Thread: Neoprene Vs. Neoprin

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel

Neoprene Vs. Neoprin

Ok, So I have noticed a LOT of people who have been asking what the difference between neoprene and neoprin is. I just so happened to have samples at home of both, so I decided to take some photos and a video. Please forgive the sound of the video, I shot it by myself with the camera on my phone.

Neoprene is on the left, Neoprin is on the right (same positioning for all photos and video.
    Name:  375.jpg
Views: 2378
Size:  17.5 KB

It's REALLY hard to see, but with the Neoprene there is a layer of black rubber between the 2 layers of fabric. There are some kinds of neoprene that have only one layer of fabric. This layer of rubber helps make the fabric a bit more sturdier and helps it to maintain its shape.
    Name:  376.jpg
Views: 2383
Size:  29.8 KB

As you can see with the Neoprin (or Spacer), it does not have this layer of rubber. What it does have is a ton of tiny little fibers that hold the 2 sides together. This makes for a HIGHLY stretchable fabric, but no where near as sturdy as Neoprene.
    Name:  377.jpg
Views: 2498
Size:  30.5 KB

Here is the video I made. I apologize for the sound, but as I don't actually speak, feel free to mute the video. I am working on getting better video, or at least finding someone to help me shoot a better video.

As you can see, I got through and twist and stretch the fabric. The neoprene always goes back to the same shape, this is due to the layer of rubber. The neoprin always ends up distorted after each test. There is very little if any bounce back with the neoprin, meaning it doesn't maintain its shape well. And I am sure with constant use, this material would not make a good tail as once it stretched, the fabric distorts and begins to break down from its original shape.

I hope this helps everyone in determining which fabric they would rather use to make their tail. I know, for myself and my products, I would rather spend the extra money for the good quality of actual Neoprene.
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I actually included a description as well in the most recent issue of Tail Flip on this topic My tail was made out of neoprin (my mertailor one) and the stretch was terrible. I had it taken in twice, and it still continued to stretch and stretch until it basically has holes. The paint also cracks and then comes off because of the stretch. Raven had added a strip of neoprene to the top so it would cover my butt (it has originally been too short) and when I had something to compare it to I realized neoprin was very scratchy as well compared to neoprene. It was really frustrating for me at the time. I would also rather spend extra money for neoprene!

Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    I figured I'd post pictures and video People seemed to have a hard time understanding when I tried to explain it to them, so I thought visuals might help

For someone who "prides them self" on making such high quality tails, you would think he would know that neoprin shouldn't be used for a tail because of the fact it keeps stretching. Instead he uses it as a cheaper option to neoprene... What I don't understand is that he could use actual neoprene and still afford to sell his tails at the price he is selling them at
    Last edited by Morticia Mermaid; 10-05-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website

Senior Member North Pacific Pod LindseyLu's Avatar
    The video says it is private so I can't watch it. I had bought some neoprin online that was advertised as neoprene...I knew as soon as I got it it wasn't. I tried to play with it anyway to see if it would work for what I wanted. All I can say is it was crap. I tried to paint it, and it made my jacquard paints look like I had used crayons. And as Raina already stated, the stretch was horrible! After the paint test I wrapped the swatch around a bottle to test the resistance and see if the paint would warp/crack...well, the material warped and never did fall back into it's original shape. Thumbs down on neoprin

Oops. I fixed the settings. Hopefully it works now. Heads a bit foggy today, major headache this morning

I have some images in my review too that show the difference.

inside:

you can see the difference with the neoprin on the bottom. The fibers look different even from here, very scratchy.

NeoPRENE on left, neoPRIN on right. You can see how the right continued to stretch and deform. When Raven first gave it back to me the scale shape was the same on both pieces because she re-did the alex plus. The neoprene saved it's shape, the neoprin didn't and you can see all the places the paint is coming off and cracking.

this was a hole in neoprin from stretching.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    I think the stuff that I got is technically neoprin also, though it was advertised as neoprene. So don't get neoprene from stretchhouse, though you should be wary of them anyway.

Thank you so much for posting this! I now see that my old tail was actually NEOPRIN when i wanted neoprene If the store only knew their fabrics, 200 dollars wouldnt have been wasted, my tail wouldnt be a fail, and id be a happy mer oh well! mistakes are bound to happen at some point, right?
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member North Pacific Pod LindseyLu's Avatar
    Exactly Shymer!!!! I couldn't remember the name of the sight but it WAS stretchhouse!! They advertise it as neoprene and it's not!!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Caidence's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Caidence's Youtube Channel
    Hmmmm, I'm kind of concerned seeing as I'm making my sequn tail out of neoprin. Although, my neoprin doesn't seem to be as bad as the neoprin in the video.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Serinessa

Caitlin- I'd do some testing with the tail after you get it together and before you put the sequins on. Swim in a couple times to see how it holds up before going through all that time to get the sequins on it. That way you can determine if you really want to put the sequins on that, or get neoprene to put them on

stretching the material pre-use the same way you would a canvas can help

Lexia- i think Caitlin already started putting sequins on, but i really hope everything works out for her tail cause by the looks of it, its gonna be AmAzInG!!!!!
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Are you gluing or sewing Caitlin? Cause if you are sewing and the neoprin doesn't work out, you could always remove them. And if you are gluing, the glue might actually help the neoprin hold up and not break down. I've not tried, so I can't say exactlyI may pick up some e6000 and test out some of my sequins on the samples I've got. If I do, I'll make sure to post pictures and such

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Caidence's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Caidence's Youtube Channel
    Yes, I'm glueing using e-6000, I'll see if I can go swimming to test it out. I purchased stretch neoprin black number 9460 from spandex world. Thanks!
    Formerly known as Mermaid Serinessa

Thanks for the visuals Lexia! Going to add this to the reference list

Yeah, I can't say anyone I know who made or bought a neoprin tail is happy with the way the fabric acts. I advise against it- making or buying. Especially for something like a sequin tail where it's very time consuming and labor intensive. I think it's most defiantly worth it to pay extra for neoprene.

I need to retire my neoprene and latex tail and start using my neoprin and alex plus tail (both Mertailor), and I already hate that thing. Having to do so many mods just to get it to fit right, and no doubt I'll have to take it in as time goes by. It's a world of difference between neoprene and neoprin, and actual latex and tin cure latex. To me it's worth it to pay extra for the good stuff, if it's neoprene vs neoprin or slip casting vs tin cure latex.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Thanks Iona I'm glad you think so.

I understand the whole needing to have a neoprin tail taken in. I'm going to attempt to take in Moon's tail while she is here for the meet up (assuming everyone still wants to go, with how few people want to/ can go)

This makes so much more sense now!!! Thank you for posting this!
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

thank you so much for posting this Morticia Mermaid, im just ordered some swatches of neoprene from Mood Designer Fabric's i hope i ordered the rite ones for my silicone tail being made for me , so i understand that if it say's "spacer" that is not neoprene, but neoprin? some of the place i looked into had "spacer" next to neoprene on it .

I've got some updates to add to this thread. Have been doing some testing on some neoprin I picked up a while ago. Think you all would be interested in the results I've had. Can't post them just yet as they are all packed up somewhere (currently in the process of moving). But, once I find the test samples I will take pictures and video to share here.