I've heard good things. I'll be really interested to hear how you find it!

Most indoor pools will let you use a monofin or a tail, as long as you're in the "aqua play" part of the pool, you're keeping out of peoples' way etc. I've swum at several different pools and never had problems, except once in a wave pool, but that was a safety thing because of the waves. I haven't been to Frankston myself, but I've heard all the stories and cliches As you say, Chelsea beach is pretty nice, and there are lots of nice beaches out that way. It goes without saying that you should always swim supervised, especially at the beach, and be ready for the water to be COLD. We've done a few shoots in the ocean over the past month and it's been freezing (like, pink all over/can't feel anything freezing), but it'll be bearable within the next couple of months!

I have to admit after seeing this thread title come up in the feed, I was somewhat disappointed to discover that it wasn't about Steampunk Mermaids in petticoats and clockwork tails or something. I really do have to visit Australia sometime soon, though... it looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained! View Post
    I have to admit after seeing this thread title come up in the feed, I was somewhat disappointed to discover that it wasn't about Steampunk Mermaids in petticoats and clockwork tails or something. I really do have to visit Australia sometime soon, though... it looks amazing!
    LOL I thought the same thing!
    Anywho, hello Aussie friends! *waves*

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Bella's Avatar
    OMG! i was at chelsey beach on friday!!! you know... during the day where it rained for 12 straight hours lol, it was unbearably cold hahaha!!! im going to kilsyth pools, probably this wednesday or friday if anyone wants to come, im dying to go in the rockpool!! has anyone been in there yet?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Artisankatie's Avatar
    Ello!

Another Mermaiden here *pokes happyguava*

I very recently lived in Mordialloc (5 minutes walk to the beach haha) but I've had to move to Notting Hill to be closer to uni (Monash Clayton) - though now it's a 5 minute walk there haha.

If you guys want to take photos of yourselves as mermaids at the beach, I recommend you go a bit further up and head to Mentone! If the conditions are right, there's a nice big rock you can climb on, and also a broken jetty that looks awesome :P

I've never been to the Kilsyth pools, I might have to make the trip one day

stempunk mermaids would be very cool indeed.

kilsyth pools seems interesting, i'm sorry i missed the post! i've been quite busy lately and have been offline a lot.

I did get to try my tail out though. Guava was right, the water was ice cold. What was worse was the wind and waves, I got stuck on the bank getting pulled in and out and scraped along the ilttle sharp shells each time. Still i tried for 10 minutes, eventually got in the water with some help from a friend but once in was so concerned with the waves i couldn't swim.

All in all quite a bad experience, but i'm not giving up! need to go on a calmer day or try a pool. and to go with someone that can carry me. :P

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Artisankatie's Avatar
    If you do get to a pool, it might pay to practise getting your tail off as fast as you can while you're in water where you can't touch the bottom (only if you're a confident swimmer obviously). I have my share of blubber, so I float pretty easily and I don't have much of an issue, but my partner floats like a brick haha.

So went for my first proper-swim in my fin and loved it. Went to Casey Race pools in Cranbourne, plenty of pools and space to practice with verying levels of depth. Was pretty quiet too as went at off-peak times. I used a noodle to assist a lot of the time as i'm not a strong swimmer, going to a mates small pool on Wednesday to practice more. Such an odd feeling when i took my mono fin off whilst still in the water, my legs where so light and i was flailing them everywhere. It was like i'd forgotten how to use them XD

ahaha, i remember my first post tail leg flail, its like...... you dont know what to do with the other leg, and you seem to be getting nowhere fast, so you try the arms and that just makes you sink, then you try this sort of frog launching octopus/squid move.

after that its time to give up and walk.

what would you say if i told you that this was in victoria?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    I live an hour and a bit away from Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road. If you're looking for great places to swim, almost anywhere along here is awesome.

I would say that place is freaking beautiful and i would very much like to know where it is Bella.

Anna, i have yet to visit Great Ocean Road but my sister holidays there often and tells me it as some pretty beaches. I'll keep it in mind for future when i get my tail sorted

On that note, anyone else have any favourite places for photoshoots or just casual swims whilst mermaiding?

And is anyone interested in having a mer-meet-and-swim early next year? Say late January or early February?

i am very interested in a mermeet. the stream is in mt buffalo, about an hours drive from the melbourne cbd, i went there as a child and we swam in crystal blue waterfall streams, the rocks werent slimy or anything, as the water is always moving. you have to trek up the mountain to get to these pools but they are breathtaking!

i go to chesley beach a fair bit as my best friend is up that way, but have yet to find anything that i can swim properly in, lakes gross me out and are usually a nest of germs, rivers are nice but often too shallow and i get weird looks at swimming pools. i wish i had my own pool again, *sigh*

Hope everyone had a fantasctic christmas, weather was quite lovely i thought.

I'll Keep that place in mind for when i want t do photoshoots, looks beautiful

Chelsea beach is good because not only is it a nice beach it has lifeguards and shops for food right near it.

The water has been very calm down this way of late. The other option is to go to a pool, we'd have to let them know before hand.

We' want it to be easy access from public transport but alos an even distance from everyone roughly. For example, i only have to travel 15 minutes for chelsea beach. but others might have to travel an hour to 2 hours.

But first we need more interest, depending on what date we choose i may not have a tail yet so could be a bit awkward with only 1 mer and 1 person in a merfin. We'll see

I think a pool would be best. Safe, easy to swim in, lifeguards and no sealife to potentially hurt.

One with an outdoor pool would be nice, I'm not sure if kilsyth has outdoor pools as well but they do have a very cute rock pool.

How many people are interested?

Apparently there's not much interest, that or people don't check mernetwork very often. you could try to post it on the fb page or individually message those who ou know are melbmers

Or create a new thread. I still will be tailless for awhile sadly

Senior Member Pod of The South
    I just wanted to say that EVERY TIME I see this thread I get really excited thinking it's about mermaids in the Victorian period.

Not that Australia isn't also very exciting. It's just never what I expect, no matter how many times I click the thread when it comes up under "New Posts."

Its not about mermaids with bustles? Dang!
    H.P. Lovecraft “You fool, Warren is DEAD!”

oh no thats the Edwardian mermaids thread, but then you might find some twilight fans getting disappointed...