Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid tails from The Movie Hook.... and Power Ranger?

As far as longer tails go, Nykur posted this video in the "Non-Fish Maids?" section and I think it is an ideal design for longer tails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXii...layer_embedded

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarian View Post
    I've come across this photo multiple times on the net.
    Attachment 7412

And I've come across a set of photo's that included these...

They both look VERY similar to the structure used for the 'Hook' tails. I think these may be from some Malaysian or Philippine soap. I doubt the tails were cgi though

actually the last two pictures are the mermaid From Light Speed Rescue that i mentioned
    That Marina's orange tail.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Quote Originally Posted by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained! View Post
    As far as longer tails go, Nykur posted this video in the "Non-Fish Maids?" section and I think it is an ideal design for longer tails.

Actually I've seen this video before i love the longer look of the tails and the design is simple but the tails extension after the fluke is flat and though it flows wonderfully it there was a way to fill it in somehow and still keep the flowy movement then it would be exactly what i'm looking for.

So i think we have pretty much covered the fact that the Mermaid Tails from Hook WERE NOT CGI and were made as was the tail of the mermaid from Light Speed Rescue
    the question Still at hand is HOW were they made and How would we go about replicating them.

come one guy i know there are some very Creative mers swimming around here. if you had to remake the tails how would you go about doing it so they not only look longer like they are in movie but function fairly well under the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Actually the tails from that movie are CGI. I know they LOOK real, but that's what good CGI looks like, and why only a few seconds can cost tens of thousands of dollars! There's no way real legs could bend that way, silicone or not. Sorry :/

If you wanted to make ones similar, they'd be the same kind of technique for H2O, but you don't have to go through all the layers if you don't want to. One mer I've never seen anyone mention was Mermaid Bri, who made a tail that was long and slender like that. From what she told me it was the same kind of deal. You can find her on YouTube as well. However her tail seems more for looking the part than actually aiding in swimming.

Attachment 7409

I have this picture and i adore mermaid Bri. the tial is interesting but i want something that looks good on land and in water and functions just as fairly

They could be made out of urethane, for the sleek look.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

You can find Mermaid Bri's tail in action here. It looks like she extended the monofin somehow, but isn't getting much propulsion from it. It's really flowy, like the tails in Joy's video. I can't tell if she put it at an angle or not.

Loving this thread!

Mermaid Photine
    Previously known as Memaid Pandorah

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    How about making that tails from that breathing test video, out of silicone and just fill it up with silicone, although then it would be very heavy....

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    How bout this???
    Name:  extention.png
Views: 2363
Size:  107.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained! View Post

That's a film that Hannah Fraser was in. Although I haven't seen a single update from them for the past 4 years. =/ If you wanted to make/swim in a tail like this, be forewarned that the flowing fabric at the end will create some serious drag, so be ready and able to really work at swimming. And have a mertender with you in case something goes wrong.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykur View Post
    How bout this???
    Yeah I think that looks pretty cool! im thinking they probably just added lots more material in the movie. like they made a solid (probably heavy) prosthetic type thing and used some movie magic for the swimming (wires and currents and such)

I feel bad that I don't have more to contribute to this aside from - OMG!! I LOVE THE HOOK MERMAIDS! GAH!! < Pardon the fan girl moment there, but those three mermaids have always been my favourites! Their tails are also my most favourite design for a mermaid tail. AND the sparkles are so beautiful. Such a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nykur View Post
    How bout this???
    This is actually a really great idea...no i take it back, that the greatest ide ever now that I'm planning it all out, this might just actually work!
    YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    I don't know, Calypso, I don't know how much propulsion you'd get from modding a monofin that way. I feel like any good kick you might get from a competetor type monofin like that would be taken away by the cut. I think it's a nice thought, I just wonder if it would do anything, and I don't want you to end up ruining a perfectly wonderful monofin.

I would suggest looking for more options before going with this one. I don't know that this wouldn't work, it just looks iffy to me.

I think that's a great idea, but I think the monofin would be unstable cut that way :/ They're built to handle the stress of swimming a certian way (thus the stiffeners and areas where the fiberglass is denser or thicker- the striped parts), and I have a feeling it would snap if cut that way. Maybe forgo having the monofin be the side fins too, and go for a Trainer 1 or Shooter Monofin instead?

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

what if i could form an extra monofin in the lower tail part? or extend it somehow. i understand about not ruining a good monofin simply for an idea that won't work but i'm not seeing any other idea and this really is the best one I've heard so far.

Hi! i found this picture on the net, on a deutch blog, they suppose it to be the red mermaid tail from "hook"... I'm thinking of making a "long tail" too, maybe this can help you a bit more...hope so! (I know the post is various months old...hope you still need it...)
    Name:  25016210150202814997424.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  52.6 KB

Senior Member Euro Pod Sammi Ray's Avatar
    I found this, It's a monofin which has a much larger foot pocket where the monofin joins at the toes. Where as the tempo/wave or competitor is half way under the foot. (It looks like it anyway! ) so instead of making it more complicated then try this? Just a suggestion

About the monofin

"the video is of my son Ant. His fin is custom made by a spearfishing fin manufacturer in Australia DiveR Fins. The blade is mounted in a Leaderfin footpocket."
    Last edited by Sammi Ray; 01-11-2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: added some words
    glub glub, glub....glub. ^_^

user formerly known as _PeBBles_

Quote Originally Posted by _PeBBles_ View Post
    I found this, It's a monofin which has a much larger foot pocket where the monofin joins at the toes. Where as the tempo/wave or competitor is half way under the foot. (It looks like it anyway! ) so instead of making it more complicated then try this? Just a suggestion

About the monofin
    "the video is of my son Ant. His fin is custom made by a spearfishing fin manufacturer in Australia DiveR Fins. The blade is mounted in a Leaderfin footpocket."

OMG this is ingenious!! i would have never thought of simply extending the monofin pockets. this idea could like revolutionize mermaiding forever....nobody tell eric! jkjk
    any way i would love to won one of these monfins but i just bet it cost an arm and a leg...er fin

Senior Member Euro Pod Sammi Ray's Avatar
    I know it probably costs a couple hundred more for the monofin but it would be A LOT easier than trying to extend it yourself and with no mistakes its already been done for you! Just send them an e-mail and find out how much Maybe if you told them how much you have and if there is a cheaper blade it could work I would rather have one made then mess a competitor up as they are too expensive to mess around with! (well for me as i am a pour merlady)
    glub glub, glub....glub. ^_^

user formerly known as _PeBBles_