Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-Fish Maids?

Follow Sherl On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by roamingstudio View Post
    Hmm turn into girls to seducethe guys?
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie#section_1
    Yes, but I have read instances where transforming into guys was more common. The stories can be found on the Internet, particularly the one involving a kelpie, in the form of a man, getting a maiden to comb his hair. Upon finding seaweed in his hair, she flees, and looks back to see a horse chasing after her. Of course, kelpies don't actually have tails, which I should have pointed out earlier. Hippocampuses, or hippocampi, do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocamp
    Always in need of Vitamin Sea!

I've never had a swimmable tail but once I do, I'll want it to be a manatee tail. I might try making a one-piece. A rounded monofin will do really well for the manatee paddle, and since they use their paddles so much to help them move around, I'll feel totally in-character using my arms to help me move around under water, too.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Indialanta View Post
    I've never had a swimmable tail but once I do, I'll want it to be a manatee tail. I might try making a one-piece. A rounded monofin will do really well for the manatee paddle, and since they use their paddles so much to help them move around, I'll feel totally in-character using my arms to help me move around under water, too.
    As most monofins have a rounded shape, this would probably be pretty easy? Would you go for the grey/brown of a manatee?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Your ideas are very interesting, angie. I can not wait to see what you come up with, especially if you do the selkie or eel tail!
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    As most monofins have a rounded shape, this would probably be pretty easy? Would you go for the grey/brown of a manatee?
    Yup, probably more grey than brown.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    If you go w/ the grey you could probably airbrush a tad bit of other colors on so it looks more realistic??
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

what about a jellyfish mermaid? *o*

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    FYI Ursula is a Cecaelia

I'm planning on making a dolphin Tail, maybe a bottle nose dolphin because they are native to my country's waters.
    I also kind of want to have webbed hands. I swim with these paddles on my hands to help with speed in breaststroke so I thought it would be cool to add it to my mermaid look.

I keep doing concept sketches for non-fish-mermaids. I'm working on the logistics of a cecaelia now, actually, including how to deal with the extra "legs" so that they aren't completely limp or stuffed with floating foam. I'm halfway through the fourth attempt at the tentacle-fins for the feet. I figure if I can make a swimmable cecaelia costume, I can make all the other designs I've been playing with. Sharing some sketches:
    Name:  Selachii.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  eelmaid.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  33.7 KB
    Name:  Cetacia.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  34.8 KB
    Name:  Naga.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  35.9 KB